Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v6 | Fri, Sept 13 | vs StL | 7pm ET/4pm PT | TBA vs TBA Ohtanis Makes History

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think Vladdy, Bo being Bo, a big bat (via FA or trade), and Horwitz is a good hitting core. If they can get 2 legit bats, even better. Tigers have a bunch of slightly above average hitters looking at their OPS+ and one starting pitcher and they are in the playoffs. There’s definitely a path to contention next year.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I think Vladdy, Bo being Bo, a big bat (via FA or trade), and Horwitz is a good hitting core. If they can get 2 legit bats, even better. Tigers have a bunch of slightly above average hitters looking at their OPS+ and one starting pitcher and they are in the playoffs. There’s definitely a path to contention next year.

1727899667496.png

Neat little factoid I came across the other day......and at the same time rather depressing because Detroit's still playing and the Jays aren't. :laugh:

The Jays, aside from Vladdy going beast mode, seemed like a team chock-full of utility players just trying to make a go of it.

Horwitz, Clement, Barger, Wagner, De Los Santos, Loperfido, and let's not forget Davis Schneider having the slumpiest season there ever was.

Who's the everyday 3B next season? How about 2B?

Atkins has his work cut out for him.....but at this point I wouldn't trust him to plan a two-car parade.

Hope he's got a plan.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

henryasteroidlionnet

May 4, 2024

Atkins on offensive needs: "Power is low-hanging fruit to add. In today's game, you have to be cognizant of strikeouts when you do do that." Also says contact is "exceptionally important" in the playoffs, so "not as simple as plug in a power bat" unless they're versatile.​

Four of the six division winners are in the top 10 for home runs hit in 2024.

The Jays are 26th.

Want to talk about playing the game today, Ross? Home runs are absolutely a central part of it.

Get this clown out of here, please.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Atkins on offensive needs: "Power is low-hanging fruit to add. In today's game, you have to be cognizant of strikeouts when you do do that." Also says contact is "exceptionally important" in the playoffs, so "not as simple as plug in a power bat" unless they're versatile.​

The Jays are 26th.

Want to talk about playing the game today, Ross? Home runs are absolutely a central part of it.

No doubt he's kept an eye on the many Jays fans online pushing to take a run at Soto in the offseason.

His response is probably Atkins' clumsy way of pouring cold water on that idea. :shakehead

Last edited:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
No doubt he's kept an eye on the many Jays fans online pushing to take a run at Soto in the offseason.

His response is probably Atkins' clumsy way of pouring cold water on that idea. :shakehead
I... don't get it. If anything, when he says you want to add power while being cognizant of strikeouts, he's literally describing Soto.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I... don't get it. If anything, when he says you want to add power while being cognizant of strikeouts, he's literally describing Soto.

Hey if the Jays manage to land Soto this winter I'll applaud Atkins like everyone else. Huge move.

But to me his quote came across as more of a "we're going to build internally" type of approach as opposed to targeting the big fish on the market.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Hey if the Jays manage to land Soto this winter I'll applaud Atkins like everyone else. Huge move.

But to me his quote came across as more of a "we're going to build internally" type of approach as opposed to targeting the big fish on the market.

That doesn't compute to me, though. They tried that past off season. What I got from Atkins is that they know they f***ed up and they will obsessive about trying to improve. I 100% believe they will target big free agents.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
That doesn't compute to me, though. They tried that past off season. What I got from Atkins is that they know they f***ed up and they will obsessive about trying to improve. I 100% believe they will target big free agents.

Hope so. If their jobs weren't on the line last season - miraculously - they sure as hell are now.

At least one would like to think so, anyway.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Hope so. If their jobs weren't on the line last season - miraculously - they sure as hell are now.

At least one would like to think so, anyway.
They have always pursued big free agents: Springer, Gausman and Ryu were probably the biggest names on the market their respective seasons. They went hard on Ohtani as well. There just wasn’t much there last off season.

No way Soto signs here, so let’s forget about that. Let’s see a bold baseball trade.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
They have always pursued big free agents: Springer, Gausman and Ryu were probably the biggest names on the market their respective seasons. They went hard on Ohtani as well. There just wasn’t much there last off season.

No way Soto signs here, so let’s forget about that. Let’s see a bold baseball trade.

I'd settle for a Vladdy extension announcement, if we're looking at positive news this offseason.

Not expecting that anytime soon but hopefully before spring training anyway.

As for "bold baseball trades", who'd you have in mind? Reliable bullpen arm or power-hitting 3B?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
players dont want to come here.
I dont remember a good offseason in a long time.

I don't get the same impression. This isn't the NHL where players may want to avoid us because of all the fan and media scrutiny or the NBA where Americans may not want to play in the frozen north. In MLB it seems to be all about the benjamins. Ie Springer left a perennial contender in a nice city to come here because we offered him a little bit more aav and an extra year.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't get the same impression. This isn't the NHL where players may want to avoid us because of all the fan and media scrutiny or the NBA where Americans may not want to play in the frozen north. In MLB it seems to be all about the benjamins. Ie Springer left a perennial contender in a nice city to come here because we offered him a little bit more aav and an extra year.
Yeah, the "players don't want to come here" thing should have been dead a long time ago.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
I don't get the same impression.
Well, the results are the results.

We have the money, but almost NEVER attract top end talent and we seem not to draft well on top of it.

How many failing players came here, reclaimed their form, and left ?

Guys also seem to want a premium to stay.

Yeah, the "players don't want to come here" thing should have been dead a long time ago.
why dont they come then?

even players that kinda want to stay ... hard ball management and the deal falls through (Robbie Ray).

players don't like the cold weather, dont like astroturf, dont like the dome, dont like the taxes.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Their number 1 pitcher was super dominant though. Their offense is pretty meh and not better than the Jays. But they got a good bullpen and one of the most dominant number 1 starter in baseball. The guy had a whip under 1 in almost 200 innings. I would not try to replicate that personally it's kind of a rare exception it's probably one of the worst offense to ever make the playoffs.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

We have the money, but almost NEVER attract top end talent and we seem not to draft well on top of it.

why dont they come then?
In the last five offseasons, they signed one of the best available free agents three times (Ryu, Springer, Gausman). Bassitt wasn't quite on that level, but he was a good one, too.

Those are the results. How many of the top free agents does a team need to add to be considered somewhere that players want to sign?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

The Jays are 26th.

I wish the "not as simple as plug in a power bat unless they're versatile" would also come with "contact is exceptionally important in the playoffs as long as you can run the bases too".

The main problem with Atkins team is it can't run. He's trying to play small ball with guys who are slower on base than my 84 years old mom. Only way it works is if the pitching is top 5 in baseball.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Their number 1 pitcher was super dominant though. Their offense is pretty meh and not better than the Jays. But they got a good bullpen and one of the most dominant number 1 starter in baseball. The guy had a whip under 1 in almost 200 innings. I would not try to replicate that personally it's kind of a rare exception it's probably one of the worst offense to ever make the playoffs.

But what I mean is we have a good rotation, more than just 1 good starter. That's a pretty good base right there. And we have a Vladdy.

Well, we have a nice city too (summer time especially) and we had an up coming team with Vladdy and Bo.

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011

why dont they come then?

even players that kinda want to stay ... hard ball management and the deal falls through (Robbie Ray).

players don't like the cold weather, dont like astroturf, dont like the dome, dont like the taxes.
You're shittin' me, right? COLD? First off, we play in a dome! 2nd, it's probably warmer here in the spring, summer, and even parts of the winter, than in half a dozen other MLB cities. Milwaukee, Minny, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. Also, I would suggest most players don't even live here in the off season. Now, the tax situation...that's another story. But if you're making 10+ mil a year, and you don't have a money guy figuring out how to shelter that cash, then you're dumber than a post and probably actually believe we all live in igloos and drive polar bears to work, anyway.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I wish the "not as simple as plug in a power bat unless they're versatile" would also come with "contact is exceptionally important in the playoffs as long as you can run the bases too".

The main problem with Atkins team is it can't run. He's trying to play small ball with guys who are slower on base than my 84 years old mom. Only way it works is if the pitching is top 5 in baseball.

I feel like the Jays' starting rotation was one of the few bright spots on the season, even if it was a bit of a dip for Gausman.

The bullpen, on the other hand. :help:

Agreed with your comment regarding speed on the basepaths though.

Reactions: LaP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad