Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v5 | Wed, Aug 7 | vs Bal | 7pm ET/4pm PT | Kremer vs Gausman

Status
Not open for further replies.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
As crazy as it seems, Springer has been dumped on all year. But if you compare his stats with Varshos, they are almost the exact same in every metric, with Springer holding a 20 pt lead in batting avg.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
As crazy as it seems, Springer has been dumped on all year. But if you compare his stats with Varshos, they are almost the exact same in every metric, with Springer holding a 20 pt lead in batting avg.
Varsho's value comes from his defense. He has a WAR of 2.8 while Springer's is 1.0 on Baseball Reference. Fangraphs WAR is closer but Varsho is still leading him.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
All I can say is thank you to the person who came up with the concept of "Jays in 30", it's saving me tons of free time these days. I can't stomach full games of this franchise anymore.
Amen to that.

You can tell these half hour telecast must be good ratings, since they cycle them for hours instead of showing different content.

Reactions: ClarkSittler

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Varsho has a such a nice swing lol perhaps he is too short? He misses so many pitches or is extremely late. Quite the black hole in the batting lineup. I would clearly trade him for someone who can hit.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
This team can’t even play fundamentals properly lmao. Thank god the Olympics are around the corner. Anything to distract from this mess.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Varsho has a such a nice swing lol perhaps he is too short? He misses so many pitches or is extremely late. Quite the black hole in the batting lineup. I would clearly trade him for someone who can hit.
He's too stiff. He gets out on his back foot too early. He should really add a leg kick to his swing. It would make his swing more athletic and fluid than it currently is.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Yeah jeez he totally imploded. How can that happen after that misplay? he obviously looks fine physically, and at the time it was just the first baseruner in a 7-0 game, nerves shouldnt have played any part as he was cruising before.

baseball is a funny game.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Game getting ugly.
This is one where I'll gladly put a whole bunch of this on Schneider. Kikuchi was clearly falling apart after the play at first. So after the grand slam, there are four straight righties coming up and... they get a lefty warming up. Then they leave Kikuchi in to face all the righties anyway even though he has no command anymore.

Just brutal planning.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
And now Cabrera only pitchies 0.1 innings and only 8 pitches and he lifts him for Richards to start the 6th?

Its like he didnt want to burn the bullpen by pulling Kikuchi early, and now he just wasted one pitcher with like no work done.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Well, they survive with the 1 run lead and win 8-7 to avoid an embarrassing sweep especially after blowing a 7 run lead.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
If they have even one high-end reliever right now (say a healthy Garcia or Romano) they're probably heading into the break on a 7-1 stretch.
Ya, the bullpen has been awful. It was a strength last year but injuries and guys falling off have had an impact. I think only the Rockies have had a worse one this year.

Wished they would have played Berroa more before this game. Looked decent at the plate.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Like I stated at the time of the trade on any other team Varsho is a fourth outfielder who slots in for defensive purposes if the team has a lead.

Atkins Shat the bed on that trade.

Reactions: trellaine201

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Like I stated at the time of the trade on any other team Varsho is a fourth outfielder who slots in for defensive purposes if the team has a lead.

Atkins Shat the bed on that trade.
Varsho would be the starting CF on pretty much any team in the league. He's the best defensive OF in baseball and has a 96 wRC+ this year for 2.0 fWAR/3.0 bWAR at the All Star break.

The only difference is that better teams would have him in the 8/9 spot in the lineup instead of needing him to hit in the 5/6 spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad