2024 Training Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Agreed with the top six except that top line is gonna be subject to having the ice tilted against it by a physically stronger group. It's an awesome home ice group though. But it's the top line I keep circling back to.

Yeah I think Olivier is in and the only way we see Brindley is as the early season hedge against Danforth's injury sitch. That slot could just as easily by Gambrell. Or another player that's added throughout camp, which we know D-Wad has said he wants to do.
I mean Monahan and Chinakhov aren't small. Johnson's stick work and reads are going to become important so it will be interesting to see how the team adopts Evason's system

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I mean Monahan and Chinakhov aren't small. Johnson's stick work and reads are going to become important so it will be interesting to see how the team adopts Evason's system
Yeah I just feel like you've got three guys there for whom d-zone play isn't a forte. I'm still up for it because it's a great combo of offensive skillsets. And if they can take strides as you say plus learn Evason's scheme, I really like it.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

Yeah I just feel like you've got three guys there for whom d-zone play isn't a forte. I'm still up for it because it's a great combo of offensive skillsets. And if they can take strides as you say plus learn Evason's scheme, I really like it.
I think KJ has a chance to be a Datsyukian style defender, I mean he was taking PK minutes in camp so I would imagine he's not completely incompetent out there.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't think Chinakhov is bad in d-zone. Also he has good for/back checking. See what Johnson. I think he could be good in defense. We will see.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I maintain that Elvis isn’t as bad as he’s shown the past couple seasons. But even at his absolute best he’s probably ranked somewhere between 18-24 of goalies in the league. Below average. But with a solid defense in front of him, he’s not as bad as he’s shown. And Whether or not locker room issues continue to be a thing is a different question entirely.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I maintain that Elvis isn’t as bad as he’s shown the past couple seasons. But even at his absolute best he’s probably ranked somewhere between 18-24 of goalies in the league. Below average. But with a solid defense in front of him, he’s not as bad as he’s shown. And Whether or not locker room issues continue to be a thing is a different question entirely.

At his absolute best Elvis is better than that. In his first two seasons he had a .920 save percentage.

Among goalies with 50+ starts over those two seasons:

Tuukka Rask .923
Semyon Varlamov .921
Igor Shesterkin .921 (47 games but close enough)
Juuse Saros .921
Andre Vasilevskiy .920
Elvis Merzlikins .920
Connor Hellebuyck .920

If he has a good season, I still take any half decent offer for him

For me it depends how he's fitting in the room. A good season on the ice and a good season in the room and then there's no reason to trade him. That's a lot to ask for though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There is a good NHL defender in Svozil somewhere, he and the team need to figure out how to bring it out of him. Needs some swagger back, in Regina he was great and he knew it. He needs to find a way to catch that high again

He's just a bit weak and slow at the AHL level, again it just seems like he hasn't developed physically enough to make his tools pop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad