2024 Training Camp Roster & Schedule

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
unreal how stacked DRW prospect pool has become

12 locks on forward, 7 on D, 2 goalies.

husso n holl prime candidates to b waived but knowing SY guessing they star with 3 goalies, 8 D n 12 forwards unless a forward really blows the doors off the barn
At least one of Holl, Maatta, and a goalie (probably Husso) are traded at the deadline barring injuries.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
It's just first day of the camp, he could change it
Yeah he absolutely could (and I hope he does cause a 6'7 with his hands still could be special) but I do see his line placement as a sign of what Wings brass is currently thinking.

You don't put a 3rd year AHL guy that you think has a shot at the NHL anytime soon that low in a training camp lineup. He is officially fighting against the odds now, which I didn't feel like in his first two camps. Up to him to show he deserves a better look.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Most definitely Walman was one of the "some".

Perron, Ghost, Fabbri and Sprong are the other notables not back this year. Hard to believe Perron or Fabbri would be lack of commitment guys.

Fabbri is gone due to salary. He’d play on crutches if they let him. Perron also gone due to salary. If we kept them Kane would be gone, or Detroit would have to pay to shed other dead weight contracts.

I liked Fabbri but he’s Sonny Milano making way too much money. And Perron’s lack of speed was really hurting his game. I hope he does well but still want Ottawa to tank.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Fabbri is gone due to salary. He’d play on crutches if they let him. Perron also gone due to salary. If we kept them Kane would be gone, or Detroit would have to pay to shed other dead weight contracts.

I liked Fabbri but he’s Sonny Milano making way too much money. And Perron’s lack of speed was really hurting his game. I hope he does well but still want Ottawa to tank.
Yeah I don't think you could ever doubt a guy like Fabbri giving everything he had with the tears he came back from over and over again. You don't keep doing that it if you aren't extremely driven to play.

Wings management had nothing but good things to say about Ghost and he was out there in crucial moments (the I believe I can fly puck grab keep in on Rays game tying goal being one).

Perron was brought in for his leadership but age and salary cap caught up.

That leaves Walman and Sprong. Walman was obviously dealt for basically nothing and Sprong has a history of coasting. Both guys got benched during the last half of the season. With that said outside of a game or two I never recall Sprong looking terrible. Walman clearly was playing his worst hockey as a Red Wing. Sprong wasn't coming back simply because his position could and should be filled by a young guy.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
One aspect I'm really interested in seeing is how comfortable and consistent is the team starting out the season.

I think it's important to remember that going into last season there was 8 (DeBrincat, Compher, Sprong, Fischer, Kostin, Petry, Gostibehere, Holl) new skaters in the lineup, not including goalies. That means every line and every D-pairing was brand new and I think that played a big role in the inconsistencies last season. Then, Kane was added two months into the season, which was another huge adjustment.

There isn't nearly as much turnover going into this season. The Larkin/Debrincat/Raymond line, Copp/Rassmussen/Fischer line, Seider/Chairot paring. and even Petry/Edvinsson, are carryovers from last season. Compher and Kane seem to be a carryover too. So, hopefully the team is a lot more settled and on the same page to start the year.

Reactions: saska sault

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
One aspect I'm really interested in seeing is how comfortable and consistent is the team starting out the season.

I think it's important to remember that going into last season there was 8 (DeBrincat, Compher, Sprong, Fischer, Kostin, Petry, Gostibehere, Holl) new skaters in the lineup, not including goalies. That means every line and every D-pairing was brand new and I think that played a big role in the inconsistencies last season. Then, Kane was added two months into the season, which was another huge adjustment.

There isn't nearly as much turnover going into this season. The Larkin/Debrincat/Raymond line, Copp/Rassmussen/Fischer line, Seider/Chairot paring. and even Petry/Edvinsson, are carryovers from last season. Compher and Kane seem to be a carryover too. So, hopefully the team is a lot more settled and on the same page to start the year.

Sounds like the team already has some established chemistry and the vets are pushing the pace at training camp already which is a good sign. That's just based off watching the media coverage they had yesterday with Lalonde and some of the players.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002

This plus some decent if not spectacular goaltending out the gate should help a lot for early season consistency. Also guys like Seider and Ray stepping into leadership roles from the beginning of the season, will be big too. Its not just the Larkin express anymore.

GR was another place that saw crazy turnover last year and didn't really settle in until the 2nd half. I'm also expecting a better start from them. (And Kasper for that matter)

Really hoping Danielson can push and snag a spot out of camp. I love the DBC/Larkin/Ray line and really feel that he is our best bet at creating a consistent 2nd line out of the remaining pieces.

I think if we could rock the below (or switch Compher and Tank if Danielson can handle full C duties) I think that gives us really solid offensive potential for 3 lines. A true 1st, followed by a solid 2B & 3A setup and lastly a really solid shutdown line that can occasionally get hot and produce too.

DBC-Larkin-Ray
Compher-Danielson-Kane
Bergeron-Veleno-Tank
Fischer-Copp-Ras

Reactions: sepster

sepster

Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
This plus some decent if not spectacular goaltending out the gate should help a lot for early season consistency. Also guys like Seider and Ray stepping into leadership roles from the beginning of the season, will be big too. Its not just the Larkin express anymore.

GR was another place that saw crazy turnover last year and didn't really settle in until the 2nd half. I'm also expecting a better start from them. (And Kasper for that matter)

Really hoping Danielson can push and snag a spot out of camp. I love the DBC/Larkin/Ray line and really feel that he is our best bet at creating a consistent 2nd line out of the remaining pieces.

I think if we could rock the below (or switch Compher and Tank if Danielson can handle full C duties) I think that gives us really solid offensive potential for 3 lines. A true 1st, followed by a solid 2B & 3A setup and lastly a really solid shutdown line that can occasionally get hot and produce too.

DBC-Larkin-Ray
Compher-Danielson-Kane
Bergeron-Veleno-Tank
Fischer-Copp-Ras

Very true on the goaltending point. The first 4-6 weeks last season saw inconsistent (to be nice) goaltending, at best.

Steve91

Oct 8, 2017
Do you guys think Erik Gustafsson will constantly play on the PP? If so, the 1st or 2nd PP in your opinion?
Hopefully on the 2nd unit. I think Seider can be really good at it and now that's he's here for 7 more years we might as well let him start really developing that part of his game

Reactions: raymond23

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Do you guys think Erik Gustafsson will constantly play on the PP? If so, the 1st or 2nd PP in your opinion?
I think they'll start off with Seider on the 1st unit but if he doesn't up his shot quantity/ quality from last year I think Gus will get the role back pretty quickly. Seider got yanked last year when he stopped shooting.

If Danielson makes the team I think you'll potentially see a more even break between PP 1 and 2 this year because we could run something like the below with a good mix of both talent and handedness.

Tank-Larkin-Ray
Seider-Bergeron

DBC-Danielson-Kane
Compher-Gus

Also wild is that for the first time in years I think we have an excess for RH shots then too (DBC, Danielson, Compher, Seider, Ray).

sepster

Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Set my expectations for Johansson. Will he be as vanilla, boring, and as easy to push around as Gustav Lindstrom? Will he bring something more to the table?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Set my expectations for Johansson. Will he be as vanilla, boring, and as easy to push around as Gustav Lindstrom? Will he bring something more to the table?
Definitely wont be as vanilla and boring.

TBD if he's as easy to push around or actually better at NHL hockey.

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

MUCH more mobile, patient and competent with the puck on his stick

Can't speak too much to the defensive side until I see it in the NHL. I am worried about his strength/size

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I think they'll start off with Seider on the 1st unit but if he doesn't up his shot quantity/ quality from last year I think Gus will get the role back pretty quickly. Seider got yanked last year when he stopped shooting.

If Danielson makes the team I think you'll potentially see a more even break between PP 1 and 2 this year because we could run something like the below with a good mix of both talent and handedness.

Tank-Larkin-Ray
Seider-Bergeron

DBC-Danielson-Kane
Compher-Gus

Also wild is that for the first time in years I think we have an excess for RH shots then too (DBC, Danielson, Compher, Seider, Ray).
No way they don't have Kane and DBC on PP1. Most likely it'll be:

Kane-Larkin-DBC
Raymond-Seider

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I do like a lot of the things being said by players and coaches so far, especially compared to last year where I was left incredibly frustrated

As much as last season hurt, you can tell there’s a real collective motivation because of it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad