WC: 2024 Team USA

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
So f***ing frustrating.
It really is. This game was here for the taking. Lindgren was good. The defense did it's job, but we couldn't score a freaking goal even with all our talent. Blame the players, but Hynes made no adjustments. We are consistently let down internationally by coaching. It's a real gut punch because the talent is there.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It really is. This game was here for the taking. Lindgren was good. The defense did it's job, but we couldn't score a freaking goal even with all our talent. Blame the players, but Hynes made no adjustments. We are consistently let down internationally by coaching. It's a real gut punch because the talent is there.
He never shortened the bench. The 4th line was still getting regular shifts deep deep into the 3rd...blew my mind...

The defense was strong. Sanderson and Hughes did all they could to try and generate shit. The entire d gave up 2 odd man rushes but that was about it...they deserved better. Same for Lindgren.

Was so looking forward to weekend medal round..

Jetcetera

Jan 19, 2015
Manitoba
I expected US to win this year based on the team on paper. Must be pretty disappointing but the world's are a pretty whatever tournament.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Wow the US really doesn’t do well at this tournament, just read when they last won a gold and silver.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
“I thought we left it all out on the ice and I’m proud of our effort” said John Hynes (Warwick, R.I.), head coach of the 2024 U.S. Men’s National Team. “It was a great hockey game and terrific atmosphere. Unfortunately, we came up short, but it wasn’t for a lack of effort.”

Loser mentality
You lose a game by a lucky bounce ultimately. If the US gets that bounce the other way the whole team looks different.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
They both said they were coming. Thompson declined because he got an ouchie in the last game of the season and 2 weeks off prior to playing wasn't going to be good enough.

Larkin as well, accepted then declined. But I am sure neither have been golfing or whatever this entire time. Larkin has come plenty before so I really am not mad about him..but he is the type of player this team desperately needed and missed.
FB_IMG_1683317095406.jpg

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Hard to hide so many small guys who lack any snarl or compete. We had 3 in our top 9 and then you add guys like Jones, Boldy & Werenski who play with no passion. We “work hard” but the lack of intensity is palpable. It’s never that way at WJC because these guys mostly play together at USNDT. Our pros have zero camaraderie and it shows. Czechs played like their pride was on the line

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
My 4 Nations team.
Kyle Connor - Auston Matthews - Matthew Tkachuk
Jake Guentzel - J.T Miller- Clayton Keller
Casey Mittlestadt - Vincent Trocheck - Brock Boeser
Troy Terry
- Tommy Novak - Bryan Rust

Jaccob Slavin - Brett Pesce
Shayne Gostisbehere- John Carlson
Cam Fowler
- Brock Faber
Tony Deangelo

Daccord in net..

f*** it...I don't want the stench of any player from any World Championship team in the last 6 years making this squad.....
You know it’s a physical sport right? That we need to forecheck and PK? That’s an impossibly soft group. Different version of the same team that just let us down

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
M.Tkachuk-Matthews-Miller
Kreider-Eichel-Hughes
B. Tkachuk-Larkin-Boldy
Coleman-Beniers-Tuch
*Coyle / Guentzel

Slavin - McAvoy
Sanderson - Fox
Hughes - Faber
*Carlo

Swayman
Oettinger

You tell the 4th line and Coyle that their job is provide energy. Forget their NHL roles. On this team, you bring 110% effort and embrace your roles. Carlo is there in case the blueline proves to be too small and needs some physicality. The idea here is we support our superstars with hard workers and role players who will buy in

Reactions: vshun

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hard to hide so many small guys who lack any snarl or compete. We had 3 in our top 9 and then you add guys like Jones, Boldy & Werenski who play with no passion. We “work hard” but the lack of intensity is palpable. It’s never that way at WJC because these guys mostly play together at USNDT. Our pros have zero camaraderie and it shows. Czechs played like their pride was on the line
Yeah, a lot of these guys are very skilled but are "passive" by nature. Not a lot of snarl. Even though USA Hockey is an old boys club, you have to think they took notice. At the four nations tournament and the Olympics they may opt for guys that are a little less skilled but that compete and are hard to play against. I don't think they will go for role players per se, we may not see very many smaller, finesse types.

One takeaway for me is our team last year was much closer to gold than this year and really deserved a better fate.

Reactions: AmericanDream

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, a lot of these guys are very skilled but are "passive" by nature. Not a lot of snarl. Even though USA Hockey is an old boys club, you have to think they took notice. At the four nations tournament and the Olympics they may opt for guys that are a little less skilled but that compete and are hard to play against. I don't think they will go for role players per se, we may not see very many smaller, finesse types.

One takeaway for me is our team last year was much closer to gold than this year and really deserved a better fate.
Agreed. Also, we have an abundance of skilled D but very few guys that are big and can play physical. Fox & Q.Hughes are too good to leave home, but you can’t say that about Gaudreau, Terry, Zegras, Caufield, DeBrincat etc. Sweden & Canada aren’t more skilled than us, but their stars are more rugged and that will be a problem if we aren’t prepared for it

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

They weren't pressured to show up like some of the top guys were here. Guerin called these guys out and rightfully so that showing up here matters, but if we are only getting guys to show up so they can check the box and say they came for the bigger spotlight, we aren't going to win shit here.

Last years team had a few solid veteran NHLers in Tuch, Garland, DeSmith and Bonino, sprinkled with some solid young NHLers like Perbix, Eyssimont, Samberg, O'Connor, Kleven and the rest were kids and top AHL scorers...they came because they truly wanted to and played that way out there. That team was so fun to watch because they played with heart, knew they didn't have the skill and tried to win in spite it. Rather cheer those teams on in all honesty...because this group seemed forced to be here outside of a few veterans who came, and most weren't willing to do what was needed to defeat a completely bought in /proud team like Czechia.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad