Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I know Arsenal have gotten a lot quieter in their transfer dealings until they are wrapped up the past few years, but it seems like we're sitting on our hands this window. We should have plenty of money to spend, but we've barely spent anything net this summer and somehow it feels like they won't buy Merino or anyone else unless they sell Nketiah.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I know Arsenal have gotten a lot quieter in their transfer dealings until they are wrapped up the past few years, but it seems like we're sitting on our hands this window. We should have plenty of money to spend, but we've barely spent anything net this summer and somehow it feels like they won't buy Merino or anyone else unless they sell Nketiah.
Don't underestimate familiarity. You guys just need a left back, but so does everyone.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Don't underestimate familiarity. You guys just need a left back, but so does everyone.
I don't think we have any obvious holes to fill, but could definitely use Merino and a winger to round out the squad. I'm really just confused why the Merino deal is taking forever when we should have the money pretty easily.

I'm not really worried about LB with Calafiori, Timber, Zinchenko, and Kiwior (until sold).

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
In all that spending, I don't see a position or profile that has become more expensive for everyone else and I don't see Chelsea hoarding good talent either, so what's the impact on other clubs and how is it damage or worse for the sport? Damage is limited to Chelsea.

The talent probably doesn't have as much of a chance to develop either, depending on the cases. At the end of the day the players sign the contracts and are paid handsomely for them but the talent doesn't get spread around (even less than the little it already did) and get stunted in many cases. That's without getting into the rest.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Probably no one would pay what Chelsea paid for Anselmino.
Even with this one, we can point to Belardi as a an example of a recent similar move. People are acting like Chelsea are changing the norm of the game and how it's going to impact everyone else, and while they are spending a ton, most of the spending is in line with what the market has always been, it's just a crazy amount of quantity.

Did spending what we did on Enzo, Caicedo, Lavia, and Ugochukwu make the CM market insanely expensive or was it already expensive and other clubs were willing to pay similar prices? The only dumb part about all those moves was purchasing that much quantity at the same position. Depending on currency, thats ~275M.

Did we change the GK market by spending what we did on Sanchez, Slonia, Petrovic, Jorgensen, or Penders? Are any of them even worse off than before? The only issue here is spending teh ~75M on quantity instead of 1 top keeper.

It's the same thing with CB with Koulibaly, Fofana, Badiashile, Disasi. Or winger with Sterling, Mudryk, Madueke. It's comical, and Chelsea should be mocked for it, but is it actually damaging for the game or the sport? Hard disagree. Does it even damage the players? Guess it depends for how long it takes some to move on. So far there have been more than enough injuries where no one is healthy and just not playing, so right now, I'd argue no. And like previous seasons at Chelsea, those players get moved on pretty quickly, some to shine like KDB and Salah, and others to just move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blender

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Stuff during Roman era that new owners reported about. Which is kind of funny, people want them punished for what new owners are doing.
Seems kinda like punishing the new owners for stuff they voluntarily reported about the old owners is the opposite message from what the PL wants to send especially given the context in which the ownership change happened.

It's not like Abramovich did a bunch of shady stuff to pump the value and then cashed out by selling it to his business partner so they could avoid punishment.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Seems kinda like punishing the new owners for stuff they voluntarily reported about the old owners is the opposite message from what the PL wants to send especially given the context in which the ownership change happened.

It's not like Abramovich did a bunch of shady stuff to pump the value and then cashed out by selling it to his business partner so they could avoid punishment.
Reminds me of Mizzou cooperating with NCAA and then getting screwed by them when others got a slap on the wrist by not cooperating.

My guess, new owners knew the issues would be discovered at some point and better to come forward, instead of risking not being caught.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
They suck and jobs are on the line. Ornstein said these guys told ownership they needed 4 windows and this is the fourth.

Anyways, the squad depth is looking like:

GK: Jorgensen, Sanchez, Bettinelli
LB: Cucurella, Chilwell (thinking Veiga will get this spot if (im assuming more of a when) Chilwell goes. Can't invert and can't play as 3rd CB)
CB: Colwill, Badiashile, Fofana, Disasi, Tosin (think there's a chance one of the Monaco CBs leave)
RB: James, Gusto
DM: Caicedo, Lavia
CM: Enzo, Dewsbury-Hall
AM: Palmer, Nkunku, Chukwuemeka (could leave?)
LW: Mudryk, Sterling (think one could leave?)
RW: Neto, Madueke (could leave?)
ST: Jackson, Omorodion, Guiu (could/should leave on loan?)

Not listed senior players that will seemingly be sold: Petrovic, Kepa, Chalobah, Casadei, Lukaku, DDF, Broja, Anjorin

Listed squad players that have had rumours around their names: Madueke, Sterling/Mudryk, Chukwuemeka, Monaco CBs, Chilwell, Sanchez

Since I posted this with my predictions of who leaves..

Chilwell benched again in the previous preseason game in favour of Veiga, who was very good.
Disasi mentioned above
Carney linked to Palace & Barca
Sterling linked to Juve. Multiple people saying he’ll be out if Felix comes in.
Madueke linked to Newcastle

The only one not linked is Guiu, and I guess that’s because of all this Omorodion stuff falling through & Osimhen re-entering the picture but it still being unclear.

The other interesting thing to me is that Petrovic isn’t training with the U21s. Wonder if there’s still a door for Sanchez to leave.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
What's this specific investigation about?
It’s been said from the lower tier journos - rob being one of them (except I treat him as basically T1) - that Chelsea self reported all this shit from the Roman era. Part of the strategy has been to get in front of that.

And I guess they’ve finally come to somewhat of a conclusion.

I’m worried long term about the depth at CB if this is true. I can’t remember if they’d be allowed to execute buy backs and what exceptions exist. And if you’re allowed to make free signings

Two years is a long time.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I still don't get what you see in João.
I would not mind Coman on cheap terms

Not sure how anyone can’t see it.

-This is a guy who wants to play for us.
-He took what was at least a 5 million plus wage cut, more likely a near 15 million wage cut to play with us last season on a B team player’s wage.
-A player who if he again takes a pay cut and has no loan fee is a very low risk and potentially high reward option that we’re not tethered to past this season.
-A player who now knows the club.
-A player who had 10 goals and 4 assists in the CL and Primera combined, and that’s in only 22 starts or if you go by minutes only 17 matches worth of minutes. That’s not to mention he didn’t get any meaningful run of consistent starts. That is an excellent return.
-A player who at times was our most creative and who was one of our most creative over the course of the season.
-A player who was Man of the Match multiple times and in important matches.
-A young player who still has his prime years ahead of him and who if he does work out might be available on the cheap and maybe in part exchange.
-A player who is in my keeper setup. ;)

The fact that he’s been called “shit” in this thread is mind-boggling.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Even with this one, we can point to Belardi as a an example of a recent similar move. People are acting like Chelsea are chaning the norm of the game and how it's going to impact everyone else, and while they are spending a ton, most of the spending is in line with what the market has always been, it's just a crazy amount of quantity.

Did spending what we did on Enzo, Caicedo, Lavia, and Ugochukwu make the CM market insanely expensive or was it already expensive and other clubs were willing to pay similar prices? The only dumb part about all those moves was purchasing that much quantity at the same position. Depending on currency, thats ~275M.

Did we change the GK market by spending what we did on Sanchez, Slonia, Petrovic, Jorgensen, or Penders? Are any of them even worse off than before? The only issue here is spending teh ~75M on quantity instead of 1 top keeper.

It's the same thing with CB with Koulibaly, Fofana, Badiashile, Disasi. Or winger with Sterling, Mudryk, Madueke. It's comical, and Chelsea should be mocked for it, but is it actually damaging for the game or the sport? Hard disagree. Does it even damage the players? Guess it depends for how long it takes some to move on. So far there have been more than enough injuries where no one is healthy and just not playing, so right now, I'd argue no. And like previous seasons at Chelsea, those players get moved on pretty quickly, some to shine like KDB and Salah, and others to just move on.
Pretty much this. I think some of the individual fees were a bit inflated but not insane compared with what other clubs were offering. The stupidity is that instead of buying one expensive player they go and buy all of them.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Pretty much this. I think some of the individual fees were a bit inflated but not insane compared with what other clubs were offering. The stupidity is that instead of buying one expensive player they go and buy all of them.
Striker is another funny one. Aubameyang, Fofana, Jackson, Guiu, Washington all added up to be about 70M. Just spend that one 1 higher end player, especially when you are willing to just buy Osimhen on top of was spent. Granted, when we spend big on one player, it typically doesn't work out either.

If Neto continues his injury issues, what we spent on wingers is ****ing hilarious.

Roman era had its issues, but eventually they'd sign a guy like Pedro that would be solid or someone like Willian who maybe would be frustrating at times, but would be a solid player for years and at times very good.

Reactions: Blender

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
- More smoke of Adingra to Arsenal.

- Zubimendi c***b***ck LFC, will reopen the Merino move to Arsenal. RS did not want to lose both, and why the move stalled until Zubi made his mind up.

- Ajax wanted Ramsdale on a season-long loan, but Arsenal rejected it. Edu wants to sell him outright.

- Arsenal wants Joan Garcia as a replacement for the back goalkeeper spot, Ornstein confirmed.

- Arsenal sold Norton-Cuffy to Genoa for 3.5 million pounds.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad