Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Closed Window Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yea even if you could afford to acquire and pay wages on that, players of that talent level aren’t going to want to casually sit on the bench.
And even if I'd grant them the option of having some of those players at another club that they own like Strasbourg, the main club is still going to be very young, which will be very difficult to win with. And then you end up in a situation like we are in now, where you can't really let some of the young players on the pitch to develop because every game is sort of do or die.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I mean everyone is going to want to play. It’s up to the associations/managers/etc to protect these players from themselves. The Pedri thing was so obvious and so avoidable.
It's Paris. His hometown. Vastly different.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's Paris. His hometown. Vastly different.
Yeah it’s lousy. I mean if he has to play in Olympics then i think his club team needs to just commit to not playing him in the first month of the season or something; which isn’t the worst thing in the world necessarily but either way you need to create some kind of an offseason there

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah it’s lousy. I mean if he has to play in Olympics then i think his club team needs to just commit to not playing him in the first month of the season or something; which isn’t the worst thing in the world necessarily but either way you need to create some kind of an offseason there
He'd be the head of the team. If he demands to play such a huge tournament for him, you let him.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He'd be the head of the team. If he demands to play such a huge tournament for him, you let him.
For sure, but if that’s the case I’m not picking him in any club games for a month.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Boehly gets the attention, but this guy is the main issue IMO. This desire doesn't even make sense on any level.

Could make sense if "at every position" means at every level, rather than at literally every position. Having 2 or 3 of the best U23 attackers, 2 or 3 of the best U23 midfielders, and 2 or 3 of the best u23 defenders, could be hugely successful with good experience around them.

If that means 2 or 3 of the best LBs / CBs / RBs / etc., then that's really dumb...even if you're including your academy and getting very loose with your definition of best. Having an elite 16/17 and an elite 22/23 yo at the same position, is tenable...but that's not tenable at every single position, no matter how much money you throw at it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Could make sense if "at every position" means at every level, rather than at literally every position. Having 2 or 3 of the best U23 attackers, 2 or 3 of the best U23 midfielders, and 2 or 3 of the best u23 defenders, could be hugely successful with good experience around them.

If that means 2 or 3 of the best LBs / CBs / RBs / etc., then that's really dumb...unless you're including your academy and getting very loose. Having an elite 16/17 and an elite 22/23 yo at the same position, is tenable...even if that's not tenable at every single position no matter how much money you throw at it.
Yeah, I guess it's vague enough, where maybe you could argue it's attackers/midfielders/defenders, and maybe he's also meaning within the entire ownership group, so some at Chelsea, and some at Strasbourg, and so on.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, I guess it's vague enough, where maybe you could argue it's attackers/midfielders/defenders, and maybe he's also meaning within the entire ownership group, so some at Chelsea, and some at Strasbourg, and so on.

I think it's a reasonable goal if money doesn't matter and it's ATT / MID / DEF. But even counting their loan army, having 2-3 of the best kids at every single position would be ridiculous. We're talking 22-33 of "the best U23 players" that they'd have to pay and find time to develop.

Even if a third were at the academy level, a third on loan, and a third at Chelsea we're still talking about 7-11 elite young talents that Chelsea would be developing & integrating at any one time. And that's just not going to be good for winning or those kids' development.

Reactions: gary69

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Wasn’t even in the squad. It’s giving a lot of credence to the speculation while still at Chelsea that he is a poor trainer.
I don’t think it’s totally his fault. Muniz just went supernova and Fulham, who only play with one striker, can’t drop him. Just aren’t any minutes.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

Oh look at Real missing out on Mbappe :laugh:
Pro players shouldn't be allowed in the Olypics anyway.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I don’t think it’s totally his fault. Muniz just went supernova and Fulham, who only play with one striker, can’t drop him. Just aren’t any minutes.
Wasn't even in the squad today. Not even on the bench. That's a message. There's bad luck, with Muniz being in amazing form, but Broja isn't even making the bench at this point.

Reactions: Blender

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Wasn't even in the squad today. Not even on the bench. That's a message. There's bad luck, with Muniz being in amazing form, but Broja isn't even making the bench at this point.
Yeah that’s not great. I know Muniz keeping everyone out right now but that’s rough. I don’t think that eight figure transfer fee is coming unless Boehly gets one of his Saudi bail outs he is campaigning for

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
According to Marca and Mundo Deportivo, United have set a 40-60 million euro price tag on Mason Greenwood. According to the former, United's asking price of 50 million € was too much for Getafe. According to the latter, United wanted 40-60 million from Barcelona for him and they can't afford that price.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
According to Marca and Mundo Deportivo, United have set a 40-60 million euro price tag on Mason Greenwood. According to the former, United's asking price of 50 million € was too much for Getafe. According to the latter, United wanted 40-60 million from Barcelona for him and they can't afford that price.
Do not want. And he hasn't even been good enough to justify the potential scandal.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Bild are adding LFC to the list of clubs being linked to Malen this summer (40-50M euro fee).

there were rumors before he went there that he was being scouted a bit by LFC.

I imagine they're somewhat interested. But it might be a 'if Salah goes, Jota is hurt, or they decide to move out one of their other forwards' type of a situation.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
there were rumors before he went there that he was being scouted a bit by LFC.

I imagine they're somewhat interested. But it might be a 'if Salah goes, Jota is hurt, or they decide to move out one of their other forwards' type of a situation.
Said this in January, club needs another forward that can put the ball in the net. Not sure Malen is the kind of diabolical finisher that they really need. They need someone who is surgically clinical. LFC win both the City game and the United game if Diogo Jota is healthy instead of Diaz/Gakpo. not saying they can get another Salah/Diogo level finisher but they need someone closer to that than Malen

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They likely do. But I just think the minutes are hard to come by unless they really are ruthless with outs. With a new manager, that's way more likely, but with Klopp, I don't think they would have been.

I just don't know if I buy the clinical finisher thing. The guy who's clinical in the team is Jota. But going out and buying that is statistically not really valued by the club. If you look at who they've bought, Mane, Salah (who has become almost automatic.. but really wasn't the case when bought), Nunez, and Gakpo, they seem to go more towards guys with upside and chances, hoping in the right system and with work, they can develop the finishing. Shit even Jota wasn't really as ruthless as he can be for Wolves (though not getting the chances played a part).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad