GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Kulich Benson Rosen Helenius Savoie Ostlund

The Buffalo Sabres are full of smallish flavorless, good but not great offensively forward.

I mean, clearly they overpaid. They were the slowest team in the league last season.

Adding mcLeod and Malenstyn gives them size and speed in the bottom 6.

They are very strong higher in the line-up.
Their depth failed them.

They adressed it.

No reason for Edmonton not to do it tho.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019

The Buffalo Sabres are full of smallish flavorless, good but not great offensively forward.

I mean, clearly they overpaid. They were the slowest team in the league last season.

Their depth failed them.

They adressed it.

You can never have too much depp

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
All the interest there was in Matt Roy, Habs should get quite good for Savard. At the deadline
Possible they just re-sign him, because they won't have anyone to take his minutes for the following season. Both Mailloux and Reinbacher have 1 or 0 games played in the NHL.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Would Daniel Sprong be a decent stop gap for a year or two? He won't command much money and could pot 20 goals?
I think he would be better than Anderson in the top six playing with Newhook and Dach. He's only 27. Four years at $4 million which is a bit higher than both Newhook and Dach ?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think he would be better than Anderson in the top six playing with Newhook and Dach. He's only 27. Four years at $4 million which is a bit higher than both Newhook and Dach ?
I am think 2 years x 3. This would be his 6th team already and for that reason alone I wouldn't commit for more than 2 seasons.

What concerns me is the 21G season with Seattle and he was a +13, still very young and they let him walk.

Reactions: kyne

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Here is another one then...how about a one year 2.5 million dollar deal with Pacioretty?

I like the idea of signing a show me guy that we can trade at the deadline.... would prefer another Monahan situation though!

Reactions: Tyson

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Patches is no-go, and I doubt he'd return.

I want to keep beating the drum for JVR as a pure PP guy. Caufield has had the most success playing with guys who can really work the bumper spot (Perry, Toffoli) and JVR always likes to hang out beside the net. I don't think he's of the same quality as Perry/TT, but he's in that player mold and I think he'd be cheap and effective. If not JVR, then I hope he find someone (Spong?) to jumpstart the PP and create a role on the team that a rookie or new acquisition can take over the following year or two.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I think Pacioretty still lives in Mtl during the offseason - FWIW, he used to train w MSL under the tutelage of Ben Prentiss in Stamford, CT, they’ve know each other for a long time

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Patches is no-go, and I doubt he'd return.

I want to keep beating the drum for JVR as a pure PP guy. Caufield has had the most success playing with guys who can really work the bumper spot (Perry, Toffoli) and JVR always likes to hang out beside the net. I don't think he's of the same quality as Perry/TT, but he's in that player mold and I think he'd be cheap and effective. If not JVR, then I hope he find someone (Spong?) to jumpstart the PP and create a role on the team that a rookie or new acquisition can take over the following year or two.
Isn't JVR past it? Where would you play him in the lineup at ES?

It's a no from me.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Their depth failed them.

They adressed it.

It’s akin to the Habs needing physicality and giving up Mailloux for Jeannot. It’s just not a good trade, needs or not.

Savoie could have been packaged for an impact forward like Necas. McLeod is a 3rd liner.

electron58

Jun 29, 2024
I wouldn’t touch him. When he doesn’t score, he’s a liability and you don’t want him in your lockeroom
& why wouldn't you want Daniel Sprong in your locker room? What have you heard?

Daniel Sprong, A prolific scoring winger who possesses an elite-level skillset: has dynamic skating ability, is a creative passer, and has incredible puckhandling ability. While he is offensively dominant, he is also defensively responsible. A very hard working player who strives to improve all aspects of his game. Absolutely electric. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014) 2015 draft - 46OA. from the Netherlands. I know it's an old evalutation but for a cheap stop gap for the 3rd line?

Last edited:

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
It’s akin to the Habs needing physicality and giving up Mailloux for Jeannot. It’s just not a good trade, needs or not.

Savoie could have been packaged for an impact forward like Necas. McLeod is a 3rd liner.

I see your point but i respectfully disagree with the example you provided.

Mailloux is in my opinion much more valuable than Savoie. And Jeannot is a lot worse than McLeod.

For Savoie to be packaged for Necas, first, the Canes need to be interested in Savoie which i think is dubious. He is a smallish forward living on his name and his draft rank much more than on what he did since being drafted. Personally, i just don't see the enticement in this player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad