GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The LWOS notes Barrett Hayton was not qualified from UTAH. I thing he would be a good project for habs. Forty point potential but like Dach is an injury risk.
He's an interesting reclamation project, stuff sorta went bad for him but he's not entirely to blame either. A chance of scenery might make all the difference in the world.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
More dumb contracts that handcuff a team longterm
I understand but it can’t be said Hughes *improved* the team by not signing players. He avoided pitfalls, sure, and I agree.

But the roster is not improved not one bit.

Glassman Dach, if healthy, replaces Monahan. Otherwise it’s all about so-called natural growth. I hope to see it. If we shut down the very bad defensive play, I expect a lot more points. I don’t suspect we’ll draft top5 or anything but who know. I don’t think playoffs are in store for us either though.

The roster needs improvement. Hughes has to show he can do that. Not today but some time soon he’ll have to build.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I understand but it can’t be said Hughes *improved* the team by not signing players. He avoided pitfalls, sure, and I agree.

But the roster is not improved not one bit.

Glassman Dach, if healthy, replaces Monahan. Otherwise it’s all about so-called natural growth. I hope to see it. If we shut down the very bad defensive play, I expect a lot more points. I don’t suspect we’ll draft top5 or anything but who know. I don’t think playoffs are in store for us either though.

The roster needs improvement. Hughes has to show he can do that. Not today but some time soon he’ll have to build.
Pretty sure we get another top 6'ish forward this offseason. It might not be until September like when we traded for Monohan but I'd bet money that we add one.

Reactions: 417

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I would have liked for us to get vets that you can pass to the deadline. While we might already have some...you never have too many. Especially since we all know we are picking top 10 again.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't see him as untouchable but I'm not in a rush to move him either. You can't really remove him right now until the young defenseman show they can handle his minutes, deployment and ability to create offense.

It can really harm the development of the team in totality if we lose the only defenseman capable of driving offense from the back-end. That's less pucks up in the offensive zone and less touches for our young players in an offensive capacity.

You are also putting a heavy defensive assignment on more than just Guhle which could hurt development and confidence.

Matheson can and will be traded, but it won't be until he is expendable, and he isn't right now because not enough of our youth has stepped up to comfortably make that move.
I'm sure if Hughes could trade Matheson for the forward equivalent, of what Matheson is...he'd do it.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
From what I've read and heard, and please correct me if i'm wrong, he wants to play for Winnipeg...he was ready to turn pro, LAST YEAR, but the Jets didn't think he was ready and they STILL don't.

So as a result of it, he's asked to be traded.

Regardless, none of this changes my stance...he's just a prospect for now. This idea that he's a guaranteed top 6 player the moment he steps into the NHL is just that, an idea.

You don't know that for sure...so why would I trade a guaranteed commodity for an "idea"?
Winnipeg probably didn’t want to burn a year of ELC and now they wouldn’t garanti him NHL playing time. He is mad that they didn’t sign him last year.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Winnipeg probably didn’t want to burn a year of ELC and now they wouldn’t garanti him NHL playing time. He is mad that they didn’t sign him last year.
Winnipeg was willing to sign him and burn a year of the entry level deal. The issue is they won't guarantee him an NHL roster spot for this year and he doesn't want to play in the AHL.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
We shouldn't look to trade Matheson now.
Besides Guhle and Matheson, we don't have anyone else who can handle top pairing duties right now.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
We shouldn't look to trade Matheson now.
Besides Guhle and Matheson, we don't have anyone else who can handle top pairing duties right now.

Also, I don't see a real market for Matheson right now. One would need to form by Matheson playing well next season and injuries/decline in play from D on other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad