GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
This management hasn't done much for us to doubt about their plan and their capacity to execute, so it's just weird to me to see the complaint about trading a low 2nd round pick for a trade up to secure a prospect they highly value.

And then complaining that we are not active in the FA market, despite not being ready to take the big jump and seeing how expensive the deals were. I would've like to see one of Kane/Perron/Tarasenko sign here, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. Is it really going to make a difference to finish 10pts behind the last wildcard spot or 5pts behind with a UFA signing?

The summer isn't over anyway, and if we end up doing nothing it's fine. We have a lot of chips to play with to be active when the opportunity arises. From picks, to capspace, to young players we have extra of. Let's just position ourselves for the next few years instead of having short term FOMO
The main concern I have is having no "good" option this year for someone to play with Dach (and probably Newhook) on the second line in the short term until one of our other younger players are ready to step up. I just want our guys developing in the right environment and positioned reasonably for success. It's not as much about the standings to me.

Putting a guy like play-killer Anderson or inconsistent Armia on the wing with them might not be the best strategy to position them for success. RHP and Gallagher aren't really good options as a regular linemate either. I don't think Roy, or any of our other rookies, are ready for that sort of responsibility and role, especially considering how Dach missed a whole year.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The main concern I have is having no "good" option this year for someone to play with Dach (and probably Newhook) on the second line in the short term until one of our other younger players are ready to step up. I just want our guys developing in the right environment and positioned reasonably for success. It's not as much about the standings to me.

Putting a guy like play-killer Anderson or inconsistent Armia on the wing with them might not be the best strategy to position them for success. RHP and Gallagher aren't really good options as a regular linemate either. I don't think Roy, or any of our other rookies, are ready for that sort of responsibility and role, especially considering how Dach missed a whole year.

I think Roy will be ready to step up this year. But for sure our questions start already at our second line.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Nobody beat the "trade Jeff Petry" drum harder than me, and the trade that actually happened has paid off for us in the mean time. I think it's safe to account for 2 or 3 good seasons from Matheson, but then the same consideration as for Jeff Petry start to be relevant.

We do need to start thinking about his value. McGroarty is a good target, maybe there are others.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

I agree with this, and it's why I would have signed a Tarasenko/Patrick Kane/Jeff Skinner (even though he wouldn't have come) etc. It's probably what they tried to do to get Marchessault as well.

Right now we just have to see if Kent can wheel and deal anything out of our D surplus. Obviously we have Roy coming up and Demidov coming too but like you mentioned, it does nothing for us this year coming.

It's why I see Laine as the best fit out of options that are out there for trade. Two years and then he's gone if necessary.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think Roy will be ready to step up this year. But for sure our questions start already at our second line.
If healthy, I think Newhook-Dach-Roy should be a fine 2nd line for our current state. Some people aren't high on Roy for whatever reason, but he was driving our 2nd line for a while when he got placed on it even if the points don't show it. The major questions are how will any dman not named Guhle/Savard/Matheson perform at the NHL level given that nobody else could stick, and can the most expensive bottom 6 in the league not shit to bed.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hopefully both Dach and Newhook stay healthy and make huge jumps this season

If healthy, I think Newhook-Dach-Roy should be a fine 2nd line for our current state. Some people aren't high on Roy for whatever reason, but he was driving our 2nd line for a while when he got placed on it even if the points don't show it. The major questions are how will any dman not named Guhle/Savard/Matheson perform at the NHL level given that nobody else could stick, and can the most expensive bottom 6 in the league not shit to bed.
Now that Roy has had a taste of what it takes to be an effective NHLer I expect him to be much better this upcoming season. He already possesses high IQ, if he can get stronger and faster I think he could be a Calder trophy candidate.

Jul 6, 2016
A guy like Perron or Duclair would have helped for the transition. Habs, also, have not bolstered their 4th line either or PK. Maybe one of Condotta, Heineman or Tuch will provide some answers.

Reactions: Tyson

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
We really need Dach to be healthy. He's the biggest doubt for this core going forward, IMO.
This is key. Adding Dach to this lineup is like trading for a 2nd C during the offseason. Now, he need to stay in the lineup so we can find out if he's more efficient at C or W.

i'm still hoping for another top 6 player via trade this summer. Roy did good when he was up, but I dont want to give him the job yet, I want him to earn it, so you need some internal competition. I also want to see Newhook play a more important role as a 3rd C.

Problem is that the asset we have to trade are not what others may be interested in:
our non-1st rounder pick, Meshar, Barron, Harris, Struble don't hold too much value right now, so we need to be patient because getting that extra forward will need a almost perfect scenario to happen.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Nobody beat the "trade Jeff Petry" drum harder than me, and the trade that actually happened has paid off for us in the mean time. I think it's safe to account for 2 or 3 good seasons from Matheson, but then the same consideration as for Jeff Petry start to be relevant.

We do need to start thinking about his value. McGroarty is a good target, maybe there are others.
This.
Trading Gally and Petry in their final year instead of resigning 2 anchors would have yielded solid prospects.
Don't make same mistake with Matheson.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

I'm in complete agreement but there's a large section of the fanbase that doesn't agree and see Matheson as untouchable for some reason.

Matheson's untouchable yet a sizable section of this board thinks we're still finishing bottom 5 next year.. so why is Matheson untouchable again?

Makes no sense. Alas.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm in complete agreement but there's a large section of the fanbase that doesn't agree and see Matheson as untouchable for some reason.

Matheson's untouchable yet a sizable section of this board thinks we're still finishing bottom 5 next year.. so why is Matheson untouchable again?

Makes no sense. Alas.

I don't see him as untouchable but I'm not in a rush to move him either. You can't really remove him right now until the young defenseman show they can handle his minutes, deployment and ability to create offense.

It can really harm the development of the team in totality if we lose the only defenseman capable of driving offense from the back-end. That's less pucks up in the offensive zone and less touches for our young players in an offensive capacity.

You are also putting a heavy defensive assignment on more than just Guhle which could hurt development and confidence.

Matheson can and will be traded, but it won't be until he is expendable, and he isn't right now because not enough of our youth has stepped up to comfortably make that move.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Makes no sense. Alas.
I have never seen anyone claim Matheson as untouchable. However, I do see people saying there's no point in forcing a Matheson trade at this stage given how we have so much uncertainty on the backend for this upcoming season.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Makes no sense. Alas.

Fans are uncomfortable with the idea that players have a shelf life. Talked to some people here who expected 1000+ games out of Price. It's like it forces people to confront their own mortality or something.

Reactions: morhilane

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Hopefully both Dach and Newhook stay healthy and make huge jumps this season

Now that Roy has had a taste of what it takes to be an effective NHLer I expect him to be much better this upcoming season. He already possesses high IQ, if he can get stronger and faster I think he could be a Calder trophy candidate.

Not happening with Celebrini, Michkov, Gauthier, Mateychuk, Nazar, Smith....

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
While Kane or Stamkos could have been interesting in the short term, trades have always been our best option to acquire top-6 talent. Haven’t seen a trade or signing that I feel like we’ve missed out on up front. Every indication to think this is the route Hughes is still pursuing.

The competition in the bottom-6 will be coming from Laval. We committed to a rebuild and development and have many young players prepared to compete for those spots. Kapanen, Beck, Heineman, Farrell, and RHP all deserve an opportunity to show us what they’ve got in various 3rd/4th line roles. We do not need to sign vets for that. We’ve got Pezzetta that can handle the odd fight - we can add more grit when we’re truly competing.

On defence, I’m not entirely sure what the plan is but it looks like we’ll be playing the kids and living with the consequences. Good, that’s what we’re here for and something we criticized MB endlessly for not doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad