GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah, this is what beats me about that argument.

'oh let's go get that big finish next summer when we'll have even more money!!!!!'

Okay but if we're not attractive now how in the world will we be attractive next summer after another bad season?
F**K free agency and big game hunting...great players, in the prime of their careers, don't make it to free agency anymore.

I think people are still stuck in the days where guys still in their prime made it there.

It's a secondary market now.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
As usual I am behind tmies but just read that Canucks signed Willy Desharnais... lol... term and money. They think he can replace Zadorov?

He was the biggest pilon on defense during the Oilers run... worse than Ceci and Nurse.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Obviously Habs would be attractive to a discerning player because after another year of development the core is in place and they are close to competing. A player under 30 should recognize that the Habs will be good for most of their remaining career.

That may be so but once again, that's also the kind of thinking that the Sharks, the Hawks, Utah, etc. will also be saying to themselves and selling. We're not a racer doing laps against the time here. We're competing against the entire league. What they do and what they say matters.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It's a very simple situation. You trade Matheson, move back Guhle to top pair LD, he handles the defensive matchups as he's already doing on his off side, Hutson and or Guhle get the PP, the PK is done by committee. OT is Guhle and Hutson.

We already have a top pair LD playing on the team, and it's not Matheson, he's currently playing out of position. They could've added a guy like Marino but they decided they liked Matheson more than Guhle, because of course, he's Hughes's mam, has been for a decade +.
You are arguing against yourself. If they trade Matheson for prospects they are extending the rebuild and very likely demoralizing Suzuki et al. Move him at the deadling if playoffs are out of the question or in the off season. Of course if they can get someone who is already an NHL player or ready for the NHL - Zegras, McGoarty etc then they can justify it.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
As usual I am behind tmies but just read that Canucks signed Willy Desharnais... lol... term and money. They think he can replace Zadorov?

He was the biggest pilon on defense during the Oilers run... worse than Ceci and Nurse.
They signed their ex-coach to play in their top 6D?!?!?!?

Jokes...i'm guessing you mixed up Willie Desjardins (coach) with Vincent Desharnais (ex Oilers Dman).

• Haha
Reactions: The Real Timo

ginomini

May 25, 2014
You are arguing against yourself. If they trade Matheson for prospects they are extending the rebuild and very likely demoralizing Suzuki et al. Move him at the deadling if playoffs are out of the question or in the off season. Of course if they can get someone who is already an NHL player or ready for the NHL - Zegras, McGoarty etc then they can justify it.
I was going to say the same thing.

One can not like Matheson, but if you want to progress next year (in terms of standing) you absolutely need to keep him. You don't trade Matheson for futures if you want to tell your guys you expect to be better next year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The goal would be to add McGroarty or another similar prospect who can make an impact right now. I'm not arguing against myself. If Matheson is gonna bring back a 3rd then just keep him at this point.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The goal would be to add McGroarty or another similar prospect who can make an impact right now. I'm not arguing against myself. If Matheson is gonna bring back a 3rd then just keep him at this point.
Agree. If you can get a prospect like McGroarty for Matheson then you do it imo. If not then keep him.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I 100% disagree with that statement. Matheson will be 30 next season. He's not part of this rebuild. There's at least 2-3 more years before this team will be ready to win in playoffs and at that point Matheson will be 33 and very close to hitting the mid 30 wall. Petry hit a massive wall at 33 with a 27 points -11 season (68 games) and Matheson is a very similar player. I have no problem with keeping Matheson as a vet precense but trading him doesn't change anything to the rebuild.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I 100% disagree with that statement. Matheson will be 30 next season. He's not part of this rebuild. There's at least 2-3 more years before this team will be ready to win in playoffs and at that point Matheson will be 33 and very close to hitting the mid 30 wall. Petry hit a massive wall at 33 with a 27 points -11 season (68 games) and Matheson is a very similar player. I have no problem with keeping Matheson as a vet precense but trading him doesn't change anything to the rebuild.
Plus say guys like Marino, Pesce, Walker, etc were all acquired for very cheap and could replace Mathesons output in some way, next year is going to be the same. We can't be scared of moving vets, vets are moved every year.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
I would have targeted Askarov or Wallstedt in a Matheson trade. Both teams had holes at LD, but with the signing of Skjei and Buium falling to Minny I think those ships have sailed.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Plus say guys like Marino, Pesce, Walker, etc were all acquired for very cheap and could replace Mathesons output in some way, next year is going to be the same. We can't be scared of moving vets, vets are moved every year.
Sure, but that's many hypotheticals.

Pesce and Walker both signed for potential contenders, and we did not have picks equivalent to what Utah gave for Marino. Personally I do not see any other player that I would have signed to replace Matheson's ice time next year if the stated goal is to improve the team. Let's be realistic here, there simply weren't great options for this team on the market this year.

Way better just keeping Matheson while avoiding a possibly problematic contract.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Absolutely agreed...but they shouldn't give them away either, which is what I've seen with the majority of Matheson proposals around here and on socials.

Reactions: jaffy27

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
We already have solid goalies and goalie prospects
That shouldn't stop us from targeting the two best goalie prospects in the last 5 years, just like Theodore didn't stop us from drafting Price.

And I'd also argue there a fewer and fewer elite #1s in this league and obtaining one is a significant competitive advantage, where 10 years ago it was laughed at to invest 10 million in a #1.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Pesce and Walker both signed for potential contenders, and we did not have picks equivalent to what Utah gave for Marino. Personally I do not see any other player that I would have signed to replace Matheson's ice time next year if the stated goal is to improve the team. Let's be realistic here, there simply weren't great options for this team on the market this year.

Way better just keeping Matheson while avoiding a possibly problematic contract.
Just trade Matheson at the deadline either this year or next.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Marino was a great option and saying the team didn't have a 2nd rounder is just wrong as we used one to move, hmmmm, 6 spots in the draft.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Absolutely agreed...but they shouldn't give them away either, which is what I've seen with the majority of Matheson proposals around here and on socials.
Trading Matheson for a ready to play 21 years old isn't "giving him away". Trading him for a 3rd rounder would be last resort Hutson and Guhle are norris level to start the season type of thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad