GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Marino was a great option and saying the team didn't have a 2nd rounder is just wrong as we used one to move, hmmmm, 6 spots in the draft.
Ok, but they prefered to secure a higher pick, I'm totally fine with that.

Plus Montreal 2nd rounder was 7 picks behind Utah's. Obviously they could have offered more, but it was not a priority.

I am personally way happier with Hage.

Edit: would you really have given Matt Roy 30M + for 6 years?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Trading Matheson for a ready to play 21 years old isn't "giving him away". Trading him for a 3rd rounder would be last resort Hutson and Guhle are norris level to start the season type of thing.
If he's ready to play, then why isn't he playing?

McGroarty is just a prospect for me. I'm not trading away a proven player like Matheson without getting something back that I know for sure, is an NHL player who can contribute right away.

2 years ago? sure...today...the Habs need an actual player whose actually proven he's an NHL player.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If he's ready to play, then why isn't he playing?

McGroarty is just a prospect for me. I'm not trading away a proven player like Matheson without getting something back that I know for sure, is an NHL player who can contribute right away.

2 years ago? sure...today...the Habs need an actual player whose actually proven he's an NHL player.
Because he just finished his 20 years old NCAA season ? I guess we should trade away Demidov for some actual help today, then ?

I'm sorry but this was a stupid take.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Because he just finished his 20 years old NCAA season ? I guess we should trade away Demidov for some actual help today, then ?
But they don't want to sign him to play this year?

He's played 2 years of NCAA hockey, he's a former 1st round pick...he should be turning pro, but the Jets aren't prepared to sign him to a contract despite having an opening?

I'm sorry but this was a stupid take.
There's nothing stupid about it, you just twerk for prospects...I don't lol.

He's a good prospect for me, doesn't mean i'm ready to trade my most valuable trade asset just to acquire him.

I'm not that thirsty.

The "stupid" part, was your Demidov retort.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
But they don't want to sign him to play this year?

He's played 2 years of NCAA hockey, he's a former 1st round pick...he should be turning pro, but the Jets aren't prepared to sign him to a contract despite having an opening?

There's nothing stupid about it, you just twerk for prospects...I don't lol.
No, you're mistaken. It's McGroarty that doesn't want to play in Winnipeg.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No, you're mistaken. It's McGroarty that doesn't want to play in Winnipeg.
From what I've read and heard, and please correct me if i'm wrong, he wants to play for Winnipeg...he was ready to turn pro, LAST YEAR, but the Jets didn't think he was ready and they STILL don't.

So as a result of it, he's asked to be traded.

Regardless, none of this changes my stance...he's just a prospect for now. This idea that he's a guaranteed top 6 player the moment he steps into the NHL is just that, an idea.

You don't know that for sure...so why would I trade a guaranteed commodity for an "idea"?

Reactions: overlords

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
From what I've read and heard, and please correct me if i'm wrong, he wants to play for Winnipeg...he was ready to turn pro, LAST YEAR, but the Jets didn't think he was ready and they STILL don't.

So as a result of it, he's asked to be traded.

Regardless, none of this changes my stance...he's just a prospect for now. This idea that he's a guaranteed top 6 player the moment he steps into the NHL is just that, an idea.

You don't know that for sure...so why would I trade a guaranteed commodity for an "idea"?
Nobody said he was a guaranteed top 6, he's an NHL player. This team has a AHL player as their 6th best forward, we can afford to have McGroarty in the line up.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Nobody said he was a guaranteed top 6, he's an NHL player. This team has a AHL player as their 6th best forward, we can afford to have McGroarty in the line up.
So why the hell would you give up Matheson for him then? lol.

He's a prospect, he should be traded for a similarly valued prospect or perhaps a bit more through a draft pick.

Matheson is the Habs best trade chips amongst the players/prospects they actually want/could trade...you're not moving him for a prospect you're not even sure is a top 6 player.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He was picked before our pick so it's inconsequential and I would much rather Vanacker and Marino to Eiserman.
Yes, I was actually not getting into the other debate. I was just interested in if posters would have liked to have gotten Eiserman instead of Hage, by moving up again one or two spots. He was there for the taking.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes, I was actually not getting into the other debate. I was just interested in if posters would have liked to have gotten Eiserman instead of Hage, by moving up again one or two spots. He was there for the taking.
Not me at least.

Heres how my ranking went: Almost no diffenrence betweem 15 to 23 IMO, slight drop after.

1720108701817.png

Reactions: WinterLion

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
This management hasn't done much for us to doubt about their plan and their capacity to execute, so it's just weird to me to see the complaint about trading a low 2nd round pick for a trade up to secure a prospect they highly value.

And then complaining that we are not active in the FA market, despite not being ready to take the big jump and seeing how expensive the deals were. I would've like to see one of Kane/Perron/Tarasenko sign here, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. Is it really going to make a difference to finish 10pts behind the last wildcard spot or 5pts behind with a UFA signing?

The summer isn't over anyway, and if we end up doing nothing it's fine. We have a lot of chips to play with to be active when the opportunity arises. From picks, to capspace, to young players we have extra of. Let's just position ourselves for the next few years instead of having short term FOMO

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This management hasn't done much for us to doubt about their plan and their capacity to execute, so it's just weird to me to see the complaint about trading a low 2nd round pick for a trade up to secure a prospect they highly value.

And then complaining that we are not active in the FA market, despite not being ready to take the big jump and seeing how expensive the deals were. I would've like to see one of Kane/Perron/Tarasenko sign here, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. Is it really going to make a difference to finish 10pts behind the last wildcard spot or 5pts behind with a UFA signing?

The summer isn't over anyway, and if we end up doing nothing it's fine. We have a lot of chips to play with to be active when the opportunity arises. From picks, to capspace, to young players we have extra of. Let's just position ourselves for the next few years instead of having short term FOMO
I would say that not being active in the UFA market is actually the opposite. By not being active we are improving the team.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
F**K free agency and big game hunting...great players, in the prime of their careers, don't make it to free agency anymore.

I think people are still stuck in the days where guys still in their prime made it there.

It's a secondary market now.
It's been a while since a prime player worth a long term contract made it to free agency. Maybe Panarin?

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I would say that not being active in the UFA market is actually the opposite. By not being active we are improving the team.
Okay let's not push it. It was smart not to commit to misfit UFAs but that's not the same as improving the roster.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

So you'd be willing to give up a 60-point D who crunches minute for a prospect who you're not even sure can step into the top-6?

That's ridiculously stupid.

Reactions: 1909

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
F**K free agency and big game hunting...great players, in the prime of their careers, don't make it to free agency anymore.

I think people are still stuck in the days where guys still in their prime made it there.

It's a secondary market now.
If the NHL wasn't so 'old-boys-club' oriented, the offer sheet would be amazing for the game. Trying to poach each other's young stars/attempting to ruin a rival team's cap situation if they match, draft picks flying each and every which way. That will never happen because guys are too scared of being blackballed from the club or not having other teams want to work with them ever again. Who cares?

The fact that Bergevin offersheeted Aho was never a bad thing, it was the fact the has was a little b**** about it and didn't even give it a chance to work. I've never seen a guy hoard as many draft picks and not do anything with them as that guy.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's been a while since a prime player worth a long term contract made it to free agency. Maybe Panarin?
Him…Tavares too.

They both signed in their prime.

Other than that, you're paying a lot of money for players on the back end of their careers.

Teams lock down the best players through their prime years.

If Draisaitl hits free agency, he’ll be the best UFA since the pre-lockout days

If the NHL wasn't so 'old-boys-club' oriented, the offer sheet would be amazing for the game. Trying to poach each other's young stars/attempting to ruin a rival team's cap situation if they match, draft picks flying each and every which way. That will never happen because guys are too scared of being blackballed from the club or not having other teams want to work with them ever again. Who cares?

The fact that Bergevin offersheeted Aho was never a bad thing, it was the fact the has was a little b**** about it and didn't even give it a chance to work. I've never seen a guy hoard as many draft picks and not do anything with them as that guy.
100%

Like why no one has or will offer sheet Necas for example is beyond me.

Reactions: donghabs98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad