GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Agreed in that respect, I am not advocating a useless UFA signing but still holding out hope we can trade for a decent, young forward.

That would be indeed, very nice.

Yes but the core deserves some veteran help, and with the high level of competition in the atlantic (and the eastern conf in general) the habs can help support and develop the talent and still end up with a higher pick. Overtanking isn't a good idea at this point

Agree.

Let's just make sure that if we do something, its indeed giving help to the core.

I am not sure that signing someone like Perron, for example, would have been helpful to the core.

Reactions: Habssince89

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
People want their instant gratification.
I look at it more as
July 1st is 'Christmas' for some people
And people want and love presents

Some people woke up July 1st, saw no presents under the tree
And simply can't handle that I guess?

But the reward for NOT signing deadbeats to useless cash to block some of our kids will pay off in a couple of years people just can't fathom right now I guess

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I am a bit concerned if the Habs go into the season 15 million under the cap...
Nah, some cap strapped team will offer a good deal to use that space and we'll end up with another 1st pick somehow ;) i love how crafty Hugues is...

And I would'd be surprised he picks one or two gambles from the waivers like he did with Kovacevic...

Reactions: dcyhabs and Tyson

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Nah, some cap strapped team will offer a good deal to use that space and we'll end up with another 1st pick somehow ;) i love how crafty Hugues is...

And I would'd be surprised he picks one or two gambles from the waivers like he did with Kovacevic...

Cap dollars aren't worth much when you have 16 teams with more than 7 millions in unused cap. Granted it's July 3rd and most don't have a completed roster yet but this isn't comparable to the flat cap period so far.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
The same Trenin who produced at levels lower than Armia on top of that

I get people want change but most of these posters would be complaining by December about the same player MTL supposedly missed out on
I wouldn't quite go that far as Trenin is good and I doubt he falls off much in the next 2 years at least, but yeah there's definitely risk involved with 4 year deals for 3rd liners in their late 20s. Players like that usually have a very specific set of tools that lets them be effective as third liners and they can very quickly fall off if one aspect slips a bit.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Cap dollars aren't worth much when you have 16 teams with more than 7 millions in unused cap. Granted it's July 3rd and most don't have a completed roster yet but this isn't comparable to the flat cap period so far.
Yeah those golden flat cap times seem to be gone. Now it's back to stupid overpayment to even get someone signed.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Yzerman was way too complacent and all too happy to just lose and make a pick at the end of the season instead of using all resources available to him to improve his team. Now, they lost for years and for the last 2-3 years they realize they need to win some games so they end up throwing money at a bunch of guys who don't tilt the ice in the hope of just making the playoffs.

It's a complete f***-up and specifically what I think we should avoid here. Use everything. Even if you're rebuilding, it shouldn't be strictly about the prospect. Great veterans can still provide awesome value to get you to the next step even if they won't be there for a cup run or the last year or two of their deal is bad (which seems to be easy enough to deal with). They'll still leave a great influence and have helped create a team that at least knows how to win some games instead of just losing year after year which appears to have become extremely difficult at getting out of.
Haven't the Red Wings improved every year in points/standing since Yzerman took the GM role? And last season they were tie with WSH for a wildcard spot.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
To be honest I am not impressed with Yzerman's hodge podge way of building his team. Doesn't seem like there is an actual plan other than throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.
This wasn't the point of my post. Red Wings have not just been losing game for 5 years. They improved every year since Yzerman took the GM role. I was responding to this.

Let's use win percentage since with covid points are irrelevant. Progress have been slow but they have been there. Not saying Yzerman did a perfect job, just that they haven't stagnated for 5 years.

2019-2020: .275
2020-2021: .429
2021-2022: .451
2022-2023: .488
2023-2024: .555 (tied for wilcard spot)

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Yeah but he's been there like 6 years lol. And they were bad for a couple of years before him too. They haven't made the playoffs in almost like 10 years?
Yes their progress is slow but to be frank they have been pretty unlucky with the draft lottery and Yzerman stared with Larkin, Bertuzzi and Mantha as his main assets. 2019-2020 Detroit red wings (first Yzerman season) were just horrible.

Not saying we should follow the blueprint of the Redwings but they went from bottom of the barrell to tied for a wildcard spot in 5 years, there rebuild isn't so bad as people make it look. Now Sens and Buffalo those are some shitty rebuild.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Wouldn't not having to put Price on LTIR be of benefit to our team? Isn't this a good thing? I'm honestly asking because I don't entirely understand how that works,, but surely there has to be a benefit to that no?
We have a few amateur capologists on this board that can explain it...I ain't one of them.🤣

• Haha
Reactions: HabbyGuy

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
We have a few amateur capologists on this board that can explain it...I ain't one of them.🤣

I think that by not putting someone on LTIR helps a team accrue more cap space as the season goes on meaning we'd be able to help teams out at the TDL by taking bigger ticket expiring contracts to our benefit. But I too am not a capologist. :)

Reactions: tazsub3 and Tyson

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
I'm not exactly sure, but don't you have to use the entirety of you cap before you can put someone on LTIR?

These things confuse me Ngl
Nah there were teams that used LTIR just to get to the cap floor.
And you don’t accrue more space either, it’s just that you don’t accrue cap when you use LTIR to spend over the ceiling.
There is no benefit, even if they would not accrue any cap how would it matter when they have that much left?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I'm not exactly sure, but don't you have to use the entirety of your cap before you can put someone on LTIR?

These things confuse me Ngl.
You don't need to be using all the space, but there is no reasons to put someone on LTIR unless you need more...and Habs don't need it right now, they have $10m available.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
I would offer sheet the f*** outta Byfield or Mercer. Or even Braden Schneider. Or Mo Seider although DRW have 20M in cap space.

1years. 9M. The max price for 1st, 2nd, 3rd. (We have those picks in doubles).

The Carolina Hurricanes tricks.

We should absolutely punish the GM who signed Foegele, Edmundson and traded for Jeannot. We should absolutely weaponise our cap space for 1 years and take advantage of these unintelligent person.
Count me in on Byfield. If LA does acquire an extra top 6 winger like Laine or Necas (which they lack to at least hope of being a bubble team), it could bring them at around 3-4 millions of cap space and theyd be forced to bridge Byfield. No way they could match a 9.1m OS.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
I look at it more as
July 1st is 'Christmas' for some people
And people want and love presents

Some people woke up July 1st, saw no presents under the tree
And simply can't handle that I guess?

But the reward for NOT signing deadbeats to useless cash to block some of our kids will pay off in a couple of years people just can't fathom right now I guess

Yes, exactly, which would be delayed gratification. Sacrificing that shiny new toy today for a potentially elite team with cap flexibility in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad