GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
No UFA of any value wants to come to Montreal.
GM needs to rely on trades and drafting players.
I am starting to think that the UFA concept is not smart. It is critical that you draft and develop and also make smart trades.
Someone help me find a UFA signing in the last 20 years that made it to end of the contract and was deemed a huge success....

Just won a cup in Florida - was a leader in STL.

I don't think there would be an issue with his attitude at all.
I think having a respected Russian veteran on the roster would be huge for Demidov.

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014
I posted this offer on the main boards and Winnipeg fans were pretty receptive.

To Winnipeg: Justin Barron, Bogdan Konyushkov, 2025 1st round pick (Calgary), 3rd round pick 2025 (Vancouver)

To Montreal: Rutger McGroarty

Jets get a guy they can play on their bottom pair right away for cheap, a potential top 4 in Konyushkov, a 1st and a late 3rd.

Habs pick up a big talented forward that’s further along in his development and fits in perfectly with the age and play style of the current core group, without giving up a significant prospect.

Potentially in a couple of years:

Demidov - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Caufield - Dach - McGroarty
Roy - Beck - Hage
Tuch - Xhekaj - Anderson

Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - ______
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Fowler
Dobes
Seems like a ridiculous overpayment to me

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
I am starting to think that the UFA concept is not smart. It is critical that you draft and develop and also make smart trades.
Someone help me find a UFA signing in the last 20 years that made it to end of the contract and was deemed a huge success....

I think having a respected Russian veteran on the roster would be huge for Demidov.
Chara was a ufa when he signed with Boston

Reactions: morhilane

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
To me the problem isn't the big contract, it's the bottom 6 forwards that were signed at a very good price. It was a good moment to get a better bottom 6 to take up some pressure and maybe try to compete. Girgensons, Foegele, Greer, Jones, Aubé-Kubel, Heinen, Sherwood, Carrier, Trenin, Lafferty and a few others.

No game changers but clear upgrades and no big contracts. But I guess HuGo is really going for another tank year.
Pezz, RHP, Evans, Dvorak, Armia are all on their last contractual year. Hughes is probably expecting some of the kids in Laval will be higher on the depth chart than them by mid-season/end of the season. If not, he'll sign better bottom 6 players on July 1st 2025.

The only real problems are Anderson, who doesn't fit anywhere, and Gallagher's diminishing physical abilities signed for 3 more years...

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Even w Tarasenko’s preference of staying in Fla, he’s a player that makes too much sense for Habs given Demigod potentially even joining the org as early as this season

So a calculated overpayment on a 2-year deal, might be worth it

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS

To Winnipeg: Justin Barron, Bogdan Konyushkov, 2025 1st round pick (Calgary), 3rd round pick 2025 (Vancouver)

Jets get a guy they can play on their bottom pair right away for cheap, a potential top 4 in Konyushkov, a 1st and a late 3rd.

Habs pick up a big talented forward that’s further along in his development and fits in perfectly with the age and play style of the current core group, without giving up a significant prospect.

Roy - Beck - Hage
Tuch - Xhekaj - Anderson

Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - ______
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Fowler
Dobes
Of course they would be. An unsigned, unproven, prospect that has his club over a barrel doesn't give the club a lot of leverage. NCAA production always needs to be taken with a grain of salt. IMO, it's less likely to translate to the NHL that the CHL.

I'm not giving up that package for McGroarty.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Pezz, RHP, Evans, Dvorak, Armia are all on their last contractual year. Hughes is probably expecting some of the kids in Laval will be higher on the depth chart than them by mid-season/end of the season. If not, he'll sign better bottom 6 players on July 1st 2025.

The only real problems are Anderson, who doesn't fit anywhere, and Gallagher's diminishing physical abilities signed for 3 more years...
We have 10 million in cap space. The contract argument does not work.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005

Gally, at least, had a strong finish (10 pts in his last 9 games) which is a bit encouraging.

Anderson, on the other hand was bad all season long and had a terrible finish with 2 pts in his last 20 games.

If they aren't able to trade Josh this summer I hope they won't be too patient with him. Give him 10 games, if he does not produce waive him and pray someone bites. Maybe some AHL time would have the same positive effect than it did with Armia.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If only Josh Anderson can play like he's able to then we'd be covered! I've never been so frustrated in a player before since Rene Bourque. Anderson has the skill but the effort and drive isn't there.
I'm really hoping they undo everything they tried to put into his head last season.
He is was and always will be a north south player who doesn't have the acumen to instinctively go to areas.
This is one of the most crucial aspects of Marty's concepts approach.
That's why I'm saying we as a team have to tweak some of what we were doing last year.
It's time to find a solid tactician who can temper Marty when necessary.
Some players will just never be able to react like you coach. They need structure.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
If only Josh Anderson can play like he's able to then we'd be covered! I've never been so frustrated in a player before since Rene Bourque. Anderson has the skill but the effort and drive isn't there.
I don't think I would question Anderson's efforts last season. He really was trying, but nothing was working. Except maybe the last 10 games where I think he had given up.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006

Roy - Beck - Hage
Tuch - Xhekaj - Anderson

Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - ______
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Fowler
Dobes
Barron has very little value.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Speaking to my sources, they couldn't just find a common ground. That's what should be added to the previous tweet by someone who quoted Engels.

So, based on that someone might lessen, or up their offer and it could get done.

As someone else brought up, Daniel Sprong, Marinaro brings his name up, too.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Someone noted Hamrlik and I agree, he was good the whole term. I dont know about others but I will say it must be rare. I mean teams sign players and the general idea is that a team wants to try to win now and over the next few years so sure the contract will likely be bad for the remaining 3-4 years after that.

More UFA signings go bad in a year or two than are good. Its pretty brutal and I hope the Habs stay away aside from filling a needed small niche,. I think Nashville did great getting Stamkos on only a 4 year deal, but that is an exception. For us, I have suggested Sprong on a 1-2 year deal. And I guess Marinaro agrees ha ah

Reactions: Guillermo and Tyson

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Only successful one for Montreal was Hamrlik. Lots of duds since
Mike Cammalleri was very good, but the admin was too thin skinned about his expectations to win NOW.

Radulov was a great signing but Bergevin was an idiot not offering enough.

Brian Giona became our captain for years, so that isn’t bad.

Toffoli was also good.

Reactions: Habssince89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad