GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Welp. This was not very... whelming.

Habs will be going into the season with pretty much same team... maybe Roy draws in, maybe not... But this is another bottom of the barrel team with no pushback. Sigh. This rebuild sucks.

it's only 10 hours into free agency on July 1st... the season starts October 9th.

...maybe don't jump off the ledge just yet?

or do, that's totally your perogative... but, its a wee bit premature imo

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I doubt Hughes is done for the summer. No free agents doesn't mean we're walking into training camp with the current lineup. A trade for pinto, McGroarty or another newhook type deal isn't off the table.

If he is done then they likely intend to give a couple guys a spot on the starting roster like Roy or heinemen.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Perfect day today. No old players with huge caphit. Lets keep going the right way. Another bottom 10 finish is exactly what we need.

If last year we would have signed a ufa, we would have missed on Demidov. So lets not miss our next young star. I hope we can find a superstar d or another forward with as much potential as demidov next year.

Then, when Reinbacher/Demidov/Mailloux/Hutson graduate we will start going upward and at this moment we will be able to sign ufa.

Its all about patience.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
What is it about Daniel Sprong? He seems to have decent seasons (statistically at least), yet always seems to find himself looking for cheap contracts every summer?

He's not good enough to be top 6, but isn't a bottom 6 type either. Teams play him bottom 6 because he can finish against other teams bottom 6, but then they usually want to replace him with someone who can pk, or grind, or play physically. He does none of those things.

Reactions: Treal

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I doubt Hughes is done for the summer. No free agents doesn't mean we're walking into training camp with the current lineup. A trade for pinto, McGroarty or another newhook type deal isn't off the table.

If he is done then they likely intend to give a couple guys a spot on the starting roster like Roy or heinemen.
That's how I see it. HuGo have this broad range of responses, in terms of time scales, that they are capable of. If a situation benefits from decisiveness, like trading from 26 to 21 based on late-breaking intel, they can pivot quickly. If a situation needs a patient approach, like juggling 3 or even 4 goalies, while maximizing the trade value of any of them (let alone Allen!), they can wait the better part of a season. I think that the patient approach is beneficial in weaponizing cap space. They can certainly be more patient than most of the participants in this Internet board.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
It is definitely looking good for another top 5 pick. :pcheer:

Seriously can't really think of many teams who gonna suck worse than us next year..
When the Habs traded Sean Monahan on February 2nd (oh that groundhog day!), they were 20-21-8, 10 pts behind the Leafs, 4 behind the Islanders and only 3 behind Washington.

They lost 23 of the final 33 games (10-15-8) to finish 26 pts behind the Leafs, 18 behind the Islanders and 15 behind Washington.

It is fun to watch the kids but I don't know about this type of environment for their development.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gustave

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Really is a great quote.

I still think if Tarasenko is willing to come here on a two year deal, that would be a decent get.

If not, yeah, look for something down the line either when teams are panicking about getting under the cap or if the season is approaching and they don't want to deal with a situation with a younger player.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
At the end of the day, it's the only thing that makes sense with our roster right now and what we are aiming for. I would add Zegras and Pinto
Bingo, there are four (F speaking) targets that makes sense with what this team building is all about.

A vet on a short term deal would’ve worked to help (JAM being the one identified) but a true move to add to the core, only those 4 work.

Reactions: Habs 4 Life

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
At the end of the day, it's the only thing that makes sense with our roster right now and what we are aiming for. I would add Zegras and Pinto

Pinto hasn't asked for a trade. I can't imagine he's available. Necas, I don't know how Carolina is going to afford him when they also have to sign Jarvis & Drury. They could afford it if they traded KK.

$7m Jarvis. $1.5m Drury. That leaves $9.873m to sign Necas. They sign him for $7.5m.

They start the season with +$2.373m in cap space for injury call-ups and to accrue cap space for TD.

I can't believe they're choosing KK over Necas. Just like they chose KK over Trochek.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well the teams that did make big moves have been good to very good teams over the past several years. Eg I don’t think signing Jake Guentzel was a mistake by the Lightning.

Not saying we should have thrown a truckload of money at him but it’s not always a mistake to sign good free agents.
I think lightning fall some from this last season -- even with Guentzel

Reactions: NicRattlehead

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
i heard the draft is really strong next year.
the way the top prospects have performed, it's looking like a generational one.

Hagens breaking IIHF records, Ryabkin breaking MHL records (even better than Michkov and Demidov) then you have Misa and Martone showing up big in the OHL and Frondell being touted as an incredible offensive gifted C comparable to Petterson

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Pinto hasn't asked for a trade. I can't imagine he's available. Necas, I don't know how Carolina is going to afford him when they also have to sign Jarvis & Drury. They could afford it if they traded KK.

$7m Jarvis. $1.5m Drury. That leaves $9.873m to sign Necas. They sign him for $7.5m.

They start the season with +$2.373m in cap space for injury call-ups and to accrue cap space for TD.

I can't believe they're choosing KK over Necas. Just like they chose KK over Trochek.
There isn't much they can do with that KK contract. Now that Guentzel is gone, maybe they can guarantee more ice time especially on the pp for Necas. I don't think they can afford losing him either

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad