GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
When Demidov, Reinbacher, Slaf and others will be on their prime, what will be the situation of other teams? How will be the Bruins, Bolts, Leafs, Wings, Sabres and Sens? This is just our division. How about the Rags, the Panthers, the Canes and the rest? In 2-4 years, will we be part of the top of the NHL teams? Or not?

That's a question. Maybe too soon to answer.
Yeah it's not easy. I'm certainly not arguing we should just tank forever until we magically jump 50 points in the standings, nor am I opposed to making moves to improve today's roster as long as those moves also help us in the future.

I think our window is going to start opening with next offseason where we'll have a better understanding of where Reinbacher and Hutson are, and we'll have Demidov on the way to North America. That will coincide with Armia, Dvorak, and Savard's contracts ending and Gallagher + Anderson being a lot easier to dump or buy out with just two years remaining (we might get lucky and have Gallagher go on LTIR soonish too).

Tampa has probably stretched their window and Florida has a good core in place, but I think the aging curves should help us there as both of those teams are built around late 20s to early-mid 30s cores at this point. If things go right we'll be on the upswing as they're starting to sputter and stagnate like the Capitals/Penguins have been recently. Boston also has a great core but I think they're going to slowly fade relative to us over the next few years unless they land Draisaitl or another big time superstar. Toronto is tough to say until we know how the Marner and Tavares situations end up. Toronto will stay good but to be a contender they kinda need a retool, or they need to do some Florida-style wheeling and dealing next summer IMO.

Ottawa and Detroit are broadly similar to us but I think we have the advantage over both (Ottawa doesn't have our depth on D or a two way guy like Suzuki, and Detroit doesn't have a Demidov). Buffalo probably has the best core of the Atlantic rebuilders but I think they have a serious ownership red flag now and might struggle to attract players. If Buffalo was any generic team I'd be very concerned about how we'd match them, but I just don't know when they're ever going to fix the defence and goaltending and Tage Thompson might not age as gracefully as other top youngish players.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Had a longer post typed but the stupid refresh thing took it away.

In short: it was a GOOD day. A very good day. Some of the best moves are the ones not made.The NHL will have a ton of annoyed GMs with constipated rosters for the years to come.

Until the four turdsman of the Bergevin era are dealt with (Gallagher, Anderson, Armia, and Dvorak) there was simply no room to adjust or change anything.

I still think Laine is on their mind. Anderson for Laine, something like that.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Panic? How long are we going to f***ing rebuild? The Sharks and Hawks have both added talent to their rosters. Surrounding their franchise players, what are we doing? Going for Hagens again? Suzukis about to be 30 years old and we won't start competing lol.
Suzuki is 25, he should actually start his prime next year.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Had a longer post typed but the stupid refresh thing took it away.

In short: it was a GOOD day. A very good day. Some of the best moves are the ones not made.The NHL will have a ton of annoyed GMs with constipated rosters for the years to come.

Until the four turdsman of the Bergevin era are dealt with (Gallagher, Anderson, Armia, and Dvorak) there was simply no room to adjust or change anything.

I still think Laine is on their mind. Anderson for Laine, something like that.
I would think that Anderson has Columbus on his no trade list as he wanted out when he was traded to Montreal so imo I don't think he would want to go back.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I would think that Anderson has Columbus on his no trade list as he wanted out when he was traded to Montreal so imo I don't think he would want to go back.
I see little cause or evidence to think this. IIRC wanted a big contract from CBJ and wasn’t offered it. Bergevin sure didn’t hesitate though.

He had some of his only good games in CBJ. And he’s struggling big time in MTL. He’d be open to return there imo.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
As I realise the years of cheering for the tank years on this board are nearing their end, I must trigger auto-destruction as I feel my mission is done.

tank.gif

This is my last sacrifice, have a good summer everyone and must my ban signals the start of a new stage in Habs land and the relief of my shitposting.

Adios amigos.

• Haha
Reactions: SwiftyHab

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad