GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I get the frustration not being involved in the shopping going on. What management is doing is the right thing.

This is why the word was always out the Habs fan base wouldn’t accept a rebuild. Some can say they are for it but when the spending or trade deadline comes around they want them shopping and trading like they are contending.

If you go back to day one introduction of Hughes. He laid out his plan and has not deviated. He has said he was going to do everything they could to get the bloated contracts off the books while the developing. They have been stocking up the 1st round picks and prospects and will be there soon. Just a few contracts still need to go. Plus with Hughes setting an internal cap no one making more than Suzuki is exactly what this team needs which will cause this team to be stacked because of the structure and affordability in place.

Typical rebuilds start to see it in year 5. Give them time. I believe they will be not great for this last upcoming season where they have another $12 million coming off the books in combination of vets and Petry and Allen’s retained salary.

Not this season but the next season is where I believe the Habs start to strike which also Demidov will potentially be coming over to take a crack at the team.

Give it a few weeks after today things settle down and back to rebuilding, keep the patience they are going into year 3 of the rebuild and have added great up and coming talent. Have faith it’s going to slowly turn the tides for the Habs.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The Price contract has be LTIR’etired: it’s irrelevant to us now.

Anderson and Gallagher are collateral damage from an incompetent previous management. But as far as team building, what youth is ready to step into those roles for next season? Roy will get his chance, as he did this season. Mesar, Beck and Farrell all still need serious seasoning.

There’s no need to do anything with Anderson or Gallagher for this season. They can likely line up Gallagher for an LTIR’etirement of his own this season if he doesn’t perform and if Anderson sucks again this year I fully expect him to be bought out next summer to open up his roster spot.
The Price contract was not irrelevant it was a pain in the ass that had to be dealt with and still has to be manipulated.
Do you not think we would be much happier if it didn't exist?

What don't you understand about what I'm saying? :dunno:
If Gallagher and Anderson aren't there to begin with Hughes would already have worked on and found better younger replacements.
Making our good players better by having better support players is what team building is about.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
You should be happy the team entered this day with a set of strict criteria on the kind of deals they were willing to hand out and didn't diverge from that out of panic or a urge to please/look active.
Yep, this is how I feel too. Today went a bit bizarro world in my opinion. The only deal I would have been comfortable doing was for Patrick Kane and that’s it.

Hughes isn’t afraid to use other means to get top 6 forwards. If they truly feel it’s a need, they’ll go get it.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
- We are not trading a prospect for another prospect (sideway move)
- Trades were tried, but didn’t work
- Confortable with our top 6
- Growth to be organic

Unless Hughes as become a smokescreen kind of guy, this is the roster we should have in September.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
There is still more than 3 months before the season start in October. Hughes and the rest of the management team can make changes throughout the Summer. They don't have to make all of their moves on July 1st. They can always look for free agent bargain deals for players that missed out on the 1st few days of free agency and can continue to test the trade market to see what is available.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
One injury away from Hagens/Martone. Lovely.

Were aiming for the Sabres rebuild.
The Sabres haven't made the playoffs in 13 years, we haven't made it in 3 years. The Avs made the playoffs one time in a span of 7 years before becoming a consistent playoff team and ultimately a contender. This isn't going to be resolved in 3 years, and signing flawed players like Toffoli/Monahan to outrageous contracts just to get us from being a bottom 5 team to a bottom 12 one isn't solving anything.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
There is still more than 3 months before the season start in October. Hughes and the rest of the management team can make changes throughout the Summer. They don't have to make all of their moves on July 1st. They can always look for free agent bargain deals for players that missed out on the 1st few days of free agency and can continue to test the trade market to see what is available.
don't think so. this the line up for the fall.
all gm's are gone for the summer.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The Price contract was not irrelevant it was a pain in the ass that had to be dealt with and still has to be manipulated.
Do you not think we would be much happier if it didn't exist?

What don't you understand about what I'm saying? :dunno:
If Gallagher and Anderson aren't there to begin with Hughes would already have worked on and found better younger replacements.
Making our good players better by having better support players is what team building is about.

He has absolutely no reason to over pay UFAs or rush any of our prospects to fill the role of Gallagher or Anderson. It’s completely counter productive.

Anyone he could’ve landed today as a “splash” to replace these two, we’d regret it in short order just as we regret the contracts Bergevin handed out to those 2 in the first place.

Reactions: donghabs98

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Looks like the best for a Savard trade at the deadline is Colorado only 5 d signed and the fifth is De Haan.

Colorado has a ton of work to do. Considering they need to make sure they have space for Nichushkin and Landeskog, they're basically at the cap without enough players to ice an NHL legal roster.

Reactions: EveryDay

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Not one reporter had the guts to ask any tough questions. Gutless.

Fans pay 1000's of dollars a year to fill that arena and are now facing another season where half the home games will be totally meaningless.

They are very lucky this isn't Minnesota or Nashville.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Trust me, I love the dopamine hit of looking on Twitter and seeing we signed a new player. It’s great.

But today is going to be a horror show for a lot of teams in about 3 or 4 years. Some of those deals stink really, really bad.

I would have loved Monahan, Toffoli, Marchessault, or Stamkos. But the first two got outrageous deals. Marchessault was a bit long for my taste, and Stamkos is a bit too much money. All good.

The rest I do not care about at all. Chandler Stephenson for 7 years? Joel Edmundson for 4 years in the year 2024? No thanks.

Reactions: donghabs98

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
MTL is the 4th team with the most cap space, I think they are still looking at trades including Laine and Ehlers.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Fans pay 1000's of dollars a year to fill that arena and are now facing another season where half the home games will be totally meaningless.

Something tells me you've listened to basically no other NHL team's press conference(s).

Reactions: ohiohabsfan29

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Not one reporter had the guys to ask any tough questions. Gutless.

that is the very point
Molson knows fans we pay what ever to go to games, no matter what KH or the group does and how long it takes to even make the playoffs.

fans are very faithful. 206-27 we may make the playoffs

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Fans aren’t forced to go to games. Nor are they forced to even watch them on TV. I for one at least find the games entertaining. Certainly more entertaining than the garbage we saw under Bergevin.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Trust me, I love the dopamine hit of looking on Twitter and seeing we signed a new player. It’s great.

But today is going to be a horror show for a lot of teams in about 3 or 4 years. Some of those deals stink really, really bad.

I would have loved Monahan, Toffoli, Marchessault, or Stamkos. But the first two got outrageous deals. Marchessault was a bit long for my taste, and Stamkos is a bit too much money. All good.

The rest I do not care about at all. Chandler Stephenson for 7 years? Joel Edmundson for 4 years in the year 2024? No thanks.
Yeah I like bringing in new players too but like you mentioned, none of the deals are ones I'd be in favor of giving out (not to mention we'd probably have to offer up more money to boot). The only one I see them making would have been Perron but even then he doesn't move the needle in any direction and is also not a complete player either. This free agency class is pretty weak too, there isn't too many great players entering their prime to offer up for (maybe DeBrusk).

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
- We are not trading a prospect for another prospect (sideway move)
- Trades were tried, but didn’t work
- Confortable with our top 6
- Growth to be organic

Unless Hughes as become a smokescreen kind of guy, this is the roster we should have in September.
Plenty of action can happen before camps shut down.
He has absolutely no reason to over pay UFAs or rush any of our prospects to fill the role of Gallagher or Anderson. It’s completely counter productive.

Anyone he could’ve landed today as a “splash” to replace these two, we’d regret it in short order just as we regret the contracts Bergevin handed out to those 2 in the first place.
No worries about the UFA's the reality is I was only interested in bolstering our weak ass bottom.
I was not expecting anything else.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad