Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Talk about fallacy... Just because teams "made moves" doesn't mean they will work or get better. I mean if everyone got rid of the dead wood the NHL would never see any movement up or down. I mean hell, NJ went from 63 pts to 112 pts to 81 pts just in the last 3 years. They should have been at 130 pts last year given the moves they made. Do you think the Penguins got better? Islanders? Flyers? Capitals? I personally don't. They are either aging (in some cases significantly) or played way above their talent level because of a coach (Flyers). I wouldn't be shocked to see any of them drop like a rock this year.

Let's get a coach and a final roster first, that's all I'm saying. I just don't buy into the naysayer crap. I do have expectations of significant jumps from several of the forwards. I do expect a better defensive system (forwards and defenders make the system) with a new coach. I do not expect a bottom 5 team again. I didn't last year and if they held even half of their 3rd period leads the narrative in this group is completely different. We'll just have to agree to disagree on what we see with this team. I don't think the D is a finished product and also think they performed WAY below expectation last year. I expect a big change in approach and system this year. Might be wrong, but I don't see how they don't move up.
I fully expect the Jackets to be better as a team. It won’t be hard to improve upon 66 points even just by regression to the mean. But I don’t buy that they’ll be better than any of the teams that finished ahead of them, because literally the same arguments we can make for the Jackets can be made for most of them, too (except maybe coaching drama, but even Ottawa and New Jersey can also claim that to a lesser degree). Why is Columbus special?

This whole conversation has been bizarre. I’m normally the pollyanna here, arguing with the doomers. Now I’m getting personal attacks and condescending concern because I look around the league and don’t think the Jackets are lapping anyone?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I get that people aren’t going to buy the optimist path after the shit sandwich this team has fed us the last two seasons.

But the franchise has started a new era. Jarmo is gone. JD is essentially gone, or at least stripped of any decision making. The coach is gone, and the new one coming in is going to pick his own staff (yes with some holdovers) and be an experienced hand. That in itself is causes for optimism, even if it’s cautious optimism.

I don’t think this team is a playoff team either but I’m also a believer in the youth group of Fantilli, Marchenko, Chinakhov, KJ, and Sillinger(you can add or subtract whoever you want). Some of these guys took steps forward, some backwards, and some maybe stuck in the middle. And that’s ok. Long term though, I believe in these guys and I think some of them are going to make strides this year. Maybe even major strides.

Maybe I’m a masochist, hopefully optimist, or just blind to reality, but I don’t think this team is a bottom 5 team again. There’s too much scoring talent.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I do not buy this excuse for one second. Not one second.

What do you do with Severson if you sign Roy? Keep them both and trade Jiricek? Keep all 3 and trade Werenski. Spend all your cap money on long immovable D contracts and not be able to sign your young guys in a couple of years.

Why would Roy sign here when we have a ton of right D? If we get rid of Gudbranson is Roy expected to fight to protect our high draft picks?

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I get that people aren’t going to buy the optimist path after the shit sandwich this team has fed us the last two seasons.

But the franchise has started a new era. Jarmo is gone. JD is essentially gone, or at least stripped of any decision making. The coach is gone, and the new one coming in is going to pick his own staff (yes with some holdovers) and be an experienced hand. That in itself is causes for optimism, even if it’s cautious optimism.

I don’t think this team is a playoff team either but I’m also a believer in the youth group of Fantilli, Marchenko, Chinakhov, KJ, and Sillinger(you can add or subtract whoever you want). Some of these guys took steps forward, some backwards, and some maybe stuck in the middle. And that’s ok. Long term though, I believe in these guys and I think some of them are going to make strides this year. Maybe even major strides.

Maybe I’m a masochist, hopefully optimist, or just blind to reality, but I don’t think this team is a bottom 5 team again. There’s too much scoring talent.
Personally I can see the plan. Build down the center and on the back-end. Strip the foundation of the bad pieces that won't work long term here, get vets to come in and work with the kids, probably be bad this year but FO has the Outdoor game to retain season tickets and now you put the kids in a position to see who wants to take the next big step for their career with lots of support around them, use the TDL to trade off Provorov/4th line grinders when they have the highest value. one more good high pick draft year, see what kid exceeds expectations/who might be fodder then start to fill in the holes starting next summer at this time. I see a 75-80 point team here who probably can start unexpectedly punching wildcard team out of their race in April as the kids get more and more seasoned as they go on. As someone said earlier looks like Waddell has a plan but its in steps but right now you are seeing the house not stripped to the studs but this is the refurbishment at its bare bones worst.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What do you do with Severson if you sign Roy? Keep them both and trade Jiricek? Keep all 3 and trade Werenski.
Keep him and play him on the second pairing while Jiricek develops, shuffle pairings around as Jiricek improves, and worry about moving any of those guys if/when it comes up. Heck, one could experiment with Severson on the left if need be.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Keep him and play him on the second pairing while Jiricek develops, shuffle pairings around as Jiricek improves, and worry about moving any of those guys if/when it comes up. Heck, one could experiment with Severson on the left if need be.

Why would Roy sign here? He is willing to fight but he obviously doesn’t want to be an enforcer. What is his role when Gudbranson is gone? Mateychuk won’t be a fighter. Jiricek, unless he doesn’t reach his upside, won’t be fighting much. Elick could fight, but is blocked by Jiricek, Severson, and Roy. You don’t want Zach fighting. Roy can see the writing on the wall. In 2 years when someone takes a run at Lindstrom, it will be on Roy to respond. Take away Severson, and then this team could add a bruiser when Gudbranson’s contract is done.

PS: why aren’t you living over in the Nashville boards. Love the Stamkos signing. It is a year too long, but you can’t help that. You have a pissed off Stamkos. Best captain in the NHL. I also really like the Brady Skjei contract. He is underrated like JT Miller is - he didn’t get good enough, fast enough in NYC so people wrote him off.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I fully expect the Jackets to be better as a team. It won’t be hard to improve upon 66 points even just by regression to the mean. But I don’t buy that they’ll be better than any of the teams that finished ahead of them, because literally the same arguments we can make for the Jackets can be made for most of them, too (except maybe coaching drama, but even Ottawa and New Jersey can also claim that to a lesser degree). Why is Columbus special?

This whole conversation has been bizarre. I’m normally the pollyanna here, arguing with the doomers. Now I’m getting personal attacks and condescending concern because I look around the league and don’t think the Jackets are lapping anyone?
I feel bad for you that you're getting condescension, but only a little, since you asked me a page or so back if I understand how words work. Imagine how I must feel. And then I just let that part of the topic drop.

I'm sorry to be asking questions to see if I should be taking issue with your positions. Some of what you were saying made sense to me, but some didn't. I was trying to reconcile that. I know that is a me problem and not a you problem, but I figured we were here, discussing the Jackets, so I asked.

I was hoping to keep working at it, but I probably won't.

Reactions: Monk

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

How do you think that makes me feel? You think I am a hack and now we agree on something major?

ETA - I am being sarcastic but my emojis no longer work. BTW, did you see who was the second defenseman drafted?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
We are biased against the players, much like Jarmo was. That's why the arrival of someone like Waddell, who can look at the team independently, has no ties to the players, will replace those who don't fit his concept.

Reactions: puckgoalnet

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
How do you think that makes me feel? You think I am a hack and now we agree on something major?

ETA - I am being sarcastic but my emojis no longer work. BTW, did you see who was the second defenseman drafted?
Oh, the pick that was roundly criticized by everyone, chosen by the team in the top ten every pundit agrees is even worse at drafting than Columbus?

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
We brought up Severson and his issues, I think one thing all of us have to remember is the defensive "system" last year was atrocious. Now, Vincent taking over a few days before training camp didn't help, but it really showed Vincent's lack of coaching ability as a head coach, at least at the NHL level. I think we have to wait to see what a player like him does this season where there's hopefully some stability and not only the system but the pairings.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I am just tired of always wait until next season. Essentially everyone agrees with that the rest of East Teams have done and the CBJ essentially stood pat and may be marginally better. Now I will say DW did say this is what they were going to do so he didn’t try to blow sunshine and rainbows to the CBJ fans.

With that being said I don’t see on paper and previous seasons history what teams in the east we are going to pass?

Detroit - nope
Ottawa - nope, added goaltending and defense
Washington - nope, beat us last year and upgraded pieces
Boston - nope, beat us last year and added center depth
Carolina - nope
Tampa - nope, added Jackets killer Jake G
Florida - nope, beat the doors off us
New York Rangers - nope
New York Islanders - nope
New Jersey - nope, revamped defense and goaltending
Pittsburgh- nope and on-going bad joke
Philadelphia - possibly
Montreal - possibly
Toronto - nope, added pieces on defense
Buffalo - nope

Columbus - addition by subtraction on defense, added a few vets, subtract Laine, keep same goaltending, switch coaches.

How is that for reality. Not being a pessimist but a realist. I am going to touch grass and ignore CBJ news until October.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Not trying to be a dick but who were/are the realistic trade and/or free agent options who are taking this team from 66 points to the playoffs this year?

This team's fate is largely reliant on the young guys improving and Johnny regaining some form. Always has been. That hasn't changed.

Any veteran additions were always going to be more supportive types, not anyone who is going to carry the team.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Call me just a globalist cynic but I really don't always get the "everyone is always improving. Always" mentality. All teams go through players regressing (whether sophomore slumps or unexplainable "shit my pants" streaks, the lovely mistress time, or injuries). If we signed Kane it's not 2014 Kane, tt's 2024 Kane. There's a difference.

We have yet to trade Laine and determine our coaching staff before all lands on its feet before the season starts and we're already preaching doom. Being the cynic I am, I feel that most of you are taking my job here. Too much in the air yet before we decide where things might land. Most and myself are not expecting insta-playoffs this offseason but getting pieces in place to prepare those that will be here moving forward are important. JJ interview already has positive vibes there since he seems to embrace that role. Monahan not also screaming "I'm going to be your number 1 center to get you over the hump" but speaking about providing guidance to our youngin's.

Ship is adrift but we are adding folks that are able to admit that and try to adjust rudder and propulsion to aim us back to where we need to be. Not an insta-fix but just as important.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Not trying to be a dick but who were/are the realistic trade and/or free agent options who are taking this team from 66 points to the playoffs this year?

This team's fate is largely reliant on the young guys improving and Johnny regaining some form. Always has been. That hasn't changed.

Any veteran additions were always going to be more supportive types, not anyone who is going to carry the team.
Thats kind of what we need though. A Gavrikov/Savard type would be huge for us. We have good talent at the top but we have a lot of kids who struggle in tough situations. I think better coaching and more experience helps from within but cant have kids leading kids, especially in a shitty system. We need guys who dont get too high or low like junior players.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
When you are bottom 5 in the league there is no silver bullet. Improved production from Johnny, return to health by Fantilli and better coaching / systems would all help. Improved play, growth from young guys, finish bottom 6-10 instead of bottom 4 and that is likely a successful season. Continue to get better while the teams around you (like Pittsburgh and Washington) age out and continue to decline.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I don't think teams progress in linear fashion. A good coaching hire and good leadership starting with the GM could go a long way. The TEAM needs to get better, if anything they've been underachieving as a group past two seasons.

There's no silver bullet fix but that's the single biggest thing they need to change imo. Of course it all goes together, but as an example if the team improves through better roster balance then the improvement can be bigger than the roster upgrades "on paper". That in turn can create better conditions for individual players to get better, through development of young players and vets playing closer to their best.

Similar with coaching, a coach is not a magic bullet either usually, but a good one can make a big difference in getting the most out of the roster.

Those positive things can then start adding up and feeding on each other, just like can happen with negative things. Sometimes it's also things you have no direct control over, like injuries or lack of. Not saying Jackets are where they are because of injuries, but they have certainly played a part in creating a negative spin for the team by exposing weakness and limiting room for error elsewhere.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well my original idea went out the door last night apparently. I didn't see that Dumoulin got traded also at a 4th.

I was watching that too. He turned it around last year. He would have been a good short term vet for us. For a 4th rounder? I wish Wads was on that.

I'm still super optimistic long term for all the young players and the team might end up pretty good (long term) just based on those improvements.

But for a team that needed to fix things defensively, and it was Wads' first priority, it has been disappointing so far. We haven't done anything yet. Like subtraction is not enough. There has to be more coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad