GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Half of our games were decided by one goal, we rarely got pumped by a team. What will help the Habs the most is the development of Demidov/Reinbacher/Mailloux/Hutson and more, not overpaying for mediocre players just to be 3-5 spots higher in the standings.

I expect us to make serious moves next year when all those players will likely be in the NHL.

Finishing 5 spots higher for the core would be a fantastic development. Get real.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
We haven't listened to the same Hughes then. He will make moves this summer.

But 2025 is the big one.
About 2025...how should I put it...

I wouldn't expect premium free agents to come rushing to sign with a perennial loser all of a sudden. That's what some of us are trying to say: the transition between rebuilding and competing is not a switch. You can't just hunt for a bottom 5 pick one year and expect to make the playoffs year after that.

Building a team is a continuum.

Anyways, I'm also certain the management understands that and will be active on the trade market. It just pisses me off that some on this board are ready to rationalize everything and try to paint going into next season with the same roster as some kind of smart move. It's hilarious.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
But that is exactly my point. Once again, I'M NOT EXPECTING US TO BE A CUP CONTENDER WITH AN FA SIGNING.

I want continuous progress, especially after 3 full seasons of bottom finishes. I want this to help our young veterans. I want this to help our prospects.

Barkov and Ekblad watched the Panthers continuously make moves to try and improve in the present. So did Ovechkin.

And don't talk to me about Edmonton - they're a terrible example and we should not want to go through what they went through.

A 4th year of spinning our wheels is a disastrous plan.
I agree with your way of seeing thing for the most part, but besides Kane, which contract made sense today? Most of the signing seems to be anchor type that could tie us when our window start opening. What contract would you have taken on Montreal from today's UFA signing?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
My guess? Vincent Desharnais come to replace Kovacevic as a 6-7 D
f***ing gross.

Outside chance the habs are looking at Tarasenko, Duclair and Skinner.

Engels thinks the Habs will be more in the trade market in the offseason.

Habs believe Hage had top 10 talent.

Habs working on Slaf and Guhle, Habs would like to get Slaf done long-term.

Nothing else.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
Dude, he got 5 years x $5.5m. He's 34 in December. There's no way.

With the insane/stupid contracts that are signed today, we'd be better signing both Slafkovsky and Guhle to long-term deals that will age well. With the rising cap over the next few years, we're better keeping a tight cap discipline.​

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I wouldn't expect premium free agents to come rushing to sign with a perennial loser all of a sudden. That's what some of us are trying to say: the transition between rebuilding and competing is not a switch. You can't just hunt for a bottom 5 pick one year and expect to make the playoffs year after that.

Anyways, I'm also certain the management understands that and will be active on the trade market. It just pisses me off that some on this board are ready to rationalize everything and try to paint going into next season with the same roster as some kind smart move. It's hilarious.

Posters are so brain broken they think NHL players think like tank fetishizers.

An NHL player isn't going to see 'Ah wow, the 14th place Canadiens lost a lot of one-goal games after finishing at the bottom for 3 years, add in Martin St.Louis, the great Reinbacher and surely they're on the cusp!'

No, they're going to see: 'Perpetual losers with constant bright lights.'

And that's going to lead a to a version of pay me or pass.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
A few reminders for everyone experiencing fomo

1) Look through every team that has won multiple cups in the draft era. Champions are built through the draft first and foremost.

2) Most mistakes are made on July 1

3) the Habs not committing money today puts them in a stronger spot in the future when an enticing trade opportunity comes up.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Are you truly this dense? They let you pilot aircraft?

200w.gif

Not sure how low you're flying for that joke to go over your head :laugh:
Still don’t get it….but I do get the meaning of dense, you should be careful with the words that use around here…..getting your pun or joke or meaning has no real bearing on my mental capacities or physical ones or what I do for a living.

Alls good though

Reactions: overlords

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Anyways, I'm also certain the management understands that and will be active on the trade market. It just pisses me off that some on this board are ready to rationalize everything and try to paint going into next season with the same roster as some kind of smart move. It's hilarious.

Who's doing that though?

We just don't want to give bad deals for no reason.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad