GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
But that is exactly my point. Once again, I'M NOT EXPECTING US TO BE A CUP CONTENDER WITH AN FA SIGNING.

I want continuous progress, especially after 3 full seasons of bottom finishes. I want this to help our young veterans. I want this to help our prospects.

Barkov and Ekblad watched the Panthers continuously make moves to try and improve in the present. So did Ovechkin.

And don't talk to me about Edmonton - they're a terrible example and we should not want to go through what they went through.

A 4th year of spinning our wheels is a disastrous plan.

Our game is not in the UFA market but on the trade market.

Always were, we have too many players, too many prospects coming in, too many vets we don't want or need. And the point to finish at the bottom for a couple of years it's too expect improvement from within the organization

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I swear 80% of this board wants us to be active every July 1st just for the sake of that shiny new toy. It’s an annual tradition here.

I completely understand not wanting to ice the exact same club, but have you guys SEEN the contracts being handed out? Surely we can all agree that handing those out would have made zero sense…right?
This team wants to trend up.

They haven't.

"ThEy HaD 2nD mOsT lOsEr PoInTs " or whatever it is..

They've traded picks to speed up the rebuild and not build the pool properly.

They want to be hard to play against, but don't acquire the players to do so. They want to take a step this season and supposedly be close, but not in the playoffs and so far they've done nothing to address that.

This team just wants to be pushed around and have Xhekaj be forced to play protector, get hurt and drive his career into the ground.

Now, that said this is day 1 of the off-season, so there's plenty of time to make some trades, or a signing to get some players, but so far it's not looking good at all.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I still think we're adding a player for our top six on a short term. We probably have to wait for the team's to max out at the cap and we become a "backup" for some player on a 1 year deal with an understanding they'll probably be traded to a contender at deadline.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I would've loved to sign Mantha for the same 1 year contract he got from Calgary.

Debrusk was a good signing too imo, it’s exactly what I was penciling him yesterday too funny enough

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I mean, Nashville made the playoffs last year and just added Stamkos. They also have one of the best goalies in the league.

So yeah, a little better than maybe making the playoffs.

I don't know if it's the market (as this seems to be a pretty active approach by most/all southern markets) but they're constantly ambitious. They never spin their wheels year-after-year.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
So he goes to the Predators? :laugh:

With him in our line-up, I believe we make the playoffs and then anything can happen.
Marchessault has spent his entire career playing in no tax states - he’s not about to start paying heavier taxes on what’s his retirement contract …

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Those ufa players + contracts doesn't make any sense for the habs.

Laine, Zegras, Necas, or McGroarthy should be the target for the habs

Reactions: Rozz

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
About 2025...how should I put it...

I wouldn't expect premium free agents to come rushing to sign with a perennial loser all of a sudden. That's what some of us are trying to say: the transition between rebuilding and competing is not a switch. You can't just hunt for a bottom 5 pick one year and expect to make the playoffs year after that.

Building a team is a continuum.

Anyways, I'm also certain the management understands that and will be active on the trade market. It just pisses me off that some on this board are ready to rationalize everything and try to paint going into next season with the same roster as some kind smart move. It's hilarious.

Sometimes doing nothing is the smart move.

The cap mess KH inherited was the direct result of terrible signings, poorly thought out trades and awful UFA extensions given out. We didn't end up with Hoffman, Anderson, Gally, Dvorak, Armia etc. out of nothing.

Today, like every UFA frenzy day, saw a lot of deals of that nature go down.

6M$ per/4yrs for Toffoli
5yrs 5.5M$ for Monahan
4yrs 3.8M$ for Edmundson

Three players most of us would love to see here. Would you be happier with us having "won" those targets at that price?

Zadorov at 5M$/6yrs... Yuck
Marchessault signed until he's 38... No thanks
Lindholm [email protected]... nope
Matt Roy 6yrs @5.75M .... : 🤣
Trenin [email protected] ... Nope
Mantha... Nope

Stamkos at 8M$/4yrs... Sure, though guessing we made similar pitch and he chose to stay down south.

Perron 2@4M I'd have been down with, many were against that. Not exactly a huge miss.

Serious question. What deal done thus far today do you think we "missed" on?

Out bidding any of the deals we've seen today would've set us back in building a contender, not moved us closer.

Patience is hard, but frankly it should be reassuring that this group gets it and is committed to building the right way, vs chasing the shiny new toy or the short term fit at long term pain the way Bargainbin did, and continues to do lol

If this group adds 1 reliable middle 6 scoring upgrade and does nothing else, we'll be better next year barring catastrophic injuries. That's more than good enough.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
This team wants to trend up.

They haven't.

"ThEy HaD 2nD mOsT lOsEr PoInTs " or whatever it is..

They've traded picks to speed up the rebuild and not build the pool properly.

They want to be hard to play against, but don't acquire the players to do so. They want to take a step this season and supposedly be close, but not in the playoffs and so far they've done nothing to address that.

This team just wants to be pushed around and have Xhekaj be forced to play protector, get hurt and drive his career into the ground.

Now, that said this is day 1 of the off-season, so there's plenty of time to make some trades, or a signing to get some players, but so far it's not looking good at all.

Out of curiosity, which UFA deals that were signed today did you hope the Habs would have made? Now also keep in mind you can probably add an extra 1 or 1.5 mill per due to the Quebec taxes factor.

For me, I’ve always just assumed any relevant additions would come on the trade front. Every year we do this same song and dance on HF Habs (I don’t mean you specifically) where people lose their minds when we don’t sign the UFA’s on July 1st.

Reactions: Miller Time

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
I still think we're adding a player for our top six on a short term. We probably have to wait for the team's to max out at the cap and we become a "backup" for some player on a 1 year deal with an understanding they'll probably be traded to a contender at deadline.

Probably a good spot for many players, but there isn’t much left on the market for top 6 players.

Other than Tarasenko, Skinner and maybe Henrique in a top 9 role, adding a top 6 will probably have to go through a trade.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Man some hab fans in here are going crazy and acting like making any of the deals being handed out today would be better for the habs. Almost all these signings are going to be anchor contracts.
No, for f***'s sake, we're not saying that. Take the time to actually read the points that are being made.

Dach, himself an unproven and developing player, shouldn't be expected to babysit Roy, because he needs help himself. He had Monahan to help him last year, who is he going to have now?

A role player who can actually kill penalties and provide some sandpaper shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, no? Or do we absolutely have to watch RHP and Pezzetta for another year?

Management means identifying weaknesses and trying to address them. Especially since you promised to reward your young core for the progress they made last year. Now, they have trade market for this as well, so I'm not going to criticize them just yet, but can we stop with the cheerleading?

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The lower tier UFA's still remaining on the board calling teams to see if there's any money left over for them. :)

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad