GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
What's with all the panic and surprise about the Habs not making big moves lol?

We all knew this was what was going to happen.
For sure. The Habs are still a year or two away from competing for a playoff spot and that's if all things go well with the youth progressing.

I still hope the team can add a top six player and a good vet on D, though.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Not sure why everyone is surprised or angry at us not signing players. We aren't in a position to make big moves by offering long term contracts. Wait another year, clear money off the books and get another top pick. We aren't a Stamkos or Perron away from the cup.

Reactions: Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Makes sense Kent isn’t doing anything. This division just keeps getting stronger and stronger.
It really isn't tho
They're building their way
We're building our way
And when those teams start having roster and money problems in a couple years

That's when we'll be catching our stride with all our 24 ye old studs and 20+Mill cap space ready to pitch to any potential 'actual' big fish in free agency

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
For sure. The Habs are still a year or two away from competing for a playoff spot and that's if all things go well with the youth progressing.

I still hope the team can add a top six player and a good vet on D, though.
I think that can still happen either through trade or seeing whats left after the initial wave where GMs are throwing money around. Habs should only go for value adds in free agency (short term big AAV types). These multi year deals on players exiting their prime won't help us.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Not sure why everyone is surprised or angry at us not signing players. We aren't in a position to make big moves by offering long term contracts. Wait another year, clear money off the books and get another top pick. We aren't a Stamkos or Perron away from the cup.

The point is to acquire a couple of guys to actually help your young players along. Have the games mean something at least in March. Have Demidov a little something to play for. Give Dach a real solid winger. Nobody's claiming that signing one of those guys makes us contenders. It's specifically designed to help your young players instead of them staring down another season where they're out of the playoffs by December. It's deflating for the team (something they've already acknowledged.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Okay Hughes, I have stuff to do today. Please come out and call a PC and say we're not doing anything...thank you.

Though I do expect a bottom 6 player. And a depth d-man.

Reactions: habsfan891

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
inflation taking hold of the nhl. some of the prices and term, yikes, no thank you. I wouldn't mind Monahan at 3 years looking how the day has unfolded.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Pretty sure this summer gonna be statut quo for Montreal, not that I think it is a bad thing, but I don't see us finishing anything other than bottom 10 again in 2024-2025.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad