Erie Otters 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Ok well we were talking about the context, the timing, and how one poster related it to the schedule release. So asking a kid to wait multiple weeks for that specific reason (regarding no thanksgiving game) sounds extremely odd and if true, then gulp. Yikes. The organization is in much rougher shape than I thought
it could be the kid asking, it could be the organization. you suggested the organization left the kid hanging, that’s what I’m replying too. I highly doubt they wouldn’t have said anything to the kid and he was held in the dark

Reactions: frontsfan67

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Ok well we were talking about the context, the timing, and how one poster related it to the schedule release. So asking a kid to wait multiple weeks for that specific reason (regarding no thanksgiving game) sounds extremely odd and if true, then gulp. Yikes. The organization is in much rougher shape than I thought
And yet another announced signing despite telling fans up until 3 days ago when they will start signing players.

I’ve attached a screenshot from the schedule release day post on Facebook.

I’m happy we are signing players, but it’s a bad look on the organization. Cover up a large change from most people with the schedule to suddenly announcing player signings after months of saying they would wait until training camp. Bad look on their part.

Attachments

• IMG_3328.jpeg
    IMG_3328.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
And yet another announced signing despite telling fans up until 3 days ago when they will start signing players.

I’ve attached a screenshot from the schedule release day post on Facebook.

I’m happy we are signing players, but it’s a bad look on the organization. Cover up a large change from most people with the schedule to suddenly announcing player signings after months of saying they would wait until training camp. Bad look on their part.
What is the big deal with the thanksgiving day change? Is it THAT real?? Real enough that the org knows people are reportedly that upset and so they are annoucning their signings before they supposedly planned (which we are theorizing based on a random social media post by whoever is running the account… ) ??

This seems like conspiracy theory type of conversation and ultimately if true, I don’t think it matters at all. Normal for any company or organization to try to create good PR after bad PR. Don’t think that’s a bad look at all. The bad look imo would be the organization caring about a few fans being upset by such a minor change that could be super temporary or for just 1 game during 1 season. If Erie thinks they needed to respond to this “bad PR” with player signings, it just speaks to their incompetence

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
it could be the kid asking, it could be the organization. you suggested the organization left the kid hanging, that’s what I’m replying too. I highly doubt they wouldn’t have said anything to the kid and he was held in the dark
This is why this site sucks, things are constantly taken out of context or people are focused on the wrong part of a post and not the actual thesis of the argument. Not your fault, especially when you aren’t an Erie fan. But I’ll move on instead of talking in circles…

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
This is why this site sucks, things are constantly taken out of context or people are focused on the wrong part of a post and not the actual thesis of the argument. Not your fault, especially when you aren’t an Erie fan. But I’ll move on instead of talking in circles…
so then don’t take it so seriously

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
For only the 3rd time in their history, the Otters are playing 6 exhibition games this preseason. For the first time in their history, none of them will be played in Erie.

• Wow
Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
For only the 3rd time in their history, the Otters are playing 6 exhibition games this preseason. For the first time in their history, none of them will be played in Erie.
Really really sad for an org that has been playing poorly for so long, finally makes the playoffs, and has a fan base dying to watch them.

Do better Erie Otters brass/management.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Really really sad for an org that has been playing poorly for so long, finally makes the playoffs, and has a fan base dying to watch them.

Do better Erie Otters brass/management.
This organization is tanking.

Sorry to say but the front office all needs to go and the management is poor. Half done jobs as far as I’m concerned.

One my sources told me that Kitchener told Erie they wanted to host the preseason games.

Yet another season perk of the Otters taken away. It would be nice to have that London game here, but we won’t host that one either. It’s likely to be played in London’s farm barn in which they played in last year.

Reactions: NOA

Guy In Burlington

Mar 17, 2022
Do you think there’s any chance a good reason exists for there being no home pre-season games? Or do you think Waters, presumably a successful businessman, is just going out of his way to anger you guys?

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
And there have been 3 team exhibition weekends in Erie the last few years.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
It was a matter of passing the torch. Erie has hosted for many years. Disappointing sure, but we’ll get over it.

One of the main Otters front office members is getting married during preseason so likely they didn’t want to put their name in the hat.

As a business prospective, Erie can’t fill the concessions during the regular season, but Kitchener will. Not that concessions matters, but we can’t staff preseason games very well.

You Otter Be There

Oct 8, 2020
Pottstown, PA

Past and present OHL players off to NHL Development Camps​

Anaheim Ducks Carey Terrance

Boston Bruins Jonathan Morello (2024 drafted 5th round pick 154, drafted 13th round pick 260 (2022)by the Otters)

Chicago Blackhawks Ben Gaudreau, Ty Henry, Martin Misiak

Columbus Blue Jackets Sam Alfano, Nolan Lalonde (Kingston Frontenacs)

Dallas Stars Christian Kyrou (Sarnia Sting)

Detroit Red Wings Dylan Edwards

New Jersey Devils Spencer Sova

Montreal Canadiens Logan Sawyer (2024 drafted 3rd round pick 78, drafted 2nd round pick 41 (2022)by the Otters)

Ottawa Senators Connor Lockhart (Oshawa Generals)

So far

Last edited:

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Noah Erliden (G) selected.

Curious as to how he adjusts and IF he can make an impact this season. He will likely be the projected starter and in line for a ton of starts if Gibbons and/or Burns didn't grow tremendously during the off season.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I really felt this would be their approach for months now, and it seemed the most likely. It’s “easier” to find a potential #1 goalie in the import vs finding one through a trade. A little concerned with this goalie being undersized and an ‘05. Once again Erie takes an older import that they will have for 1 year, maybe 2 max. But with the players they return, it’s a smart move if this kid can play. They desperately need a legit #1 goalie. Not sure he’s it but it’s their best bet to finding one

Last edited:

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I really felt this would be their approach for months now, and it seemed the most likely. It’s “easier” to find a potential #1 goalie in the import vs finding one through a trade. A little concerned with this goalie being undersized and an ‘05. Once again Erie takes an older import that they will have for 1 year, maybe 2 max. But with the players they return, it’s a smart move if this kid can play. They desperately need a legit #1 goalie. Not sure he’s it but it’s their best bet to finding one

At least another piece of the puzzle in the off-season comes to fruition. Watching the highlight reel the Otters staff put together he seems like the type of goalie who COULD win games for us as he did with Sweden at 18 world juniors.

Moving forward, assuming he reports, the next puzzle pieces will be the OA situation where I don't really expect surprises (Trading away Sova, Fimis, or Alfano) to get additional pieces through subtraction.

Do we have the capital to bring in another potential top 6 forward?

We have a strong core and players with a LOT of games under their belts, but do we have enough high end talent as we sit now to improve on last year's first round exit?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
At least another piece of the puzzle in the off-season comes to fruition. Watching the highlight reel the Otters staff put together he seems like the type of goalie who COULD win games for us as he did with Sweden at 18 world juniors.

Moving forward, assuming he reports, the next puzzle pieces will be the OA situation where I don't really expect surprises (Trading away Sova, Fimis, or Alfano) to get additional pieces through subtraction.

Do we have the capital to bring in another potential top 6 forward?

We have a strong core and players with a LOT of games under their belts, but do we have enough high end talent as we sit now to improve on last year's first round exit?
Terrance / Spence will need to take the next step in their development. If those guys can get to ~90pts or more, than I think the higher end talent is there.. especially if Sova/Schaefer are top end offensive defensemen. Last year only 12 players were over 90 points, and only 4 teams had 2 or more with 90+ points. 8 of the 12 players had 60 or less points the prior year. So, it’s definitely possible that both CT/MS take a step forward in their development to give Erie the “high end” forwards. Accounting for the OA situation, they have 4 other forwards who at least are solid top 6 options. The hope would be that at least 1, ideally 2, take another step up in their level of play to give Erie more firepower upfront. I think they have the assets to add a middle 6 forward if they are willing to move a young player at the deadline (Challenger?). But the only way that becomes a worthy discussion is if the rest of the roster is ready to make a run and that will only happen if some of the forwards take a leap in development, they figure out some depth (major holes there imo) and they have a true #1 goalie. If they are sitting top 2/3 in the conference come December, those things were figured out and they will explore options to make a run.

OffIceMan

Oct 27, 2013

While there may not have been 6 games played in 2017 and 2018 (5 each year), there were no games played at EIA during those preseasons.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I really hope the "probably" changes to..."has arrived in Erie" at some point in the near future.

Until he is here, it's always hopes and dreams haha!
I hear ya. Reading between the lines (the quotes in the article and the social media team having a full video edit ready when they selected him), it seems likely this was agreed to prior to the draft. Still need to sign him but positive signs right now. Erie’s been played for a fool many times over but they are desperate to fix the goalie situation or at least add something in the import draft. Which would mean they made sure they got their guy before announcing the pick. Can’t mess this up (even though they are prone to doing that)

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I like this pick a lot (assuming he signs). Goaltending has been a huge issue with this team and I'm not confident in Gibbons or Burns being able to handle a starters workload. Erliden should bring some much needed stabilization to the team which will hopefully free up the skaters to play more aggressive and use their speed. I will be curious to see how they handle Gibbons/Burns though. I still think they both have starter potential. Whether or not they can be developed to that level is another question.

Their defense should be good, and now their goaltending should be in good shape as well. They'll have a really good top 6, with a few borderline elite level talents. The depth could be an issue if some young guys don't step up.

Here's the way I see the lineup right now:

Edwards - Finis (OA) - Alfano (OA)
Spence - Terrance - Molnar
Messier - Challenger - Royston
Toroptsev - Hammond - ????

The 4th line spot + 13th forward I'd expect to be filled by 2023 picks (Jordan Visneskie, Ethen Fines, and Max Campbell look promising based on their stats) or 2024 U18 picks (Oliver Phillips/Jack Clarke). I expect Smith and McDonald to be traded or released.

Sova - Henry
Schaefer - Sauder
Holomego - Daviault
Knight

Erliden
Gibbons/Burns

With some development from young guys and/or a trade for another top 6 forward, they could be a really good team. Interested to see how it plays out.

Last edited:
Reactions: NOA and Mata

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad