GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I don't see HuGo handcuffing himself and not retaining that final retention slot until the deadline.
Unless Armia, or Dvorak play well, they're not going to be worth much.

I'm more thinking he does it with Savard, the only pending ufa worth trading.

Even if he uses it on someone else, the Habs have a bunch of 4ths they can ship to a 3rd party team to retain on the pending free agents.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
One way that could make sense is if Kane wants to see who will be in contention at the TDL so he can choose his destination. That's the scenario where signing in MTL could make sense.
I'll believe it when I see it but it'd great for Dach. Kane does seem to put value on being reunited with some former linemates.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Retaining on Anderson is something that would likely come back to bite us on the ass, basically, don't retain on player who a very likely to be bought out before the end of their deal. Expect the Habs to ride this contract for a bit longer then buy him out "when it's time".
As mentioned before, a buy out would be more harmful. Habs can very well keep him for a while since we don't need the cap space, but don't expect us to improve much as a team with this plug taking a roster spot while making all that money. Ditto for Gallagher.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I don't see HuGo handcuffing himself and not retaining that final retention slot until the deadline.
Unless Armia, or Dvorak play well, they're not going to be worth much.

I'm more thinking he does it with Savard, the only pending ufa worth trading.

Even if he uses it on someone else, the Habs have a bunch of 4ths they can ship to a 3rd party team to retain on the pending free agents.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't really get this Kane rumor but yeah that'd be the only scenario. But even then, why wouldn't he just sign a cheaper contract with a contender right away instead of signing with us and then choosing which contender to play for? Keep in mind that there's no way we'd receive anything decent for him at the deadline either.

Maybe contenders don't have room for him right now ?

Or he wants to see how every team comes together ?

Im very sceptical, but thats the scenario that probably makes the most sense.

Hed be a perfect fit, but like I said, I'm very sceptical.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Is Kane interested in Montreal because if he isn't then it doesn't matter if Montreal is interested
don’t assume he isn’t. Detroit was in a similar position to us last year that we are or could be this year with a few FA signings. We could overpay him for a short period. He would play with Dach. And we could offer to trade him to a contender if we aren’t one by the TDL.

There’s a case to be made for him to sign with us.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We have players no one wants....
Hw many months have I been saying we can just dump them we don't have to buy them out.
The Gallagher and Anderson situation will have to wait one more season before we deal with them.
Anderson should get the Armia treatment so he can try to find his head and his game.
They tried hard to make him into a player he isn't and it ended up being he isn't a player.

Reactions: Tyson

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Tarasenko, Kane, Perron, Marchessault don't interest me at all unless we are doing a video game style one year big money deal.

I don't want any of those older players on the roster in 2-5 years.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I don't really get this Kane rumor but yeah that'd be the only scenario. But even then, why wouldn't he just sign a cheaper contract with a contender right away instead of signing with us and then choosing which contender to play for? Keep in mind that there's no way we'd receive anything decent for him at the deadline either.
Patrick Kane could decide to take the role of missionary and sign short-term contracts (1 year) with bubble teams to get the biggest salary possible, only to be traded to a team in contention for the playoffs at 50% retention at TDL (which would allow these teams to acquire it, something they might not have been able to at full price) which has no impact on Kane salary.

In this case, a team like Montreal is interesting.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
don’t assume he isn’t. Detroit was in a similar position to us last year that we are or could be this year with a few FA signings. We could overpay him for a short period. He would play with Dach. And we could offer to trade him to a contender if we aren’t one by the TDL.

When Kane signed with Detroit last year they were battling for a playoff spot. He was coming off of hip surgery and waited to see who was going to give him the best opportunity. It is possible that he could come here but other than Seravalli I haven't heard one insider mention Montreal connected to Kane.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Patrick Kane could decide to take the role of missionary and sign short-term contracts (1 year) with bubble teams to get the biggest salary possible, only to be traded to a team in contention for the playoffs at 50% retention at TDL (which would allow these teams to acquire it, something they might not have been able to at full price) which has no impact on Kane salary.

In this case, a team like Montreal is interesting.

Well that is it folks :clap:
Yeah makes sense Kane's been watching the Corey Perry story very closely. :laugh:
The dude should get another run at a cup in the near future.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

Detroit was in a playoff spot when he signed there.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
No Seravalli, the next 24 hours won't be that wild. Just a lots of teams signing aging players to stupid contracts and players mostly following the money.
Ufas are not even good. Tomorrow will be boring as f***. I suggest people to do something because if you expect us to make big trades , yall gonna end up disappointed. Our big thing was friday .

Reactions: A Loyal DEMIGOD

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2