GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Why not? HuGo have stated multiple times they don’t expect to draft high again & goal is to push for a playoff spot next season - Stamkos over next 2-3 years helps accelerate organic growth of players including leadership & mentorship.

Oh yeah & actual high end production - seamlessly improves top-6 & instantly w Hutson turns PP into one of the elite in the league

Probability remains low he signs in Mtl, but there are viable reasons why the addition makes sense
I agree with that today , might not have 2 days ago. I think habs needed a game breaker ; now that we got him , they can be more risky in these regards

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
TVA Sports was saying a few weeks ago we would be looking at a short term deal but could entice some Free Agents by overpaying them.

Essentially buying out those extra years a FA would have on a longer term contract by giving more money to compensate. I’m a fan of this strategy. Give so much money that the player can’t refuse. It also give us the option of flipping the asset at the end of the term for some pick/prospects.

I would try to see if Patrick Kane would bite on 1-2 year contract for 8-10m.
2 year deal, loaded on the first year and at $1m the second; you'd reap a huge payday at the deadline of year two

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
So now, with the return of Dach, with Demidov next season, i think it's time we should sign that Sam Reinhart kid. Then, Habs are going to be contender for that fat Cup

Reactions: Andrewcoursol

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I think they will wait before the team is at maturity before going after a big fish

I genuinely don't understand that sort of mentality. If you believe in the player, shouldn't you believe that he'll help your younger players mature and still be excellent when they're ready to compete for the playoffs - which should be soon?

I'll admit, I'll be disappointed if HuGo don't bring in a proven scorer this off-season to help the club. It's been 3 years of top-5 pick finishes. Suzuki is turning 25. Caufield 24. These guys have tasted the finals. It's time to give them something to play for again. Give our high picks something to come play for right away.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Signing Perron/Toffoli means one of Roy/Newhook will be on the 3rd line. Why would we prioritize old, declining, 2nd liners instead of our young middle 6 forwards that are developing? Perron/Toffoli probably don't play here if they are on the 3rd line.
No rush to play Roy on the top 6, playing on the 3rd line can be great for him.

And Dach need some help on the wings plus Perron would help the PP

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I genuinely don't understand that sort of mentality. If you believe in the player, shouldn't you believe that he'll help your younger players mature and still be excellent when they're ready to compete for the playoffs - which should be soon?

I'll admit, I'll be disappointed if HuGo don't bring in a proven scorer this off-season to help the club. It's been 3 years of top-5 pick finishes. Suzuki is turning 25. Caufield 24. These guys have tasted the finals. It's time to give them something to play for again. Give our high picks something to come play for right away.
If Reinhart was 26-27, I would probably behind it but he’s turning 29 and will be in the decline when we will be ready to contend

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I can see us making an offer for one veteran top six player and one veteran bottom six player both on short term deals. One year deals most likely, unless the fit seems really good.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
It hasn't even entered my mind that the Habs would look at the UFA market
That should be everyone reaction. The team is full to the point that priority should be trading players away not acquiring more unless it's AHL vets.

In a year thought, Habs will have cap space and lots of roster spots to sign UFAs.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Should target 2025 for a ''big ufa''
here a list (some of them will probably be signed but still)

Leon Draisailt
Tavares
Marner
Benn
Rantanen
Crosby
Ekblad
Provorov
Boeser
Hall
Ehlers
Hedman
and many more.
Yet most of them are 32+
Hedman will get extended.

Most of those players can go f*** themselves.

That said, the Habs will have a bunch more contracts coming off the books, cap will go up, Gallagher and Anderson will be easier to deal, unless they both really shit the bed. In Anderson's case, again.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
No rush to play Roy on the top 6, playing on the 3rd line can be great for him.

And Dach need some help on the wings plus Perron would help the PP
Our second line looked competent once we put Roy there. Sure it might be a small sample size, but I'd rather give him the ice time than Toffoli/Perron. There's nothing great for Roy if he plays with Dvorak and Anderson on the 3rd line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad