Former Bruins Jake DeBrusk - gone to Nucks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Hey guys, can we get an honest scouting report on what Vancouver is getting?

Most importantly, I’m wondering how physical he plays, I heard he’s inconsistent, what’s the reasoning, thanks

He’s a good kid . Liked in the room. A bit quirky personality.
He is quite inconsistent. Streaky. He will score in bunches and then disappear for awhile.
He has learned to be a decent PK player.
I think the change of scenery will do him good. The catastrophic 2015 draft hung over his head. Totally misplaced as he wasnt at all at fault But some fans are thicker than granite.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I like the number but that 7 year term with Jake scares me.

For a guy who's only 27 I think it's reasonable. His body should hold up. Could get a serious injury of course but can say that of anybody. I think his body of work, while not without its flaws, is pretty well-established. He's a genuine top 6 player, middle 6 at worst. And if it does go south, the cap hit is mild enough that you can wiggle out of it without too much pain. All in all, I think it's good value. As always though, up to the player now to make good on it.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Jake was a frustrating player at times but also provided Bruins fans with some big playoff goals and will be remembered as a mainstay of this most recent era. Best of luck to him.

He was frustrating as hell, but I could never get to the point of "wanting him gone" like many other frustrating players that have been part of this franchise. Firing on all cylinders, he's nothing short of an electrifying player.

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
I'm starting to think Sweeney didn't want to go the 7 years. Because Jake is worth 5.5 mill.

Maybe he'll clarify eventually
I've been in the camp of no longer than 5 years for JDB. The money was right where I would have resigned him but the term doesn't work.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You watch and listen he’s so happy - I don’t think he was ever coming back after seeing this

I feel Sweeney would have liked but the two way street was probably one way out of town for Jake

Place is a fish bowl and he’s a bird

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I've been in the camp of no longer than 5 years for JDB. The money was right where I would have resigned him but the term doesn't work.
That makes no sense. 7 year contract takes him to age 35. It’s perfect. If you believe 5.5m is a fair number (I do), that will only look better as the cap rises in years coming.

Great signing for the Nucks. He’s certainly a streaky player, but he’s usually good for 20+ goals and he kicks it up a notch in the playoffs.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

But how much risk is there really in seven years (with a presumably much higher cap) at 5.5 AAV? Like why would it really be any riskier to sign him at that number for 7 years instead of 5?

I think Jake left because, for whatever the reasons, he wanted a change of scenery. That’s fair enough and I’m not mad at either him or anyone employed by the Bruins for it. I just can’t see the money/term really being the issue if he was willing to sign for that contract.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Jake DeNuck

IMG_0764.gif

Reactions: EverettMike

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
That makes no sense. 7 year contract takes him to age 35. It’s perfect. If you believe 5.5m is a fair number (I do), that will only look better as the cap rises in years coming.

Great signing for the Nucks. He’s certainly a streaky player, but he’s usually good for 20+ goals and he kicks it up a notch in the playoffs.
That's fair, however, his streakiness may result in decreased production as he ages if he gets dropped off the more productive lines (one and two) and the PP. I just don't see him worth the 7 year risk, he's not elite.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad