GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Habs linked to Debrusk makes me happy.
Engels doesn't even know if Montreal is interested he is just speculating on different UFAs in his article

When I was talking about a younger free agent who could help both now and in the future, DeBrusk was front of mind.

I’m not saying the Canadiens will land this player, or that they even want to.

I can’t say whether or not they want to, but I think they should consider it.

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Engels doesn't even know if Montreal is interested he is just speculating on different UFAs in his article

When I was talking about a younger free agent who could help both now and in the future, DeBrusk was front of mind.

I’m not saying the Canadiens will land this player, or that they even want to.

I can’t say whether or not they want to, but I think they should consider it.

Yea I love this guy. He would fit right in and I don't think he'll ask the moon.

Reactions: donghabs98

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
He’s already done half of the teams. We are next in line for Patrick Kane’s original six farewell tour.

Reactions: Justin11

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Whats the purpose to have that many good young dman and refusing to trade one for a young player of the calibre of McG? I mean, what are you waiting for? That would be very stupid to pass on that occasion. We still have a boat load of picks as assets too.

If we are not willing to sacrifice one of them for McG, we won’t be willing to sacrifice any of them for anyone. Stupid.

None have real value outside Guhle, Reinbacher, Hutson and Mailloux

We should not trade one of them for McG either although McG would be very nice.

Reactions: billy piton

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Yea I love this guy. He would fit right in and I don't think he'll ask the moon.

Don’t be surprised if the Flames go hard after Jake DeBrusk in unrestricted free agency. The 26-year-old winger scored 19 goals and 40 points with the Boston Bruins in 2023-24 and recently bought a house in Calgary; according to multiple sources, a four-year deal with a cap hit just north of $6 million could be in the cards if DeBrusk chooses to join the Flames. (On Thursday night’s edition of the 32 Thoughts podcast, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman suggested that after the Mangiapane trade, that “maybe the Jake DeBrusk to Calgary talk is real.”)

Reactions: SwiftyHab

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
One thing that will work in our favour this off-season, specifically in terms of younger free agents, is the Martin St. Louis factor. I remember hearing I think it was either Basu or Engels (or Marinaro maybe?) that word amongst players spreads quickly in this league and Marty already has himself a reputation for being a fantastic players coach and a guy who many players are intrigued by the possibility of playing for.

We have other factors that work against us such as high taxes and an overabundance of mediocre bottom-six forwards..but having a desirable coach and young core can go a long way.

Reactions: donghabs98

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Don’t be surprised if the Flames go hard after Jake DeBrusk in unrestricted free agency. The 26-year-old winger scored 19 goals and 40 points with the Boston Bruins in 2023-24 and recently bought a house in Calgary; according to multiple sources, a four-year deal with a cap hit just north of $6 million could be in the cards if DeBrusk chooses to join the Flames. (On Thursday night’s edition of the 32 Thoughts podcast, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman suggested that after the Mangiapane trade, that “maybe the Jake DeBrusk to Calgary talk is real.”)

5012153d-6018-4088-a267-d2fd4fc7e975_text.gif

Seriously though, 6 is a lot of money. I don't know if I could get higher than that.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Why would they not? You already said it the only thing Anderson is good at is stinking out the joint. Half of the buy out hit would be passed to the Habs anyways. So even if a team was originally willing to take a chance on Anderson doesn't mean they would be willing to be patient with him if things doesn't work out.

Just no reason for the Habs to expose themselves to that risk at the moment.
Because it hurts them more, teams (especially contending ones) will try to do everything before a buy out. Can you provide with some examples where a team gave up assets for a player, and then bought him out the very next year when the player was making something close to 2.75x2?

Like I said, they'd retain him further and flip him if it gets to that point, teams don't want to have dead cap space for no reason. There is no risk from the Habs here. I'm also not following your logic in your doomsday hypothetical scenario.

If the Habs buy out Anderson next year, they get stuck with 1.9/3.4/1.4/1.4 dead cap space for the next 4 years. If they retain 50% and trade him to another team and this other team buys him out next year, Habs will now be stuck with 0.95/1.7/0.7/0.7 dead cap space for the next 4 years instead.

There is zero risk for the Habs, it's only upside. Either they only have to retain 2.75x2, or they have a dead cap hit of 0.95/1.7/0.7/0.7 which is objectively better than buying him out on their own. No Anderson, money saved no matter the situation, and gained assets all for the cost of a retention slot when we have 2 more next year.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Whats the purpose to have that many good young dman and refusing to trade one for a young player of the calibre of McG? I mean, what are you waiting for? That would be very stupid to pass on that occasion. We still have a boat load of picks as assets too.

If we are not willing to sacrifice one of them for McG, we won’t be willing to sacrifice any of them for anyone. Stupid.
Seems like you're working under the assumption Hughes is refusing to deal one of our excess D-man for him, while I think it's much more likely that just like you he'd do it in a second but WPG is not interested in this return, rightly so

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
None have real value outside Guhle, Reinbacher, Hutson and Mailloux

We should not trade one of them for McG either although McG would be very nice.

Mailloux vs McG for me and im not looking back.

If not, Struble, another roster player(since win would want nhl ready player) and one of our first round pick next year. At some point you have to have the balls to try something big.

Im confident engstrom will fill the Mailloux’s void rather quickly.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Mailloux vs McG for me and im not looking back.

If not, Struble, another roster player(since win would want nhl ready player) and one of our first round pick next year. At some point you have to have the balls to try something big.

Im confident engstrom will fill the Mailloux’s void rather quickly.

Mailloux seems like a no for our front office although i think its a fair trade 1 on 1.

I personally think the best way to acquire McG is by overpaying in draft pick.

One of our 1st next year + our two 2nd if need be.

Reactions: Gustave

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Dallas not qualifying Lundkvist (and a few others).

I'm rather surprised, I feel like there is way more teams just deciding it's not worth it this year. Makes you wonder why the Habs are bothering with Barron.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Dallas not qualifying Lundkvist (and a few others).

I'm rather surprised, I feel like there is way more teams just deciding it's not worth it this year. Makes you wonder why the Habs are bothering with Barron.
We should find out shortly as the deadline was 5pm ET today

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad