Low Effort GDT 2024 Stanley Cup - Final

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Ceci is playing very well away from Nurse. Deshairnais is playing well away from Nurse. Kulak is playing very well away from Nurse. This common denominator has been apparent.

But in any case Edmonton was one of the top defensive teams in the league and went on long stretches holding opponents to 2GA/G or less. Even last game, empty net aside they held Florida to 2 goals, effectively Florida's lowest output this playoffs (tied).

Edmonton is winning by D this season, not by its offense alone.

The other way to see it is that Ceci, Deshairnais and Kulak all play better when they're on a sheltered third pair.

If I were the coach, I'd be running Nurse-Kulak on the second pair, and Broberg-Ceci on the third.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Ceci is playing very well away from Nurse. Deshairnais is playing well away from Nurse. Kulak is playing very well away from Nurse. This common denominator has been apparent.

Can you post those stats because I heard Mike Johnson say the exact opposite.
He said it was clear that Ceci was cratering everyone he played with….could have been Frankie Corrado)

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
People hate on Ceci all they want, but the guy hasn't been noticeable at all tonight. Which if you know anything about hockey, if you don't notice a shutdown D that means they are doing their job and not making mistakes.

The other way to see it is that Ceci, Deshairnais and Kulak all play better when they're on a sheltered third pair.

If I were the coach, I'd be running Nurse-Kulak on the second pair, and Broberg-Ceci on the third.

This is one of the many biases that people don't notice when judging pairs. It works both ways. Either a series of defensemen get worse numbers when they play beside the shutdown guy because they are getting more difficult minutes against stronger competition - or people point out how "Erik Brannstrom makes everybody who plays with him better", but it's really that Brannstrom plays sheltered minutes and when Chabot or whoever is paired with him it's usually for o-zone faceoffs against weaker competition.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
People hate on Ceci all they want, but the guy hasn't been noticeable at all tonight. Which if you know anything about hockey, if you don't notice a shutdown D that means they are doing their job and not making mistakes.
Not sure if this is a joke but Ceci is a healthy scratch tonight, lol

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Offence wins the regular season & defence wins in the playoffs. It's looking like Mathew Tkachuk made the right decision at the right time to leave Calgary & sign in Florida.

Reactions: Icelevel

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Offence wins the regular season & defence wins in the playoffs. It's looking like Mathew Tkachuk made the right decision at the right time to leave Calgary & sign in Florida.
Probably not long until Brady follows suit.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Can you post those stats because I heard Mike Johnson say the exact opposite.
He said it was clear that Ceci was cratering everyone he played with….could have been Frankie Corrado)
They are looking for advanced stats (HDSC, etc) to support a narrative and go into things that are anything but scoreboard.

5v5 GA/60 in the playoffs

Nurse/Ceci pairing 4.3. Ceci without Nurse 1.1
Nurse/Dehairnais pairing 5.1. Dehairnais without Nurse 2.3
Nurse/Kulak Pairing 3.5. Kulak without Nurse 1.7

People can have all the fancy stats they want, and I see uses, but ultimately scoreboard is what wins games.

Granted whomever plays with Nurse generally plays tougher minutes, but not significantly tougher. Not to the point that playing with Nurse on average has tripled the GA/60 vs other D partners.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

I would have loved to see them try Nurse/Bouchard (to shelter Nurse from the hard matchups a bit where he is getting crushed) and use his offensive potential a bit more, Use Ceci/Ekholm as the primary defensive pair as they have very good GA numbers, and Kulak with Broberg or Deshairnais as a secondary defensive pairing. But changing up that top pairing this deep in the playoffs when that pairing has worked well is just not advisable.

Anything to get Nurse away from tough assignments basically. His OIGA numbers this playoffs are almost twice the next player on the list. And his offensive output is absolute crap. He is horribly deployed for what he is bringing.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Knob has worked some magic to get everyone to buy in defensively, but the Oilers weren't a top defensive team because of Nurse, Ceci, Kulak and Desharnais.

I hope they try to run it back again with the same D core and give Nurse more minutes, especially when they play ottawa

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I didn't think Edmonton would get past Dallas. They were down 2-1 in that series and came back to win three in a row.

I still think they can make this final close. They have to take the next two games in Edmonton. They lose one of them it's over.

Edmonton reminds me of Ottawa's great teams of the 2000s.... super skilled with a knockoff goaltender.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Drai may have majorly screwed up. Headshotting the Panther's captain, who also happens to be one of their cleanest players, gives all their rats every reason to act like slimeballs. Rodrigues, Tkachuk, Cousins and Bennett will be dishing it out like no tomorrow if Barkov doesn't play

Reactions: aragorn

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
A Barkov injury could really change the dynamics of the series.

The Oilers may actually score a 5 on 5 goal in that case

Drai may have majorly screwed up. Headshotting the Panther's captain, who also happens to be one of their cleanest players, gives all their rats every reason to act like slimeballs. Rodrigues, Tkachuk, Cousins and Bennett will be dishing it out like no tomorrow if Barkov doesn't play

The Panthers are shit heads. They never needed an excuse for it.

Bennett literally punched Marchand out of that series.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad