Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season - Complete without a great title in keeping with the performance

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You know, it chafes my ass nowadays a team like KC with a 86-76 record can make the playoffs while the Jays who had same records way back in 2006 and 2008 but couldn't sniff the post.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
You know, it chafes my ass nowadays a team like KC with a 86-76 record can make the playoffs while the Jays who had same records way back in 2006 and 2008 but couldn't sniff the post.
I have some Penaten cream that'll help with that, the grand-child swears by it.;) But, I hear ya brother. Frustrating being in the division we were in at the time, finished 4th with that record.

• Haha
Reactions: Suntouchable13

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
A win's a win, obviously, but the Royals were a game below .500 when they didn't play the White Sox. They were pretty heavily reliant on beating up on one of the worst teams of all time.

The plus side is that the Royals (and the Tigers, to some extent) should give hope that the Jays can turn things around next year. The Royals looked to be in a MUCH worse situation last year than the Jays are now, coming off a 106 loss season and with an even worse farm system. Unfortunately the AL East makes it harder to turn things around, but a handful of teams did it unexpectedly this year.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Technically the Tigers were lucky to make the playoffs this season.

Tigers were the 7th best team in the AL by pythag record, Mariners were 6th. Real standings were the other way around.
Mariners underperformed their pythag record by 4 wins, the Tigers overperformed theirs by 1 win, and in the real standings the teams only finished 1 game apart.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Look at that Tigers team and tell me baseball isn’t just so random. They basically have nothing, other than Skubal and a good bullpen.

If you put that exact team minus Skubel in the AL East they probably finish 70-92.

But give a crappy team the best pitcher in baseball and a soft schedule with a ton of White Sox games ... and they can get to 86 wins.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
If you put that exact team minus Skubel in the AL East they probably finish 70-92.

But give a crappy team the best pitcher in baseball and a soft schedule with a ton of White Sox games ... and they can get to 86 wins.
Yes, but they also beat Houston and have now taken Cleveland to 5 games, pretty impressive…

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think people are underselling just how cutting down a 162 game season into one series can really tilt the playing field in a team like Detroit's favor

Are they well built? Not really. Their rotation outside of Skubal is hilariously bad, their lineup is almost all sub 100+ OPS outside of Reily Greene and Parker Meadows (who only played 82 games)

What they do have however, is a legitimate stud ace pitcher said Skubal. He's been so good Detroit can essentially just pencil in his starts as wins. When you know you have two of four games won before they even start, that allows you to stretch out your bullpen in the other games. Which in turn also charges what is essentially a feedback loop. Detroit is sending guys out that most teams probably barely have any data on these guys. Like how often do you see the same relievers in the regular season? If you're a division rival like Cleveland then probably more than most. But even then their offense has been shut out twice in that series.

It's a perfect storm of circumstance, dumb luck and some pretty well played tactics by AJ Hinch to make this work. I think they go to the World Series if they beat Cleveland. New York's offense once again has all but disappeared because as it turns out, Aaron Judge and Juan Soto can't go 4-4 every night and drag it to relevance kicking and screaming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad