Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season - Complete without a great title in keeping with the performance

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
How did they score so many runs during the regular season? Their lineup other than Judge and Soto seems underwhelming.
Their lineup outside of Judge and Soto is underwhelming. They have arguably the two best hitters in the league, and nothing else impressive. It strikes me as a high-risk/high-reward way of constructing a lineup because all it takes is a short slump for one or both of their stars and they have little else to keep them afloat.

They had two guys in the lineup last night who were at least as bad as Biggio this year.

Having said that... the Royals lineup isn't exactly scary. I see they're going full Alcides Escobar with Mikael Garcia in the leadoff spot still.

Last edited:

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Luis Tiant, charismatic Cuban who pitched Red Sox to brink of title, dies at 83

Theirs a pitcher to remember. His big turn around windup.
RIP EL TIANTE.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Their lineup outside of Judge and Soto is underwhelming. They have arguably the two best hitters in the league, and nothing else impressive. It strikes me as a high-risk/high-reward way of constructing a lineup because all it takes is a short slump for one or both of their stars and they have little else to keep them afloat.

They had two guys in the lineup last night who were at least as bad as Biggio this year.

Having said that... the Royals lineup isn't exactly scary. I see their going full Alcides Escobar with Mikael Garcia in the leadoff spot still.

Looking at the Roylas lineup it got me thinking, who would you take for next year: Pasquantino or Horwitz? They are the same age, hit left, DH/1B, Vinnie being slightly more experienced at the MLB level. Thought maybe we could compare 2 similar players.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
How did they score so many runs during the regular season? Their lineup other than Judge and Soto seems underwhelming.
Raw output vs sequencing.

It's the same downfall of the last few Jays teams. If your lineup is built around 1-2 big guys, opponents can dramatically improve their outcomes by simply not pitching to the select couple.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Teoscar just hit a granny in the playoffs.... Low Hangin' Fruit and all...
That low hanging fruit Teoscar would have been first on the Blue Jays in HRs. Even last year in what was a down year for him he hit 25 HRs, only one less than Vladdy. He’s also the last Blue Jay to hit a home run in the playoffs. But hey Ross, who needs those in the playoffs. What a turd of a general manager we’ve been saddled with.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
That low hanging fruit Teoscar would have been first on the Blue Jays in HRs. Even last year in what was a down year for him he hit 25 HRs, only one less than Vladdy. He’s also the last Blue Jay to hit a home run in the playoffs. But hey Ross, who needs those in the playoffs. What a turd of a general manager we’ve been saddled with.
There were also 30 other teams that refused to sign him as well. I’m suprised he couldn’t find a multi year deal anywhere.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Quick reminder that there may not be a team in the league that relies as heavily on analytics as the Dodgers.
It wasn't really a shot at analytics. I'm pro analytics as it gets, but more a general post about fans using stats to defend a questionable move. Not you just generally. This also goes the other way too. Fans using stats to criricize a good move.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
It wasn't really a shot at analytics. I'm pro analytics as it gets, but more a general post about fans using stats to defend a questionable move. Not you just generally. This also goes the other way too. Fans using stats to criricize a good move.
Sure. I also don't think any of the Teoscar moves (the original trade or not signing him) are that hard to defend. In hindsight, they definitely should have signed him, obviously.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Sure. I also don't think any of the Teoscar moves (the original trade or not signing him) are that hard to defend. In hindsight, they definitely should have signed him, obviously.
Fair point. I guess the problem wasn't that they traded him, it was more about not replacing him properly. I said it before but they should have kept one of Gurriel or Teoscar. Knowing how things have worked out probably Teoscar.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Fair point. I guess the problem wasn't that they traded him, it was more about not replacing him properly. I said it before but they should have kept one of Gurriel or Teoscar. Knowing how things have worked out probably Teoscar.
What sucks is that they traded him with 1 year arb left, and he signed with Seattle for $14M which wasnt that much more than $10M he made with the last year with the Jays.

They got absolutely hosed to only get one mediocre reliever for a proven home run hitter and run producer.

They freakin gave $13M to Justin Turner this year, and i think around $10M to Brandon Belt the year before.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Are these MLB games all national televised? No local coverage. Costas annoys me.
Yeah playoffs is always split nationally between TBS/FOX.

Costas is legit awful. Between his pointless ass monologues between pitches and his weird tendency to just dial in on a player and shit on them all series he's by far the worst of the national announcers. Like in this KC/NY series he has the absolute weirdest hate boner for Stanton because surprisingly, a big guy with a ton of lower body injuries in his career can't run well anymore. Costas feels like he MUST point this out what feels like every few minutes and i think he legit believes he's an intellectual for doing so. That or he loves listening to himself talk.

I'm the furthest thing from a Yankees sympathizer but for f***s sake, Bob. No one asked. Case and point;

Everyone is yelling bias here but to me it sounds like he's angry at Stanton and only Stanton lmao.

Shame most of the good baseball announcers like Gary Cohen, Don Orsillo or shit even Dan and Buck are local only (though i think Shulman still does radio work for ESPN during the postseason iirc)

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What sucks is that they traded him with 1 year arb left, and he signed with Seattle for $14M which wasnt that much more than $10M he made with the last year with the Jays.

They got absolutely hosed to only get one mediocre reliever for a proven home run hitter and run producer.

They freakin gave $13M to Justin Turner this year, and i think around $10M to Brandon Belt the year before.

They should have kept Teo, but still go get Varsho. There's a balance between D and O. Jays went too much the other way that off season. I think getting Varsho, one of the best defenders in all of MLB, was a good move. We can debate what we gave up, but I think Varsho is great. If we had a better offence around him, we wouldn't care about his bat. That's on Atkins.

Reactions: torontoblood

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
They should have kept Teo, but still go get Varsho. There's a balance between D and O. Jays went too much the other way that off season. I think getting Varsho, one of the best defenders in all of MLB, was a good move. We can debate what we gave up, but I think Varsho is great. If we had a better offence around him, we wouldn't care about his bat. That's on Atkins.
Yeah Moreno hasn't exactly turned heads since being moved, and the WAR is actually in Toronto's favor even with him putting him and Gurriel together against Varsho.

It's like you said exactly; Varsho's flaws would go completely under the radar if he was on a team that had more than 2 good bats at most. In a real lineup, he's probably hitting at the bottom of the order with no real expectations and getting praised for his defensive prowess. Instead, he's hitting on a team where he's expected to be a middle of the order bat because they had no middle of the order.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Yeah playoffs is always split nationally between TBS/FOX.

Costas is legit awful. Between his pointless ass monologues between pitches and his weird tendency to just dial in on a player and shit on them all series he's by far the worst of the national announcers. Like in this KC/NY series he has the absolute weirdest hate boner for Stanton because surprisingly, a big guy with a ton of lower body injuries in his career can't run well anymore. Costas feels like he MUST point this out what feels like every few minutes and i think he legit believes he's an intellectual for doing so. That or he loves listening to himself talk.

I'm the furthest thing from a Yankees sympathizer but for f***s sake, Bob. No one asked. Case and point;

Everyone is yelling bias here but to me it sounds like he's angry at Stanton and only Stanton lmao.

Shame most of the good baseball announcers like Gary Cohen, Don Orsillo or shit even Dan and Buck are local only (though i think Shulman still does radio work for ESPN during the postseason iirc)
LOL he really did seem mad and disgusted, HIs sarcasm is awful for an apparent professional.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Imagine if the deals went through to get Lindor and/or JRam. The complexion of the team would have looked much different.
The Guardians better ****ing win something for J-Ram given he took an enormously team friendly deal to stay when most guys would have either just waited until free agency or asked out.

Probably my favorite non-Jay in the league. The man does everything and somehow never gets the love because there's always someone just a wee bit better. Case in point this year; nearly hit the 40/40 threshold but no one cares because Ohtani is out there ruling over the game with an iron fist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad