Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season - Complete without a great title in keeping with the performance

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Seeing the city connect’s modelled, I don’t think they’re THAT bad, but the CN tower design is just awful. I do like the jersey paired with the red sleeves. Overall not great, but I get the concept (night vibes, street lights).

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I don't love the jersey but it looks better with the full uniform and I think the hat is pretty good.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Lol. Mets reliever Jorge Lopez got into it with an umpire, got ejected, threw his glove into the stands as he stormed off the field, then in the post-game presser he buried the team and called them the worst team in MLB.

In response the Mets DFA'd him.

I was randomly there and thought he must have gotten injured or something but getting ejected by the 3B umpire is pretty funny

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
As of today the MLB record books are integrating Negro Leagues records and including Negro League performances and history in the official record-keeping of major professional baseball.

This is fun for two reasons:

1) The unsurprising amount of hand-wringing from people who act like it's heresy to include those stats alongside "real" MLB ones without recognizing that all this move does is bring the Negro Leagues records up to the same point that numerous other leagues of the early days of organized pro baseball. The official record book of Major League Baseball has, since the 1960s, included records from 4 other major pro leagues from the late 1800s to mid 1910s that are not necessarily direct ancestors of the modern AL and NL but have been considered equivalent in talent and competition to the preeminent pro baseball of their eras. The fact that the Negro Leagues were not afforded the same consideration and inclusion was mostly down to a) racism and b) a lack of concrete and verified records of Negro Leagues competition. With the former having lessened with the passage of time and the latter having been rectified to the best of anyone's ability recently with a massive project to research, correct, restore, and verify as many game results and performances as possible, it's now reasonable to be able to put the Negro Leagues history alongside those other leagues as a major pro league of roughly equivlanet talent.

and 2) The fact that notoriously, virulently racist (even by the low standards of the time) Ty Cobb gets his career batting average record supplanted by Josh Gibson is hilarious.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Those are better than some of the other gimmicky uniforms. Black pants should be illegal, but I see them more and more.
Yeah, I don't like them, but I also think they're one of the better ones we've seen so far.

Like Kurtz pointed out, these things are generally geared towards the younger fans, and I can see this one being a big draw.

Reactions: Nineteen67

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I get it since they are the BLUE Jays, but it’s a city connect and the city’s flag has the red maple leaf in it.

There's more red in that reveal than blue.

If you're a team with a colour in your name, you've gotta stick with that colour as an overwhelming primary or it's really jarring.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Two Toronto icons

IMG_5260.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
There's more red in that reveal than blue.

If you're a team with a colour in your name, you've gotta stick with that colour as an overwhelming primary or it's really jarring.
They really just need to swap out the undershirts and socks with blue.

I don't mind the jersey. I think the hat sucks (just the T or just the maple leaf would be fine... both is bad) and dark pants is always a bad idea.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They really just need to swap out the undershirts and socks with blue.

I don't mind the jersey. I think the hat sucks (just the T or just the maple leaf would be fine... both is bad) and dark pants is always a bad idea.

Yeah with blue undershirts it's not as bad.

The whole thing is really dark, though, and I doubt it comes across too well on TV.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah with blue undershirts it's not as bad.

The whole thing is really dark, though, and I doubt it comes across too well on TV.
Yeah, that seems like it could be an issue, and I wonder if that's the idea behind the red.

Regardless, Washington's City Connect uniforms were great and are the only one I've actually liked. Most of them have been awful, so it feels like "I don't really like them but whatever" is a pretty positive result given what we've seen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, that seems like it could be an issue, and I wonder if that's the idea behind the red.

Regardless, Washington's City Connect uniforms were great and are the only one I've actually liked. Most of them have been awful, so it feels like "I don't really like them but whatever" is a pretty positive result given what we've seen.

People made fun of Seattle's as 'softball jerseys' or whatever but I thought they looked great live when I went to the Jays series there last year.

I also quite like the San Diego ones although I know that's a minority opinion.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Those are better than some of the other gimmicky uniforms. Black pants should be illegal, but I see them more and more.

Dark jersey/dark pants suck more often than not. They're only slightly less awful than light jersey/dark pants, which almost always gives off big time "weekend beer league softball" vibes.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Dark jersey/dark pants suck more often than not. They're only slightly less awful than light jersey/dark pants, which almost always gives off big time "weekend beer league softball" vibes.
That was common for Bugtussle high in 1A high school baseball, and Vanderbilt, but now they’re everywhere.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Laughable that Mattingly is still the bench coach and offensive coordinator of this team.

The big difference is that the Jays have made significant progress, while the Mariners haven't.

April R/G:
Mariners bottom 5
Jays bottom 5

May R/G:
Mariners bottom 5
Jays top 10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad