Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Roden with another big night. This guy's on fire! 3-4 with a run and rbi. Now hitting .298 with a .849 OPS.
Other notable performances:
AANH: starter Abdiel Mendoza 4.1ip, 0 er, but 5(!) unearned. Dehian Santos with two more clean innings.
A+Van: Jace Bohrofen with another HR. Irv Carter much better this year than ‘23 threw 2 clean innings as well
ADun: Beltre, 2-2, 3bb, 2b, sb. Couple big games lately. Michelletti 3-4, hr

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Media chatting more about Vladdy getting more burn at 3B. Interesting thought experiment.
I think it gives the team plenty of flexibility to simplify their shopping list heading into free agency AND shopping Bo.
Really can focus on just signing the best bat who’s interested in being here.
You can easily see how the flexibility of decent/league average bats can make it work with who can cover the rest of the time at 3B, 1B, 2B and even SS. Plenty of platoon flex with many of the players on the roster already.
Similarly, makes it easiest to just grab the best package for Bo without pigeon holing for needs. The highlight of the package can be anything….SP, SS, thumper, C, whatever.
I think it’s shaping up to be a fun off-season.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Need an Ace next season but near impossible to acquire one. How about Sign a good back of rotation pitcher instead? With Francis gives team best 4-5 starters in baseball. Over 162 games means more wins than an ace would have over Gausman 12. Also enough cash left over to sign best bullpen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Roden with another big night. This guy's on fire! 3-4 with a run and rbi. Now hitting .298 with a .849 OPS.

He's slashing .400/.475/.624 in the last month since July 26.

Nate must be on a run….he had a rocky start with the Cubs.

Weirdly he's only made 7 appearances in nearly a month and only 2 in nearly 2 weeks since August 13.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I am surprised Garcia has struggled. Pearson's underlying numbers aren't too good.

Outside of Kikuchi nothing to write home about which is not surprising considering how bad the team was. Kikuchi is what Houston needed though they had to get a good depth starting pitcher and as long as you don't ask too many innings to Kikuchi he'll do the job.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Outside of Kikuchi nothing to write home about which is not surprising considering how bad the team was. Kikuchi is what Houston needed though they had to get a good depth starting pitcher and as long as you don't ask too many innings to Kikuchi he'll do the job.

Kiermaier has been a really nice depth addition for LA.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

That trade looks solid for Houston (gave up a lot, but the performance is exactly that they needed) and unbelievably great for the Jays: Loperfido and Wagner have come in and looked good, Bloss has been solid in Buffalo, and they plugged Kikuchi's spot in the rotation with Francis, who's been every bit as good as Kikuchi since the trade.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
I didn't realize Pearson's numbers were that good given his start with the Cubs. Mind you, I think the fans were more than ready to see him move on to another opportunity.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I didn't realize Pearson's numbers were that good given his start with the Cubs. Mind you, I think the fans were more than ready to see him move on to another opportunity.
He hasn't been walking any, but other than that it's been all luck for Pearson so far in Chicago: .179 BABIP and 97.2 LOB%. He hasn't struck many out and still has a HR problem. He's getting hit harder than ever but somehow they've mostly going for outs so far.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
So you watch these players we brought up, or brought in, progress. Do we trade Bo in the offseason for a big bat (Corner outfielder/DH) or a pitcher? Then sign what we don't trade for.

Most of these guys look like they can play and are also versatile.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
So you watch these players we brought up, or brought in, progress. Do we trade Bo in the offseason for a big bat (Corner outfielder/DH) or a pitcher? Then sign what we don't trade for.

Most of these guys look like they can play and are also versatile.
Yup. Bo can be dangled for the best package they can find regardless of position since there’s a few needs throughout the roster, but the flexibility with positions and handedness should reduce the need to focus on specifics.
I still like that LHP prospect from LAD if they make a pitch.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Vladdy is now 11 in fWAR and 8th in wRC+ among anyone with at least 100PA. He's 5th among qualified hitters and the other 3 are Tucker (currently on a run of power that seems like Luck), Call (hitting more than 100 points above anything he'd done before on only 113 PA), and Wallner (who may legit be joining the elite hitters in baseball).

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I am surprised Garcia has struggled. Pearson's underlying numbers aren't too good.

WAR IN:
Loperfido: 0.4
Wagner: 0.2
Yarbrough: 0.4
Total bWAR: 1.0

WAR OUT:

Kikuchi: 0.5
IKF: 0.3
Jansen: 0.1
Kiermaier: 0.4
Garcia: -0.2
Turner: -0.1
Richards: 0.1
Pearson: 0.2
Total bWAR: 1.3

Other notable players since the deadline:

Jimenez: 0.3 fWAR
Francis: 0.9 fWAR
Burr: 0.1 fWAR

Only real loss is Kikuchi at this stage.

Last edited:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Vlad is currently having the 4th best season in franchise history in terms of wRC+. His 2021 was the 5th best.

Top 3 are 2011 Bautista (180), 1993 Olerud (179), and 2000 Delgado (179).

This made me think about how bad that 2011 offence was despite how good Bautista was.

But still, so many people want to complain about how current management builds offence, yet looking back at the complete history of the Jays, they account for 3/10 of the teams top lineups (based on wRC+).

And no I don’t care about runs scored because the steroid era Jays would just crush majority of the other seasons (sans 2015 and 2021).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad