Datsyuk - Bergeron - Hossa vs Kariya - Kopitar - Guy Lafleur

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who wins in a best of 7 ? (Bottom 3 forward lines and rest of the roster is the current Flames)

• Pavel Datsyuk - Patrice Bergeron - Marian Hossa

• Paul Kariya - Anže Kopitar- Guy Lafleur

Results are only viewable after voting.

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
Datsuyk > Kariya
Bergeron = Kopitar
Hossa < Guy

Close, but in a real world match up I think Dats & Co wins because of a higher lowest level and consistent disciplined defense.

Guy line could fit that description as well, but Dats line does it better imo

Reactions: Tupu

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
LaFleur is a S tier player the others are all A:s so voted for his group. Now it's close enough that synergy etc would matter so who knows but the logical choice is group 2.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Guy Lafleur was a great player but wasn’t dominant when better younger players start entering the NHL . He’s a pre Modern era player. Sorry that fact may hurt your feelings but that’s true.

What am I reading lol

Lafleur had to be dethroned by f***ing Wayne Gretzky, as the best player in the World

He's like 1 or 2 tiers above anybody else in this thread AINEC

Tupu

Dec 20, 2012
Lafleur is the best player here, but Datsyuk tips the scales for me easily. He was strong af, very physical when needed and could basically level anyone with a hit without the puck. Sometimes I've got a feeling that people think he was only skilled with the puck and otherwise soft.

Reactions: authentic

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Lafleur is the best player here, but Datsyuk tips the scales for me easily. He was strong af, very physical when needed and could basically level anyone with a hit without the puck. Sometimes I've got a feeling that people think he was only skilled with the puck and otherwise soft.
This is how I see it as well.

Reactions: authentic and Tupu

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Datsyuk cranked out two 97 point, Selke-winning seasons. Bergeron is a 70pt Selke dominator. Hossa is in his prime was a 40 goal scorer and later turned into a 60+pt dominant shutdown forward with formidable physical presence.

They'd be shutting down the other line and outscoring them
I am not arguing how good defensively they were. Because I agree. I have huge respect for the defensive players in this discussion.

But Prime Lafleur was able to go against some pretty damn good defensive forwards and nobody could stop him. He was fast, dynamic and hard to predict and he could score with anyone on his line. He was a McDavid with a short peak. Bobby Clarke is probably the GOAT defensive forward and he couldn't always stop Lafleur anymore than someone could stop Orr or McDavid.

Bergeron went head to head with McDavid less often than a decent sample size as the only played each other once or twice a year, but McDavid scored 4 goals and 12 assists in 11 games, and Edmonton won 7 out of 11 games. Im not holding that against bergeron. I am just saying, some dynamic guys can't be stopped. Forsberg and Bure used to undress Lidstrom, but that doesn't mean Lidstrom wasn't amazing defensively.

Tupu

Dec 20, 2012
I am not arguing how good defensively they were. Because I agree. I have huge respect for the defensive players in this discussion.

But Prime Lafleur was able to go against some pretty damn good defensive forwards and nobody could stop him. He was fast, dynamic and hard to predict and he could score with anyone on his line. He was a McDavid with a short peak. Bobby Clarke is probably the GOAT defensive forward and he couldn't always stop Lafleur anymore than someone could stop Orr or McDavid.

Bergeron went head to head with McDavid less often than a decent sample size as the only played each other once or twice a year, but McDavid scored 4 goals and 12 assists in 11 games, and Edmonton won 7 out of 11 games. Im not holding that against bergeron. I am just saying, some dynamic guys can't be stopped. Forsberg and Bure used to undress Lidstrom, but that doesn't mean Lidstrom wasn't amazing defensively.
Well Bergeron aint no Datsyuk, but Barkov can be at this moment for sure and in the future.

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Lafleur is easily the greatest of these players, in terms of career accomplishments/legacy. However, if we're talking about them literally playing each other in a best of 7 series, as this question asks, he'd be completely outclassed. Hockey changed dramatically from the 70s/80s to the 2000s, and you will not convince me that this guy would compete well with Datsyuk/Bergeron/Hossa:

Obviously the film quality and the old school gear does players of this era no favours on the eye test, but it's not just that. Hockey also evolved a lot since then, and the skill level is just a lot higher today. Punch turns, curl and drag snap shots, small area puck control, mohawks and other crazy edge work, etc. - these are skills players back then simply didn't have, and add them all up, modern stars have much deeper toolboxes and would dominate the stars of the 70s/80s. While the 2000s/2010s, much much closer to the modern game. 2000s/2010s stars could do everything the 70s/80s stars could do, and much, much more. Also team tactics improved so much - the 70s/80s features very weak forechecking, poor d-zone pressure, and even offensively so little in terms of puck control/possession, so much just crossing the blue line and taking a slapper. Players who grew up with these modern tactics, straight up superior strategies that have evolved over time, they'd have a massive edge.

If we're just teleporting all these guys straight out of their prime onto an ice surface today, Datsyuk/Bergeron/Hossa easily.

Last edited:

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Lafleur is easily the greatest of these players, in terms of career accomplishments/legacy. However, if we're talking about them literally playing each other in a best of 7 series, as this question asks, he'd be completely outclassed. Hockey changed dramatically from the 70s/80s to the 2000s, and you will not convince me that this guy would compete well with Datsyuk/Bergeron/Hossa:

If we're just teleporting all these guys straight out of their prime onto an ice surface today, Datsyuk/Bergeron/Hossa easily.

is this a "Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky would suck today" mentality?

Reactions: BraveCanadian

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
is this a "Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky would suck today" mentality?
If they were born 25-30 years ago, with the same genetics/mentality, but learned modern skills and tactics? I'm sure they'd be amazing. But if you plucked them out of their respective primes, and put them on the ice against modern versions of themselves, like McDavid and Makar, I think they'd be outclassed, yes.

• Haha
Reactions: BraveCanadian

Tupu

Dec 20, 2012
If they were born 25-30 years ago, with the same genetics/mentality, but learned modern skills and tactics? I'm sure they'd be amazing. But if you plucked them out of their respective primes, and put them on the ice against modern versions of themselves, like McDavid and Makar, I think they'd be outclassed, yes.
Which line would be winning then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad