Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Really hope we find some way to extend Bo instead of trading him
We're running out of good players as it is
Bo hasn't shown any indication he wants to remain in Toronto. Unless they offer him a highly inflated contract he's gone.

Jays should be focusing on keeping Vladdy, Unlike Bo, he has said he wants to remain a Blue Jay.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Ship Bo out. I like the guy but it is what it is. If he doesn't want to be here, then he shouldn't be here.

Take whatever money you would have given him and use it to grab Adames and then the rest on needs elsewhere.

Reactions: aingefan

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bo hasn't shown any indication he wants to remain in Toronto. Unless they offer him a highly inflated contract he's gone.

Jays should be focusing on keeping Vladdy, Unlike Bo, he has said he wants to remain a Blue Jay.

Yeah, Bo is gone. Some of the interviews he’s given (which have of course been ignored by Sportsnet) are pretty cut-and-dried. He is leaving at the first opportunity and will almost certainly be traded this winter.

Reactions: aingefan

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Yeah, Bo is gone. Some of the interviews he’s given (which have of course been ignored by Sportsnet) are pretty cut-and-dried. He is leaving at the first opportunity and will almost certainly be traded this winter.

Are you referring to that weird NBC/Giants interview where they ask him about San Fran and choosing a team?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I wonder if Bo checked out mentally to start the year after the Jays didn’t make any impact moves last offseason
He went on record saying the Jays should get Turner and they did.

Might just want to play in the US or a specific market. His dad was with the team but then they got rid of him because it came out Dante beat up his wife and Dante Jr. Bo might have been pissed about the team getting rid of his dad?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
He went on record saying the Jays should get Turner and they did.

Might just want to play in the US or a specific market. His dad was with the team but then they got rid of him because it came out Dante beat up his wife and Dante Jr. Bo might have been pissed about the team getting rid of his dad?

Bo got the final say on whether Dante was going to stick around. He chose to not have him remain with the club in spite of other players wanting him here.

Reactions: canucksfan

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Ah sucks because Bo will go on and do great somewhere else but it’s not uncommon for ball players to look to move around.

Just hope they can get a haul and keep the players like Vlad who want to stay

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Are you referring to that weird NBC/Giants interview where they ask him about San Fran and choosing a team?

There was an interview a while back where someone asked whether or not Bo would be surprised if he was traded, and his answer was a pretty blunt "no".

Not an "i hope not because i like it here", or anything like that, but it gave the impression that he isn't really keen on sticking around. :dunno:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Ah sucks because Bo will go on and do great somewhere else but it’s not uncommon for ball players to look to move around.

Just hope they can get a haul and keep the players like Vlad who want to stay

I don't think it's personal against Toronto, Canada, or the Jays. Some players just want to move around, like you said. Try something different. A change of scenery. Start fresh somewhere else.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Disappointing if Bo really wants out. I thought he was going to be a long-time Jay and the face of the franchise with Vladdy for many years ahead.

Management better not eff things up and get Vladdy signed this off-season. They've waited long enough as it is for it to happen.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca

Q: If you sat down at the end of the year, or even right now and said, where did it go wrong? How would you explain it to Blue Jays fans?

A: Yeah. I mean, I'll say this. I've been a part of four organizations. The four organizations I've been a part of, they all have had a lot of problems. Others have had a lot of problems, a lot of problems.

I think we do a lot of things right here. But to me, everybody has issues. It's just like I don't want to be one of those guys that talk about the team's issues publicly. I see players do it, and I don't want to identify the problems because some of the problems I don't think are fixable

The one thing I will say about the Blue Jays for this year is, we put, I think, $700 million into Shohei Otani's basket and didn't get them. That was the reality. And then I think our pivot was, we really didn't have a pivot

I wonder what Bassitt thinks the Jays unfixable problems are?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I wonder what Bassitt thinks the Jays unfixable problems are?

That’s interesting. I don’t know what he is talking about, but one thing you can’t fix is geography. Some players don’t want to sign in Toronto because they don’t want to learn the metric system or don’t want to go through customs so many times. I don’t know, what else?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
This entire thread reeks of extreme FO shilling on Zwelling's part. The way the narrative of the thread is structured almost reads like damage control for the team.
Doubt it. Bassitt clarified his comments. The unfixable problems that he listed make sense.

The problem with athletes going on podcasts is the hosts usually just let them speak and don't ask clarifying questions.

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Doubt it. Bassitt clarified his comments. The unfixable problems that he listed make sense.

The problem with athletes going on podcasts is the hosts usually just let them speak and don't ask clarifying questions.
Nah Arden's 2 deflections in his thread where he says "weren't referring to a lack of ambition from Toronto’s front office" and "rather than structural issues within the organization" absolutely reek of a Rogers employee desperately trying to run damage control and deflect from the real problems by directly stating the opposite (aka "the problems are not the problems").

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Nah Arden's 2 deflections in his thread where he says "weren't referring to a lack of ambition from Toronto’s front office" and "rather than structural issues within the organization" absolutely reek of a Rogers employee desperately trying to run damage control and deflect from the real problems by directly stating the opposite (aka "the problems are not the problems").
All he's doing is summarizing Bassitt's words.

Reactions: Discoverer

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
All he's doing is summarizing Bassitt's words.
First of all Bassitt never outright said "I don't think there are structural issues in the org" so that one isn't a summarization, it's from Zwelling himself.

Second of all, Bassitt nor anyone else cannot say with a straight face that pivoting from Ohtani to Justin Turner and IKF (while not seriously pursuing Joc Pederson or JD Martinez for DH, and a reunion with Chapman at 3B) demonstrates ambition from the FO. It's absolutely laughable.

IKF was the opposite of ambitious, a high floor no ceiling addition who they blew other offers out of the water to get, but still came cheaper than Chapman and also allowed them to make the mistake of overpaying KK to bring him back at 10.5M. Shatkins got lucky he blew his projections out of the water during his short stint here. Selling high on him even though he was under team control in 2025 at a position of need while they are still saying they want to compete next year says a lot in that regard.

What's also laughable was having Turner higher on their DH free agent target list than 2 clearly superior hitters vs RHP in Joc and JDM because Turner is an everyday DH with the versatility to occasionally spot start in the infield, while Joc is only a strong side platoon guy and JDM is a DH-only who cannot play anywhere in the field. Nevermind the fact that RHPs make up roughly 75% of MLB pitchers. Shatkins couldn't even be "ambitious" enough to allocate anything more than 2M to a DH-only type.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad