Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Bo has had a bad year year but his track record is very good so he’s fine at SS. He’s one of the better SS in the league.

Horwitz has shown a lot of promise at second. Again both of them are fine and would be good enough for the team to compete.
Maybe. But those players and 3B will have to improve their play and they’ll have to add players, such as a catcher, closer, OF that can hit, both starters and pen.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Going into the offseason this is what the Jays will have and need. Might have forgot someone I did this quickly.

C- Kirk
1B-Vladdy
2B- Horwitz
3B - ?
SS- Bo
CF- Varsho
RF- Springer
LF-? Could be one of the younger guys
DH-?

Bench
C- ?
Clement
One of the younger outfielders
Schneider?

Need a good backup catcher or a starter. I am not confident with Kirk going in as a full time starter. I don't see any of the younger guys taking it to the next level so need a 3B. The Jays need another top of the order bat. They needed one last year and got Turner which was a big disappointment. They have a lot of players and not many places for them. I could see them trading a guy like Schneider for a reliever. They seem high on Wagner so he might be the 3B but I don't think they should be gambling with too many spots.

Rotation
Gausman
Berrios
Bassitt
?
Yariel

As I said before I am not too confident in the rotation due to a decline with the veterans. If they got a guy like Burnes that changes drastically. They do have Manoah and Francis as depth. I forgot about Bloss as well.

Bullpen
Romano
Swanson
Cabrera
Little
Green

I would think they need 2-3 reliever with one of them being high leverage. Not too confident in Swanson and Romano's injury is a concern.

I am still not sold they can compete in 2025 but overall it was a solid deadline. They can't have a passive offseason like last year. They really need to be aggressive.

Reactions: aingefan

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Going into the offseason this is what the Jays will have and need. Might have forgot someone I did this quickly.

C- Kirk
1B-Vladdy
2B- Horwitz
3B - ?
SS- Bo
CF- Varsho
RF- Springer
DH-?

Bench
C- ?
Clement
Schneider?

Need a good backup catcher or a starter. I am not confident with Kirk going in as a full time starter. I don't see any of the younger guys taking it to the next level so need a 3B. The Jays need another top of the order bat. They needed one last year and got Turner which was a big disappointment. They have a lot of players and not many places for them. I could see them trading a guy like Schneider for a reliever. They seem high on Wagner so he might be the 3B but I don't think they should be gambling with too many spots.

Rotation
Gausman
Berrios
Bassitt
?
Yariel

As I said before I am not too confident in the rotation due to a decline with the veterans. If they got a guy like Burnes that changes drastically. They do have Manoah and Francis as depth.

Bullpen
Romano
Swanson
Cabrera
Little
Green

I would think they need 2-3 reliever with one of them being high leverage. Not too confident in Swanson and Romano's injury is a concern.

I am still not sold they can compete in 2025 but overall it was a solid deadline. They can't have a passive offseason like last year. They really need to be aggressive.
If Atkins still the GM it won’t matter. Guy doesn’t know how to build balanced rosters.

Reactions: GreytWun

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If anybody saw that interview with Atkins by Tim Micallef, I think I feel sympathetic to Ross. He said "I am sorry" so many times. Seems to be genuinely accountable.
I can feel sympathetic for him on a personal human level but on a business professional level he should be gone. A lot of fans saw this season coming given how last year and the offseason went. Even the most ardent Atkins supporters admit that he’s failed.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Soto would make the singular most downstream impact on our roster, but it's for that reason the Yankees will likely give him what whatever he wants.

If we could get him though that would be a heck of a one-two punch with Vlad.
I also expect the Yankees to give him whatever he wants, but Soto would be perfect on every level.
The Renovations would pay for themselves fast because the stadium would be packed for Soto & Guerrero alone.
Also no reason to think he wants to leave judge and being a New York Yankee.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

C- Kirk
1B-Vladdy
2B- Horwitz
3B - ?
SS- Bo
CF- Varsho
RF- Springer
DH-?

Bench
C- ?
Clement
Schneider?

Rotation
Gausman
Berrios
Bassitt
?
Yariel

As I said before I am not too confident in the rotation due to a decline with the veterans. If they got a guy like Burnes that changes drastically. They do have Manoah and Francis as depth. I forgot about Bloss as well.

Bullpen
Romano
Swanson
Cabrera
Little
Green

They should have a ton of options for filling those bench/platoon spots with cheap pre-arb guys. Between Loperfido, Clase, Wagner, Orelvis Jimenez, etc. I think the bottom end of the position player roster is in really good shape with lots of depth and talent. Get a solid catcher to help Kirk and make one big splash (Soto, damnit) and you're good to go.

The pitching feels way more complicated since they need rotation help and more depth and half a bullpen. Bloss sure helps there, but still a lot of work to do.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I’m not so sure anymore. The way he was talking in his interview today makes me think he might be back.
What do you expect him to say? "They went over my head to make moves and im going to be fired at years end but am allowed to stay on the job until years end to save face"

Reactions: Nineteen67

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

C- Kirk
1B-Vladdy
2B- Horwitz
3B - ?
SS- Bo
CF- Varsho
RF- Springer
DH-?

Bench
C- ?
Clement
Schneider?

Rotation
Gausman
Berrios
Bassitt
?
Yariel

Bullpen
Romano
Swanson
Cabrera
Little
Green

Kirk cannot be your number 1 catcher. He can be a 1B but you got to find someone good enough to play at least half the games.

GermanJay

Mar 4, 2017
Really surprised and happy they were able to move out Kiner-Falefa. I didn't think they would be able to find a home for his contract. What a terrible signing that was. Overall, they freed up money to hopefully allow the Franchise to do a reset in the offseason and make this terrible season a distant memory. Still not a fan of management, but they get a solid B from me.
How was Kiner Falefa a terrible signing? Doesnt make sense

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Save for possibly Jansen, none of the guys moved out were going to really be a part of anything here beyond the next year or two. So it was a great job to clear them out, recapture salary savings, and load up the prospect cupboard. What they amount to remains to be seen, but here's hoping at least a couple of them hit. At least there will be a reasonable prospect pipeline we can follow closer today than we did 48 hours ago.

The only downfall of these moves is signalling this team is much further away from being a contender than we've thought based on the expectations from the last few years, and highlighting the inability (I'll stop short of calling it a failure) of this management group to do anything with this group and the team in general for nearly a full decade now.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I also expect the Yankees to give him whatever he wants, but Soto would be perfect on every level.
The Renovations would pay for themselves fast because the stadium would be packed for Soto & Guerrero alone.
Also no reason to think he wants to leave judge and being a New York Yankee.
Soto is it.. I love his approach.. He is not like other power hitters we have had here. Tremendous eye at the plate. Clutch.. Has to be the target, back up every brinks truck we have.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

While i will acknowledge his deadline was very good, you're the reason the team is in this spot, Ross.

This f***ing dork has been here 9 years and has produced two seasons of actually competitive baseball. I don't count last year because they only got in because the Mariners decided to be the Mariners and everyone knew that team didn't have a hope in hell of making a run. Why is he allowed to keep his job?

Rogers used their influence within MLSE to try shitcan Masai Ujiri after the Raptors won the NBA championship because they "didn't like his attitude." and yet they let this guy stick around?

The only way he should be even considered to stick around is if he cleans house on the schlubs that need to be fired. Martinez, Hudgens, and Mattingly. All three of them should have been fired after last year but nooooo. And even then i probbaly want him in the unemployment line with the rest of them.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I can feel sympathetic for him on a personal human level but on a business professional level he should be gone. A lot of fans saw this season coming given how last year and the offseason went. Even the most ardent Atkins supporters admit that he’s failed.
Also this. I don't have anything against Ross Atkins the human being. I'm sure he's a totally fine person outside of the executive's box.

I do however have a hatred for Ross Atkins the executive and i hope his head metaphorically ends up on a pike.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
How was Kiner Falefa a terrible signing? Doesnt make sense
Please walk us through why you think signing IKF at the term and $ amount was not a terrible signing.

If you believe in your statement, defend it. You are the one saying that it doesn't make sense for others to think it was a terrible signing.

Show your math...defend the signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad