Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I really think it's a mistake not to move another starter. With the returns we're seeing we should absolutely cash in at least one more chip. We can fix the rotation in the off season.

I've also heard several times that the Jays and Kikuchi may reunite in the off season

100%. i know it wasnt popular when i brought it up before but i would move both Bassitt and Gausman. You dont need them this year and you could net at least 3-4 good pieces; either top 100 prospects or MLB ready prospects worth the same as top 100 guys. These guys are turning 34 and 35, there will be a drop off and there may be signs of that for Gausman now.

Then use the $45M in the off-season to replace them with younger arms. Burnes and Flaherty? Flier on Jordan Montgomery? Trade for Snell if SF is rebuilding? Have SF retain on Robbie Ray and bring him back. Maybe even Kikuchi.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
100%. i know it wasnt popular when i brought it up before but i would move both Bassitt and Gausman. You dont need them this year and you could net at least 3-4 good pieces; either top 100 prospects or MLB ready prospects worth the same as top 100 guys. These guys are turning 34 and 35, there will be a drop off and there may be signs of that for Gausman now.

Then use the $45M in the off-season to replace them with younger arms. Burnes and Flaherty? Flier on Jordan Montgomery? Trade for Snell if SF is rebuilding? Have SF retain on Robbie Ray and bring him back. Maybe even Kikuchi.
Maybe trade Bassitt for 2 good prospects. Use his salary this winter bring back Kikuchi?

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

If they're serious about their claim of competing in 2025 then i can't see both guys moving (though i 100% agree i would at least see what's out there)

Bassitt as likeable and reliable as he is would absolutely be replaceable via free agency. With the damage done to the Jays pitching depth (Manoah, Tiedemann both out long term) i'm not sure Gausman would be...assuming this isn't the beginning of a decline as you pointed out. You would have to land one of the bigger names via free agency which isn't a guarantee.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Got most the heavy lifting out of the way... any other deals they make will be if people meet their demands. KK for nothing if someone is willing to take him.. you do the veteran a favor and move him to someone with playoff hopes and open up a spot . As for Bassit and Gausman... can't really see either being moved but if someone is willing to take on the full contract, I can see the appeal to open up the books. IFK isn't needed to be moved but could be...Bichette... seems like off season deal but could be wrong. They may want to mend the relationship and see if long term is still an option.

Vlad should be duct taped to a chair and never allowed to leave. Don't care what anyone says.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

I'm of the same mind that they should move both and said that a while ago as well. The problem is we do still need to finish out this season and we have zero even bad pitchers to put into the rotation. Unless we get back a starter in the deals.

Be nice to see another player or two moved today
Really hope at least KK is moved just to clear the roster spot. We need to see what the kids can do and there's zero value in having him here anymore.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
At this point I'm not sure the Giants know what the Giants are doing.

That 2021 season might have been the worst thing to happen to them in hindsight. They probably would have hard committed to a rebuild by now without it.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Highway robbery for Miami

We need to move Bassitt and/or Gausman if this is what starting pitching is going for.
Yeah i mean people talk about moving Vlad to rebuild but he's young enough to be able to build around him i mean if this is the value of good pitchers and Jays want to retool trading Guzman and/or Bassitt would make a lot more sense considering their age.

Last edited:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Blair just said a rival executive said Shapiro and Click have had much bigger roles at this trade deadline than in past deadlines.

Says the Kikuchi deal reminds him of the Colon deal where Shapiro landed Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore and Brandon Phillips. Shapiro relied heavily on Tony LaCava regarding these prospects as he scouted them when with Montreal. Says Click has a similar role with the Jays as he drafted Loperfido and Wagner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad