Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Starting pitchers always seem to have an inflated value this time of year. Also, I think the fanbase overrated Jansen. He's been inconsistent his whole career.

Danny’s power has been sapped, injury prone, and can’t control the running game. I love the guy and would like to see him back but I didn’t expect much of a return for him given the things teams want in a catcher aren’t what he’s doing this season.

Jansen has had a bad month and obviously has an injury history but in 22-23 he hit 32 HR/97 RBI from about a season’s worth of ABs with an OPS+ over 120 and 4.5 bWAR. He’s one of the best offensive catchers in baseball and a respected veteran game-caller (even if his arm is iffy). The catching position in MLB is *thin* in terms of guys that can hit and to me he should have been a guy who brought a big return.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Just getting Bloss for Kikuchi is a great trade. Anything else is just gravy. Possible the other two players are for money purposes, though.
From the sound of it, the other two are prospects. Must’ve had to pony up to beat LAD or SD.

Reactions: Vector

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
If the former happens i'm sending you a very strongly worded letter that consists of nothing more than various threatening references to the UN and "screw phillipmike" written over and over again.

My showers used to be so peaceful.

1722301256221.jpeg

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
From the sound of it, the other two are prospects. Must’ve had to pony up to beat LAD or SD.
The fact there was a potential bidding war for Yusei Kikuchi, especially when there are better options out there on the block is a question even the greatest of minds won't be able to answer.

Trade deadline be wildin' as usual i guess.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
The fact there was a potential bidding war for Yusei Kikuchi, especially when there are better options out there on the block is a question even the greatest of minds will be able to answer.

Trade deadline be wildin' as usual i guess.
Can’t wait to see what Flaherty returns tomorrow.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Jansen has had a bad month and obviously has an injury history but in 22-23 he hit 32 HR/97 RBI from about a season’s worth of ABs with an OPS+ over 120 and 4.5 bWAR. He’s one of the best offensive catchers in baseball and a respected veteran game-caller (even if his arm is iffy). The catching position in MLB is *thin* in terms of guys that can hit and to me he should have been a guy who brought a big return.
He's had a horrible June and July. I don't think teams are too keen on getting a catcher at the deadline because they have to learn the pitching staff. Danny has been injured a lot so those are reasons why I think his value was lower.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Definitely gotta see what Bassitt could get.
At this point i'd say **** it and see what the market looks like for Gausman if that's the type of package needed to make a deal.

Blue Jays scandal update: Ross Atkins sleeps in an oxygen tent that he believes gives him trading powers.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Can’t wait to see what Flaherty returns tomorrow.
Potentially mindnumbing overpay coming on that front if i had to guess.

He's the best arm out there which means it probably comes down to the wire similar to when the Padres and Dodgers locked horns in a bidding war for Max Scherzer back in 2021.

Early reports are the Yankees and Orioles are already in on it as well as Philly. All of whom have legit World Series aspirations and the ammo needed to make a deal happen.

I would expect a Spencer Jones or Samuel Basallo type to be the centerpiece.

Edit: I supposed Snell and Crochet are out there as well but they seem far less likely to get moved before tomorrow.

Reactions: SoupNazi

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Potentially mindnumbing overpay coming on that front if i had to guess.

He's the best arm out there which means it probably comes down to the wire similar to when the Padres and Dodgers locked horns in a bidding war for Max Scherzer back in 2021.

Early reports are the Yankees and Orioles are already in on it as well as Philly. All of whom have legit World Series aspirations and the ammo needed to make a deal happen.

I would expect a Spencer Jones or Samuel Basallo type to be the centerpiece.

Edit: I supposed Snell and Crochet are out there as well but they seem far less likely to get moved before tomorrow.
I’d be legitimately shocked if Snell goes anywhere. I just don’t see him returning value with the opt out.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I’d be legitimately shocked if Snell goes anywhere. I just don’t see him returning value with the opt out.
There's also the whole thing of the Giants seemingly not knowing what the hell they want to do.

They're "in" it i suppose, but are they really doing anything in the postseason?

Then again someone probably said this about Arizona this time last year too so...

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
There's also the whole thing of the Giants seemingly not knowing what the hell they want to do.

They're "in" it i suppose, but are they really doing anything in the postseason?

Then again someone probably said this about Arizona this time last year too so...
The Giants have puzzled me for years. They’re directionless. If I was a fan I’d be pulling my hair out because their FO has no coherent plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad