Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Torch this mess and then clean house in the front office at year's end. Clear the decks for the next guy.
Pretty much how I feel. Not pumped that Atkins is the one cleaning house but it is what it is. Every asset we can get is good at this point. I think the Bo/Vlad stuff is addressed with the next management group. I don’t think they’d let these guys do it. Given the l right return moving off one of Gausman/Bassit would be good IMO

Reactions: aingefan

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Nate pearson is worth a bag of baseballs. The return is what you would expect for a guy that serves taters.

Pearson has one of the flattest fastballs I've ever seen. Hitters at this level aren't going to miss high 90s fastball with no movement.

You would pretty much have to completely overhaul his mechanics and arm slot if you want to get some movement on his fastball.
And to think who drafted him in the first round. Oh right it was Atkins.

Watch him return to an .850 ops catcher immediately, re-sign, and burn us for the next 5 seasons lol

Honestly nice to see Jansen get a shot at the playoffs again though.
Yes guaranteed he will get some CLUTCH hits. Might have cheer for Boston lol. I love Danny!

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I really don't know what this front office's plans are going forward. We'd need to spend something like another 80 million in payroll (which we won't) to bring in the types of free agents we'd need just to compete with the Yankees and Orioles.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I really liked the Garcia trade. To get a guy close to MLB who slotted in as our #7 prospect for an expiring 34 y/o reliever with a recent arm injury was a coup.

The Pearson trade, meh. Nothing for nothing.

But I really, really don't like this Danny Jansen trade, on multiple levels :

1) First off this is a player who never should have reached this situation. He's an above-average MLB starting catcher, still in his 20s, and should have been locked up long term ages ago. Especially given the trade of Moreno - that deal should never have happened if you don't have your current starter locked up long-term or know it won't be a problem. It's a trade for pennies on the dollar that only happens because of colossally poor planning.

2) It's the definition of quantity over quantity. Danny Jansen was the best catcher on the trade market, the best catcher in the UFA market this summer. This is a premium player. He's a guy who should have demanded at least one guy who was top-5-ish in somebody's system. According to the most recent re-ranking that I can find we just got the #15. #28, and a not-ranked prospect back in that trade. To me it's absolutely garbage value and it's nuts we got a substantially better prospect back for Garcia.

3) It's to a division rival. The f***ing Red Sox. The only way we should be rolling over for that team is if they're paying a massive premium for our assets. Just the overall feel is back to the 1994-2015 period as a 2nd tier franchise while Boston/NYY constantly stomped all over us.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Not just decided to not worry about it. They had it and actively decided they didn’t need it anymore.
I don't get this. That offseason, they moved out Teoscar, coming off a 25 HR season, and brought in Varsho, who had just hit 27.

The lack of power was because so many guys regressed in 2023. I have no problem blaming them for not identifying regression candidates or not having a good enough pro scouting staff, but I don't get how you can just say they ignored power when the guy they brought in had just outhomered the guy they moved out.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Sad to see Jansen go. I think he really liked it here and was a very good catcher. Had some injury issues but I am surprised or maybe I shouldn’t be surprised Atkins gave him the boot. I am sure he onto happier times. Good luck. He will be missed.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I really liked the Garcia trade. To get a guy close to MLB who slotted in as our #7 prospect for an expiring 34 y/o reliever with a recent arm injury was a coup.

The Pearson trade, meh. Nothing for nothing.

But I really, really don't like this Danny Jansen trade, on multiple levels :

1) First off this is a player who never should have reached this situation. He's an above-average MLB starting catcher, still in his 20s, and should have been locked up long term ages ago. Especially given the trade of Moreno - that deal should never have happened if you don't have your current starter locked up long-term or know it won't be a problem. It's a trade for pennies on the dollar that only happens because of colossally poor planning.

2) It's the definition of quantity over quantity. Danny Jansen was the best catcher on the trade market, the best catcher in the UFA market this summer. This is a premium player. He's a guy who should have demanded at least one guy who was top-5-ish in somebody's system. According to the most recent re-ranking that I can find we just got the #15. #28, and a not-ranked prospect back in that trade. To me it's absolutely garbage value and it's nuts we got a substantially better prospect back for Garcia.

3) It's to a division rival. The f***ing Red Sox. The only way we should be rolling over for that team is if they're paying a massive premium for our assets. Just the overall feel is back to the 1994-2015 period as a 2nd tier franchise while Boston/NYY constantly stomped all over us.
I very much agree with the part about Jano should have been locked up ages ago. Really just like Vlad and Bo but instead they are walking everyone to free agency. There is still an outside chance they re up him this off season but not holding my breath.

As for his trade value I would agree if he had maintained his regular offence through the season but he’s been a void since coming back from his last injury. For over a month he hasn’t been hitting at all. The market for teams looking for a catcher was slim at best. The return is fine for what he was doing but if this was last years version of Jano I’d agreed wholeheartedly.

This management group has just been so awful

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I think they've gotten solid (but no great) returns on the three trades as a whole. No high-end guys necessarily, but that's to be expected given the pieces they've moved (and considering Jansen's struggles the last couple months). I wouldn't be surprised if a Kikuchi trade ends up being a bit underwhelming too given how awful he's been his last few starts.

I think the biggest positive is that they've added 20-22 year olds with more upside rather than the 24-year-olds-we-can-plug-in-now type guys they focused on in 2018-2020. They're all huge wild cards as prospects, but at least the potential is easier to see on most of them than with the likes of Drury and McKinney and Kay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad