Prospect Info: 2024 Round 1, #10 Overall - LD Anton Silayev

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don't think that's true. Id be willing to bet we see at least 2 or 3 players that we could've drafted, in the NHL two years before Silayev

I have a hard time believing the guy who will have 3 KHL years under his belt when his contract is up in 2 years isn’t on the team. So unless you have 2/3 guys making it this year they’re not making it 2 years earlier

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I would’ve said this if I hadn’t seen Luke-Nemec absolutely decimate teams together this year

You say “even with Casey” making it as if he’d be dragging down a top 4
I like Silayev-Casey pair a lot. I think Casey will help with many things with his starting steps and short distance mobility to Silayev with escaping. Silayev will cover tonns of ice and can catch many players.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don't think that's true. Id be willing to bet we see at least 2 or 3 players that we could've drafted, in the NHL two years before Silayev
I think that means 2-3 players drafted after likely need to be regular NHL players this coming season.

I expect Silayev to play his 2 KHL years and then right into the NHL. He should have almost 200 KHL games at that point, he will have high level pro experience.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Its true, still believe it would be not so good. Its too more years(not one in case of Buium or Dickinson, may be even no more years) for Nemec and Luke to be better and than help to Silayev in some aspects. May be not as pair partners, but as training partners, as players who can eat more minutes to help Silayev with adaptation.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think that means 2-3 players drafted after likely need to be regular NHL players this coming season.

I expect Silayev to play his 2 KHL years and then right into the NHL. He should have almost 200 KHL games at that point, he will have high level pro experience.
No it doesn't.
It means Silayev won't be ready for 3/4 years.

In your most rosey scenario you admit to 3 years...and I doubt that.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Yea I could care less about his points, if everything works out with the players we already have, that's that last thing we need. Having a massive dude who no one notices for 15 game stretches while playing 18-20 minutes a night, until some insane Mcdavid/Mackinnon streaks past him for a goal, and everyone loses their mind because it was all his fault, and not that fact that it was a literal superstar on the other end of the stick, is exactly what we could use.
Or they notice him once he puts them flat out on the ice....

Reactions: TrufleShufle

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
No it doesn't.
It means Silayev won't be ready for 3/4 years.

In your most rosey scenario you admit to 3 years...and I doubt that.
No. To be 2 years before Sikayev they need to play this year.

This is 2 years before. Next year is 1 year before. The year after Silayev is in the NHL.

Reactions: Hisch13r

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I wanted MBN at that pick but I can't argue this pick and I like it as well....Once they take them we just hope for the best...I hope as many of these guys succeed as possible because they all are chasing a dream...Most won't realize that dream but damn I give them credit for the chase...

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
No. To be 2 years before Sikayev they need to play this year.

This is 2 years before. Next year is 1 year before. The year after Silayev is in the NHL.
No...they to play in 2026 and Silayev in 2028. Regardless I don't like the logistics of this

KHL is better than the AHL, not sure what you expect him to learn there if he is a top pair defensmen in the KHL.
Who is your favorite former top 10 pick, NHL defender that took this path successfully?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
No...they to play in 2026 and Silayev in 2028. Regardless I don't like the logistics of this
First, NHL season aren’t denoted by 1 year so you’re unclear here.

Two, I think you’re incorrect that he won’t be ready after his 2 year KHL deal is done. He will have way more top level experience than most of the other guys in the draft after 2 years, so if you think they will be ready then it’s reasonable that Silayev will be ready. We can of course disagree on that though, nobody can tell the future.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Two, I think you’re incorrect that he won’t be ready after his 2 year KHL deal is done. He will have way more top level experience than most of the other guys in the draft after 2 years,
And still zero North American experience.

Now let's make believe that doesn't matter.

sattar18

Mar 24, 2007
Jim manages to be a debbie downer on a pick that has been widely acceptable as a great value.

He adds diversity to the backend and while it’s unfortunate he’s 2 years away. He’s playing in the 2nd best league in the world & more importantly it allows them to stagger contracts which will be huge once our bills come due with the forwards group & Luke/Simon.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
It'll be interesting to see how Nikishin does in Carolina - I'm assuming he's coming over this year. We'll see how much adjustment he needs. It's four years out from when they drafted him and he's been lighting up the KHL. Stylistically a little different but if he translates immediately, there's at least one example for you. But again, he wasn't a top 10 pick.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Jim manages to be a debbie downer on a pick that has been widely acceptable as a great value.

He adds diversity to the backend and while it’s unfortunate he’s 2 years away. He’s playing in the 2nd best league in the world & more importantly it allows them to stagger contracts which will be huge once our bills come due with the forwards group & Luke/Simon.

He’d be raving about it if they was a Lou pick

It'll be interesting to see how Nikishin does in Carolina - I'm assuming he's coming over this year. We'll see how much adjustment he needs. It's four years out from when they drafted him and he's been lighting up the KHL. Stylistically a little different but if he translates immediately, there's at least one example for you.

I think Nikishin’s going to jump in a monster. Nikishin’s offense trajectory in the KHL is definitely what I’d look at as the best case for Silayev’s offensive development. Nikishin’s leap was crazy

Reactions: Oneiro

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He’d be raving about it if they was a Lou pick
Lou didn't have too many top 10 picks. So its hard to say...

Early on he did though. His first 3 top 10 picks were 1987,1989 and 1991....only 2 were Hall of Famers. .66% is D at best.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It'll be interesting to see how Nikishin does in Carolina - I'm assuming he's coming over this year. We'll see how much adjustment he needs. It's four years out from when they drafted him and he's been lighting up the KHL. Stylistically a little different but if he translates immediately, there's at least one example for you. But again, he wasn't a top 10 pick.
Or a second....he was a 3rd rounder. And still an unknown commodity.... coming into a much more structured defensive system and defensive organizational philosophy. But it will be interesting to to see the progression.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Eh, picks at 10 don't usually contribute much in their first 2 seasons. From 2014 on, looking at 9-10-11:

2014: Ehlers, Ritchie, Fiala - Ehlers was a 3rd liner in his D+2, the other guys were mostly contributing in the AHL. Ritchie played 33 games and scored 2 goals.

2015: Meier, Rantanen, Crouse - Meier was like Ritchie, AHL contributor, NHL 4th liner, Rantanen played big minutes on a terrible Avs team, Crouse was a 4th liner all season

2016: Sergachev, Jost, L. Brown - Sergachev jumped in as a 3rd pairing D and PP contributor, Jost was a meh 3rd liner, Brown didn't play at all

2017: Rasmussen, Tippett, Vilardi - Rasmussen was a 4th liner, Tippett stayed in the O, Vilardi was hurt

2018: Kravtsov, Bouchard, Wahlstrom - none of these guys contributed, Wahlstrom spent some time on the roster.

2019: Zegras, Podkolzin, Soderstrom - Zegras was too good to leave in the AHL and ended up on a 3rd line, the other two got no time

2020: Rossi, Perfetti, Askarov (Lundell) - Rossi spent the year in the AHL, Perfetti played some in the NHL but was hurt, Askarov is a goalie, Lundell was immediately a contributor

2021: Guenther, Boucher, Sillinger - Guenther made the Coyotes but was sent back in ~January, Boucher did not contribute, Sillinger went right into the NHL and had a solid D+1 and a poor D+2.

2022: Savoie, Mintyukov, Geekie - Mintyukov was outstanding, the other two have not made the NHL.

So yeah, of the big contributors here, you've basically got Rantanen, Sergachev, Lundell, and Mintyukov, with Ehlers, Jost, Sillinger, Zegras also contributing a bit. That's 8 players out of 27.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Or a second....he was a 3rd rounder. And still an unknown commodity.... coming into a much more structured defensive system and defensive organizational philosophy. But it will be interesting to to see the progression.
And... ?

Its a bad scouting when Faber and Nikishin are drafting in the second and third rounds. Everything were there. Even if we will pencil out their offense.

Not the closest comparison but very close.
From how you are telling NOW you would be upset with Sanderson in 2020.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And... ?

Its a bad scouting when Faber and Nikishin are drafting in the second and third rounds. Everything were there.

Not the closest comparison but very close.
From how you are telling NOW you would be upset with Sanderson in 2020.
Absolutely not. There is a premium for more NHL ready players. 4 years away should be taken later.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
1719669446565.png
Classic

sattar18

Mar 24, 2007
Eh, picks at 10 don't usually contribute much in their first 2 seasons. From 2014 on, looking at 9-10-11:

2014: Ehlers, Ritchie, Fiala - Ehlers was a 3rd liner in his D+2, the other guys were mostly contributing in the AHL. Ritchie played 33 games and scored 2 goals.

2015: Meier, Rantanen, Crouse - Meier was like Ritchie, AHL contributor, NHL 4th liner, Rantanen played big minutes on a terrible Avs team, Crouse was a 4th liner all season

2016: Sergachev, Jost, L. Brown - Sergachev jumped in as a 3rd pairing D and PP contributor, Jost was a meh 3rd liner, Brown didn't play at all

2017: Rasmussen, Tippett, Vilardi - Rasmussen was a 4th liner, Tippett stayed in the O, Vilardi was hurt

2018: Kravtsov, Bouchard, Wahlstrom - none of these guys contributed, Wahlstrom spent some time on the roster.

2019: Zegras, Podkolzin, Soderstrom - Zegras was too good to leave in the AHL and ended up on a 3rd line, the other two got no time

2020: Rossi, Perfetti, Askarov (Lundell) - Rossi spent the year in the AHL, Perfetti played some in the NHL but was hurt, Askarov is a goalie, Lundell was immediately a contributor

2021: Guenther, Boucher, Sillinger - Guenther made the Coyotes but was sent back in ~January, Boucher did not contribute, Sillinger went right into the NHL and had a solid D+1 and a poor D+2.

2022: Savoie, Mintyukov, Geekie - Mintyukov was outstanding, the other two have not made the NHL.

So yeah, of the big contributors here, you've basically got Rantanen, Sergachev, Lundell, and Mintyukov, with Ehlers, Jost, Sillinger, Zegras also contributing a bit. That's 8 players out of 27.

Fully agreed - moreso on the fact he’ll be abroad for those two years as opposed to contributing.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Some weird nonsensical and contradictory takes by the usual suspects. Silayev is a potential unicorn. Devils scouts clearly had him higher than others that’s why we took him. Don’t understand the handwringing over not taking Buium. He’s not a can’t miss prospect. He’s got to get stronger and also clean up his defensive work a bit still even though the offensive skills show potential elite level production. And to be frank, he’s slightly if not more redundant in short term if we expect Hughes, Nemec, Casey to be who we think.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad