GDT: 2024 Rookie Tournament

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
If a guy had a really, really good slapshot, but every time the puck came near him - no matter where he was on the ice or what was happening in the game - he wound up for a slapshot, would you say he's still learning how to use his shot, or would you start think maybe he's an idiot?
He's been 18 for 5 days, of course he's an idiot. He's a teenager. Are you expecting a teenage defenseman to be even close to NHL ready? He'd have been a top 3 pick if he was.

Reactions: bert and OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
If a guy had a really, really good slapshot, but every time the puck came near him - no matter where he was on the ice or what was happening in the game - he wound up for a slapshot, would you say he's still learning how to use his shot, or would you start think maybe he's an idiot?
I legit played with a guy like this in men's league, except it wasn't an amazing slapshot. Still the oddest player I have ever consistently taken the ice with.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
He's been 18 for 5 days, of course he's an idiot. He's a teenager. Are you expecting a teenage defenseman to be even close to NHL ready? He'd have been a top 3 pick if he was.

I get that he's young and I get that he's raw. I wasn't expecting him to look ready even for this level.

But what I wasn't prepared for was just how out of control he plays. This is not a guy who's occasionally crossing the line, or who's succumbing to youthful emotion - every single shift he's deserving of a penalty for doing something entirely of his choosing. At a certain point it's just dumb, or selfish, or both.

I like meanness, but right now he shows zero sense of how and when to use it.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This doesn't resemble our prospect team, in the slightest.

Our D is close, but the F are way off.

Seeing Halliday play well is big, and letting our pure rookies taste prospect games is good. Winning or losing doesn't mean a thing.
Actually things look about as you’d hope/expect.
Yakemchuk, halliday, andonovski, played pretty well. Eliasson looks inexperienced/immature, Boucher looked careful, dono, nordberg, daoust, ellinas all looked ok-good.

Just not a lot of skill there. More strength and experience needed.

Reactions: OD99

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
It was a much better game, overall. Halliday was the standout, and I thought Yakemchuk had some really promising moments.

Now that he's no longer a focus of as much attention, it's remarkable how Boucher just fades into the background of a game. Through two games I wouldn't say he's been good or bad. He's more just present, with brief flashes that remind you that he has the tools to do so much more. The question remains, why doesn't he?

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I saw jack squat from Boucher these last two games. The impression I get is that he has solid physical tools but zero IQ. He watches the play, standing still instead of anticipating things. He ends up not being where he needs to be, and the play dies. He's not skilled enough to make things happen on his own either. I don't see him producing any offense in the future. Very disappointing.

Reactions: Cosmix and gab6511

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I saw jack squat from Boucher these last two games. The impression I get is that he has solid physical tools but zero IQ. He watches the play, standing still instead of anticipating things. He ends up not being where he needs to be, and the play dies. He's not skilled enough to make things happen on his own either. I don't see him producing any offense in the future. Very disappointing.
Agree, but he's barely played any hockey, so i'm holding off serious evaluations until the end of this year. If he can play a full healthy year in belleville and get .5pts/game then that would be a good restart. He's still young and has lots of development time ahead.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
BUT
You can’t teach size.

-Ex Ottawa senator scout
;)
I remember Islanders fans saying the same thing about a certain Zdeno Chara in his first training camp back in 1997 he turn out pretty good ;) it take a lot longer for tall defenseman to develop he's still very young and very raw.

I don't see him producing any offense in the future. Very disappointing.
That always make me laugh when fans say that like they have the ability to predict the future :laugh:

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I didn't watch the game. So don't know how bad he was.

But if you have a 6 ft 7 guy who is too aggressive in dishing out pain at 17, it is a lot better than a 6 ft 7 guy who has to be encouraged to be more physical.

Like you really can't teach meanness.

Long term project that probably won't work out but whatever.

Hopefully we get an Andy Sutton, one of my fave low key Senators.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I didn't watch the game. So don't know how bad he was.

But if you have a 6 ft 7 guy who is too aggressive in dishing out pain at 17, it is a lot better than a 6 ft 7 guy who has to be encouraged to be more physical.

Like you really can't teach meanness.

Long term project that probably won't work out but whatever.

Hopefully we get an Andy Sutton, one of my fave low key Senators.
So, “you think you’re an expert guy”, that was great, who was the interviewer, was it Versage.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Unless I am mistaken, I am pretty sure the purpose of the rookie tournament is a lot different than what some on here seem to think it is. From what I understand, the purpose of this tournament is to prepare prospects for main camp and evaluate a handful of invites as to whether they should be given consideration to attend main camp.

I would assume with that, that there is a much heavier emphasis on systems play. It has a lot more to do with subtle details than big flashy moments. The reasoning behind that would be that when main camp starts there will be a very strict adherence to systems play with players who cannot make the necessary adjustments being weeded out quickly.

I think it is an important detail to mention because there can be a big trade off between adherence to systems play and generating dynamic flashy individual offensive moments. Some of the decisions that could lead to bigger offensive moments might in fact demonstrate either a lack of comprehension of systems play and role assignments or a lack of willingness to either listen to the coaches or lack of recognition as to how they are actually being evaluated.

I just think some of that stuff might go under the radar on here. It is preparation for main camp.

If my evaluation is accurate than some of the things that might impress people on here might actually reflect poorly on the players by the people coaching and evaluating them.

Just like someone else mentioned on here, Tarun Fizer, had a strong offensive showing in the rookie tournament last year and there were a number of people on here convinced that he was going to get an ELC and that he had demonstrated significant NHL potential. He did get an invite to main camp but he only earned an AHL deal. Part of the reason behind that could have possibly been that he didn't demonstrate enough in systems play or role assignments.

Food for thought for anyone interested.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Speaking of rookie tournaments, what happened to Tarun Fizer?
Couldn't really hang in the AHL. Had 5 points in 30 games.

He's signed an AHL deal with Springfield but I'd imagine he'll spend most of his time in the ECHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad