GDT: 2024 Rookie Tournament

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Interested to see if we bounce back.
I think id be more worried if the main camp roster played like they did yesterday. Hope it was a wakeup call for those young hungry players

With no leevi I wonder if they can bring nikitin in. No idea why he wasn't they're to begin with

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Not surprising at all. Our scouts value things that are peripheral to actual hockey success (fighting, toughness, etc.) and devalue the things that make successful players at the NHL level (smarts, skill and poise).
Why are they still Ottawa Senator scouts?

Staios is the GM and the buck stops there as far as scouts are concerned.

Kleven 6'4 mobile mean top 4 rock. What literally every team would do anything to get. While you get skill wingers for nothing anytime you want. Nhl players outside of the 2nd round are great picks. It's simple math.

Again in my very own post I said I want them to change the drafting philosophy and hire more scouts. But i am also capable of actually evaluating everything that's happened not bitch and complain about everything.
I think it is too early to say that about Kleven; he might become a rock; he might become a 2nd pairing D; but he has not been identified by anyone I've heard as a top 4 rock.

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The same thing was said about Mark Stone Lol
Yak will be just fine he's needs to improve on somethings that's all
I mean, same stuff was said about a lot of prospects. Same way loads of big defensive players get compared to Chara. “Chara was a bottom pair guy in the CHL with limited offense, xxx will be fine”. One guy overcoming a flawed trait doesn’t equate to another. It can happen, of course, but history lies on the side of that being an extremely, extremely unlikely outcome.

If we can transplant Stone’s brain into Yak we are cooking. Stones skating is still extremely bad, he makes up for it by being the smartest player on the ice by a sizeable margin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
There is this weird old-school mentality (by far not exclusive to our scouting team) that they can outsmart the other teams by going for "toughness". When the reality is that the game still basically comes down to goals for and against. A player is either good at generating offense or stifling the other team's offense, or ideally both, in order to be effective.

Toughness means nothing in, and of, itself. You can have a tough player who uses that abrasiveness to push offensive play (eg. Brady Tkachuk) or a tough player who uses that toughness to prevent goals; these are good players but not all that common. For the most part players impact the game by being smart, positionally sound and being able to move the puck quickly and effectively. The best defensive defensemen in the league are all about angles, reading plays and eliminating options for offensive players (Slavvin, Tanev, Zub, Pietrangelo, etc.). These guys aren't crosschecking in their own crease or getting in fights.

Our scouts, more and more, don't seem to understand these concepts.

I agree with your second paragraph. Tough physical players must be able to play the game without being a liability when on the ice.

Stutzlaaaa

Dec 18, 2021
Let's not forget that others teams have good prospects too . We have one of the worst if not the worst prospect pool so getting frustrated over this rookie game or even tournament at whole doesn't make sense. Our pool lack high end talent , or quality talent that has decent chance of making NHL since 2020 like others mentioned. Lot of it comes from poor asset management ( Ty Dorion) and a poor vision or expertise in our scouting department. Yak is the only guy right now that may have an impact in the NHL. And use may cause from the start team knew he was raw and had lot to learn ,so yes it will take a lot of season of learning for him to be useful for this team. I don't see his skating as a major issue , where am concerned is more his hockey IQ ( defensively) cause even if you're were 6'9 it useless if u don't how/when to use it. Defense is the position where speed doesn't matter that much but hockey highly. A lot defenseman prove this on daily basis in the NHL and we have one in Zub.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
No they don't. Lots of teams draft small skill that amounts to absolutely nothing. These are types of players you win with. Pinto was an absolute steal. Look at that draft. He's trending like a top 10 pick.

How negative you guys have been all summer mostly. Before they play a game. Then they play a rookie tournament game and you think your negativity is justified classic internet stuff.
I'm on record saying the team will make the playoffs. How is that negative?

Our prospect pool is not good though. I don't think anybody with an ounce of objectivity can say otherwise.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Staios is the GM and the buck stops there as far as scouts are concerned.

Tkahcuk
Batherson
Pinto
Sanderson
Chabot
Greig
Stutzle
Kleven
Ostpachuk

Like c’mon, that’s the resume of our scouts and that’s a damn good resume.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Let's not forget that others teams have good prospects too . We have one of the worst if not the worst prospect pool so getting frustrated over this rookie game or even tournament at whole doesn't make sense. Our pool lack high end talent , or quality talent that has decent chance of making NHL since 2020 like others mentioned. Lot of it comes from poor asset management ( Ty Dorion) and a poor vision or expertise in our scouting department. Yak is the only guy right now that may have an impact in the NHL. And use may cause from the start team knew he was raw and had lot to learn ,so yes it will take a lot of season of learning for him to be useful for this team. I don't see his skating as a major issue , where am concerned is more his hockey IQ ( defensively) cause even if you're were 6'9 it useless if u don't how/when to use it. Defense is the position where speed doesn't matter that much but hockey highly. A lot defenseman prove this on daily basis in the NHL and we have one in Zub.

Zub is a solid 4 way skater though, always in control. He won't be leading rushes but he never really gets out skated either.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
All the same for the last 20 years of drafting. All NHL teams at some point favoured size before skills and hockey IQ, they all failed miserably. I do not understand why we travel this rout every tear? Drafting only for needs and size.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Tkahcuk
Sanderson
Stutzle
Those three are drafted by all the scouts in the league.
Chabot, PInto, Batherson are just league average.
Kleven
Ostpachuk
Not even NHL players yet.
Greig is just not good enough.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Pretty much nothing at all going on in this game. Really choppy, sloppy play on both sides.

0-0, shots 6-5 Pens after the first.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Tkahcuk
Batherson
Pinto
Sanderson
Chabot
Greig
Stutzle
Kleven
Ostpachuk

Like c’mon, that’s the resume of our scouts and that’s a damn good resume.
Other teams also draft good players. If you’re gonna brag about our scouts they have to be at the top of the field.

Chabot was a long time ago.
Ostapchuk currently looks OK. Grabbing Ok players in the second round is totally fine. But it’s not “great”

I mean in that same time frame we identified three first rounders that could barely keep up in the NHL lol. Two of which are already out of the league. Not sure where Logan brown is

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Looked like some better positional play than 1st game .... so far anyway

We're a chippy team though. Lots of after the whistle hacks and complimentary fackkkk youus

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Not a lot of positives, but Halliday is definitely looking good. It would be nice to see Boucher get a chance on his wing. Right now, Halliday has nobody to play with it.

Yakemchuk has been around the play but largely quiet offensively. I thought he had a good period in his own zone, though. He makes a nice first pass.

Reactions: DrEasy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Other teams also draft good players. If you’re gonna brag about our scouts they have to be at the top of the field.

Chabot was a long time ago.
Ostapchuk currently looks OK. Grabbing Ok players in the second round is totally fine. But it’s not “great”

I mean in that same time frame we identified three first rounders that could barely keep up in the NHL lol. Two of which are already out of the league. Not sure where Logan brown is

I think you’re used to Dorion coming in after every draft and promising the world the players were top notch best in class turn your franchise around never better, FYUCKU.

Staois isn’t promising the prospects are going to save the franchise, make you happy to drown your money and just you wait it’s never been done better. Staois is like “yep, these guys have a long Way to go “ because he’s also said that about our pro team.

Lower expectations are better, more se so able and good for the franchise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad