GDT: 2024 Rookie Tournament

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Question to the experts here: What is it about Yak's skating that is holding him back? Pure mechanics issue? Lack of strength? Or is he simply a big body who won't ever move fast?

And most important....is it fixable?
A substantial part of his problem is just general fitness. There was a lot of talk about how poorly he tested at the combine, and he was particularly weak in the lower body exercises. Way below average results. He tested very poorly in the on-ice drills at the CHL top prospects game too.

There's a lot of questions about how much natural athleticism this guy actually has.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If I were an amateur scout for the Sens I'd probably be freshening up my resume right about now.
Why? They are probably delivering exactly what management wanted from them

Yakemchuk gets an assist on that goal, but man he looks rough. Brutal feet. Had a huge turnover on a bad drop pass just before the PP goal as well.
I thought I VP said his skating was Elite.
It's obviously just one game, but if our prospects disappoint this year, Andlauer better not be hesitant to fire scouts. "Best in class" should include drafting.
Patience, he's putting in place the process to determine the paradigm for synergetic decision-making.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It’s been atrocious drafting since the rebuild. Slam dunks with picks 4 3 and 5. Everything else. Really really not special.
Pinto was a pretty amazing pick. Ostapchuk, Greig and Kleven all really good picks.

They have burnt some draft capital for sure but no team hits on every pick.

Plenty to complain about but if you could try to be a little bit accurate when you do it your opinion will carry more weight.

I would like them to augment the philosophy as I think it's gone over board. Some new hires would go a long way. But I'm not going to completely ignore the good picks they have had either.

I think Donovan ends up being a steal of a pick too.

A substantial part of his problem is just general fitness. There was a lot of talk about how poorly he tested at the combine, and he was particularly weak in the lower body exercises. Way below average results. He tested very poorly in the on-ice drills at the CHL top prospects game too.

There's a lot of questions about how much natural athleticism this guy actually has.
How many games have you watched him?

The overreactions in this thread over a rookie game where the sens had a worse Jr level team which had half guys that will never play pro hockey in one game where no one has ever played with one another before is comical.

Last edited:

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Disappointing outcome.

Having Leevi Merilainen get injured prior to the first rookie tournament game probably had a more consequential impact than some might have thought. This is a very young prospect group and a lot of these players (whether drafted or camp invites) were taking part in their first rookie tournament and needed to get some of the jitters out of the way. Even some of the more experienced prospects here such as Boucher, Daoust and Toure are playing their first game since recovering from injuries and having a long lay off.

Michael Simpson tried his best but even he had jitters he needed to work through. He wasn't able to provide the more calming presence that Merilainen likely would have been able to, which would have allowed for the early game defensive breakdowns to not end up in the back of the net. It didn't take long before the team was down a couple of goals and then they were chasing the game. This only added to the jitters of the inexperienced players and of Simpson.

The team really struggled to generate any momentum and the breakdowns kept costing them with goals against. I thought the players started to relax a bit after David Egorov was brought in to replace Simpson but at that point they had already lost the game.

For a rough game I still saw some positives on an individual level.

Lucas Ellinas looked very effective on the penalty kill and made some strong defensive reads. He also pinned the puck along the boards in the offensive zone and was able to keep in there while 4 devils prospects tried to get it away from him. He looked pretty good overall from what I recall.

Tyler Boucher has improved his skating, seems to be better positionally and comes across as more poised.

Carter Yakemchuk had some impressive moments on the power play.

Gabriel Eliasson has good mobility and was consistently very aggressive. He has more of an agitating and intimidating presence.

Djibril Toure is very mobile and has some flashes of offense to his game.

Camp invite, Ryder Boulton, actually has some good speed and has some of the makings of a super pest.

Camp invite, Landen Ward, had smart positional play, was defensively minded and made some smart passes and chip in plays with the puck.

Hopefully in tomorrows game we see the team work together collectively instead of individually, and that they got their nerves out of the way. Disappointing result but now they got two more games to demonstrate that they can learn from the mistakes made here. Let's see what they can do.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
It's just strange to me, out of all our top players, Brady is really the only one that can be described as "tough". Stutzle, Batherson, Norris, Pinto, Sanderson, Chabot, are all players with good-great skating(well maybe not Batherson). high hockey IQ, nice skill etc. Yet our scouts seem to think toughness/being hard to play against is our main identity and what we should aim for.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
It's just strange to me, out of all our top players, Brady is really the only one that can be described as "tough". Stutzle, Batherson, Norris, Pinto, Sanderson, Chabot, are all players with good-great skating(well maybe not Batherson). high hockey IQ, nice skill etc. Yet our scouts seem to think toughness/being hard to play against is our main identity and what we should aim for.

There is this weird old-school mentality (by far not exclusive to our scouting team) that they can outsmart the other teams by going for "toughness". When the reality is that the game still basically comes down to goals for and against. A player is either good at generating offense or stifling the other team's offense, or ideally both, in order to be effective.

Toughness means nothing in, and of, itself. You can have a tough player who uses that abrasiveness to push offensive play (eg. Brady Tkachuk) or a tough player who uses that toughness to prevent goals; these are good players but not all that common. For the most part players impact the game by being smart, positionally sound and being able to move the puck quickly and effectively. The best defensive defensemen in the league are all about angles, reading plays and eliminating options for offensive players (Slavvin, Tanev, Zub, Pietrangelo, etc.). These guys aren't crosschecking in their own crease or getting in fights.

Our scouts, more and more, don't seem to understand these concepts.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Pinto was a pretty amazing pick. Ostapchuk, Greig and Kleven all really good picks.

Plenty to complain about but if you could try to be a little bit accurate when you do it your opinion will carry more weight.

I would like them to augment the philosophy as I think it's gone over board. Some new hires would go a long way. But I'm not going to completely ignore the good picks they have had either.

The overreactions in this thread over a rookie game where the sens had a worse Jr level team which had half guys that will never play pro hockey in one game where no one has ever played with one another before is comical.

I agree on Pinto and Greig. Ostapchuk and Kleven are firmly in the "remains to be seen for sure" category. And let's not forget that Kleven was A) the cost of basically two 2nd rounders and B) picked one spot ahead of Brock Faber.

Neither look like bad picks, they just look like good picks compared to a lot of the crap we've unfortunately picked in the last few years.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
I expected us to get walked by NJ. We literally have no decent prospects, especially compared to theirs.
I don't know about that, really. On paper New Jersey probably have the weakest group of the three teams the Sens will play in this tournament.

The Penguins team they play tomorrow has McGroarty, Koivunen, Ponomarev, Pickering, Broz, Brunicke, Murashov. Then lots of really productive invites like Atley Calvert [95 points in 68 WHL games], Gabe Klassen [106 points in 67 WHL games], Jack Beck [85 points in 67 OHL games], Beau Jelsma [81 points in 67 OHL games]. They dominated the Bruins prospects today.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Sure but these guys were several tiers below NJ guys.

How does that happen? The difference level in skill and hockey sense was wild.
It was not that bad, you make sound worst then it was. And if the Sens today would have won the game 8-0 you would have said that it was only one game and that the other team didn't show up and that let's not get all excited. The rookie tournament doesn't mean shit, I don't even remember the one last year or the season before and the big scheme of things this tournament doesn't much.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I don't know about that, really. On paper New Jersey probably have the weakest group of the three teams the Sens will play in this tournament.

The Penguins team they play tomorrow has McGroarty, Koivunen, Ponomarev, Pickering, Broz, Brunicke, Murashov. Then lots of really productive invites like Atley Calvert [95 points in 68 WHL games], Gabe Klassen [106 points in 67 WHL games], Jack Beck [85 points in 67 OHL games], Beau Jelsma [81 points in 67 OHL games]. They dominated the Bruins prospects today.

It'll be interesting to see how we do against a team like that.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Question to the experts here: What is it about Yak's skating that is holding him back? Pure mechanics issue? Lack of strength? Or is he simply a big body who won't ever move fast?

And most important....is it fixable?
The same thing was said about Mark Stone Lol
Yak will be just fine he's needs to improve on somethings that's all

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
It was not that bad, you make sound worst then it was. And if the Sens today would have won the game 8-0 you would have said that it was only one game and that the other team didn't show up and that let's not get all excited. The rookie tournament doesn't mean shit, I don't even remember the one last year or the season before and the big scheme of things this tournament doesn't much.

I mean, these games don't mean much but Dave Bell our coach specifically said that he didn't want us to be a doormat. We were a doormat today. Not a good outcome.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I'm pretty sure if we beat them will not give them any credit and you will say they won because the other team didn't play well so the Sens prospects can't do anything right, damn if they do and damn if they don't.

This is idiotic. What are you basing that comment on?

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
It'll be interesting to see how we do against a team like that.
Well they should be pretty motivated.

Of course, it's not like they played bad today. They just didn't get the bounces in this particular 9-1 loss. Could have gone either way, really.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Every team has Greig ostapchuk and kleven. Remains to be seen if they’re “REALLY good picks”.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Every team has Greig ostapchuk and kleven. Remains to be seen if they’re “REALLY good picks”.
No they don't. Lots of teams draft small skill that amounts to absolutely nothing. These are types of players you win with. Pinto was an absolute steal. Look at that draft. He's trending like a top 10 pick.

This is idiotic. What are you basing that comment on?
How negative you guys have been all summer mostly. Before they play a game. Then they play a rookie tournament game and you think your negativity is justified classic internet stuff.

Reactions: Masked

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think there only reasonable outcome to this game is the entire Sens amateur staff commits Hari-Kari at the top of Chaudiete falls and their bodies drop into the Ottawa and swept down stream to Montreal and hopefully, somehow, cause a traffic jam in the Bell center parking lot

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I dont remember the rookie tournament. But I certainly remember the last 6 years of sens hockey. And it’s not like THAT was any good

No they don't. Lots of teams draft small skill that amounts to absolutely nothing. These are types of players you win with. Pinto was an absolute steal. Look at that draft. He's trending like a top 10 pick.

How negative you guys have been all summer mostly. Before they play a game. Then they play a rookie tournament game and you think your negativity is justified classic internet stuff.
Pinto was good.
Man we don’t have some monopoly on drafting big players lol.
Kleven might be a solid bottom pairing guy. Ostapchuk might be a solid bottom six guy.
These are not unreal picks. Other teams also have prospects that might be good bottom six guys. And might be solid bottom pair guys.

Yah and then when a player is bad in the nhl people will still say told ya so.

That’s sports. And when a play others loved turns out to be a dud they won’t say anything lol. They’ll pretend to forget it and not mention it again. What’s the difference

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I dont remember the rookie tournament. But I certainly remember the last 6 years of sens hockey. And it’s not like THAT was any good

Pinto was good.
Man we don’t have some monopoly on drafting big players lol.
Kleven might be a solid bottom pairing guy. Ostapchuk might be a solid bottom six guy.
These are not unreal picks. Other teams also have prospects that might be good bottom six guys. And might be solid bottom pair guys.

Yah and then when a player is bad in the nhl people will still say told ya so.

That’s sports. And when a play others loved turns out to be a dud they won’t say anything lol. They’ll pretend to forget it and not mention it again. What’s the difference
Kleven 6'4 mobile mean top 4 rock. What literally every team would do anything to get. While you get skill wingers for nothing anytime you want. Nhl players outside of the 2nd round are great picks. It's simple math.

Again in my very own post I said I want them to change the drafting philosophy and hire more scouts. But i am also capable of actually evaluating everything that's happened not bitch and complain about everything.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Kleven 6'4 mobile mean top 4 rock. What literally every team would do anything to get. While you get skill wingers for nothing anytime you want. Nhl players outside of the 2nd round are great picks. It's simple math.

Again in my very own post I said I want them to change the drafting philosophy and hire more scouts. But i am also capable of actually evaluating everything that's happened not bitch and complain about everything.
Kleven is a top 4 rock? Or remains to be seen if he’s that? If he’s a top 4 rock then yeah great pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad