Patriots/NFL 2024 Regular Season

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The OLine can/does suck but if we're being honest the play Maye got hurt on is not something to blame on the Patriots as a whole. One of his strengths is mobility/running. It wasn't like the OL let a guy in on him clean and he got destroyed. He had the first down on a scramble and needs to avoid contact there.

Doesn't happen often but we agree!
Ah, but why was he scrambling??? It sure didn't look like a set play where the QB runs the ball.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Ah, but why was he scrambling??? It sure didn't look like a set play where the QB runs the ball.
A QB having to scramble happens in every game with every team. I am more than willing to dump on the OL but this play is not their fault. I want Drake Maye to use his legs and pick up first downs when it's there. He did that. Just needs to be better of getting down quicker.

You can't use your helmet in any situation, runner or tackler.

I suppose there is some gray area. From watching the play unfold I didn't think it was egregious from defender but end result is obviously terrible.

"These provisions do not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or the helmet in the course of a conventional tackle or block on an opponent."

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I could be wrong but I thought there was no helmet to helmet penalty on a QB running like that. Not like in college where they have a targeting rule. Something about being a runner compared to defenseless.
QBs running lose the rules protecting them while they are in the pocket. They're treated the same as any other runner with the football. That said, you still can't hit a player in the head with forcible contact.

Whether its a penalty or not depends on if the ref thinks it was forcible contact. Pats fans definitely think so. Personally, I'm not so sure. If that was a RB or WR with the football, I don't think that penalty gets called. If so, then it also shouldn't for a QB either.

Last edited:

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I mean this is as disingenuous as a post as you will see. This happened on like a 15 yard run by Maye where he could have gotten down and avoided contact.
It's all the same. The line can't hold a pocket to save their lives so Maye runs for his life. The receivers can't get open and when they do they drop the ball. No one to throw to so he has make plays with his legs. It's all the same IMO. It was only a matter of time. He got his knee rolled up a week ago.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
It's all the same. The line can't hold a pocket to save their lives so Maye runs for his life. The receivers can't get open and when they do they drop the ball. It's all the same IMO. It was only a matter of time. He got his knee rolled up a week ago.
Dude it's not the same at all. Drake Maye using his legs to pick up a first down is one of his strengths and something I want to see even if they had the best OL in football.

Reactions: BernieMcAvoy

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
coached by eunuchs

Offensive line has surprisingly been fine today, the problem is the asshole officials not calling that

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Dude it's not the same at all. Drake Maye using his legs to pick up a first down is one of his strengths and something I want to see even if they had the best OL in football.
He's been put in a terrible position. They have 3rd string offensive linemen out there and barely practice squad level receivers. It was only a matter of time before this happened. It's irrelevant whether he got hurt scrambling for a first down or sitting in the pocket, the bottom line is the offense is beyond inept and can only move the ball when Maye was running today.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
QBs running lose the rules protecting them while they are in the pocket. They're treated the same as any other runner with the football. That said, you still can't hit a player in the head with forcible contact.

Whether its a penalty or not depends on if the ref thinks it was forcible contact. Pats fans definitely think so. Personally, I'm not so sure.
It didn't look egregious to me so I understand not throwing a flag. League could come in after fact and fine guy I guess. Flag or not Maye still knocked out of game and another L with Brissett in there.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
coached by eunuchs

Offensive line has surprisingly been fine today, the problem is the asshole officials not calling that
Fine, he was scrambling because the receivers are atrocious and cant get open or catch

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
He can't play in this game unless Brissett gets injured as he is the emergency 3rd string QB
Stomach bug. IDGAF, it cannot continue with him. He literally cannot throw the ball. Jets could play 8 on the line and have single coverage on every WR and still force incompletes.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
He's been put in a terrible position. They have 3rd string offensive linemen out there and barely practice squad level receivers. It was only a matter of time before this happened. It's irrelevant whether he got hurt scrambling for a first down or sitting in the pocket, the bottom line is the offense is beyond inept and can only move the ball when Maye was running today.
How is the manner he got hurt irrelevant? He contributed to it more than OL. You're forcing your agenda.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Stomach bug. IDGAF, it cannot continue with him. He literally cannot throw the ball. Jets could play 8 on the line and have single coverage on every WR and still force incompletes.
I feel the same way watching Brissett and not trying to do anything at the end of the half with timeouts was just gutless play calling

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
There's nothing bad about that hit it was just a bad coincidence. The Jet was going for a tackle to the gut and Maye started his slide at the worst possible moment causing the hit to be in the helmet.

Reactions: RoccoF14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad