Patriots/NFL 2024 Regular Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I still think if they had identified someone as a top tier offensive coaching prospect and offered them the chance to be a head coach they could’ve gotten them to come here. I just think it would’ve cost the Kraft’s money so they didn’t want to do it. Some of the best offensive coaches in the league were hired when their teams were in similar situations as the Patriots are now.

Shanahan took the 49ers job coming off them going 2-14 with the 3rd overall pick and Jeremy Kerley (who?) as their #1 WR.

McVay took the Rams job coming off them going 4-12 and they didn’t even have their 1st round pick in the draft for the upcoming year. Kenny Britt was their #1 WR when he was hired.

Even hiring Vrabel and then a younger offensive coach to be OC would’ve been better. Instead we have an inexperienced Mayo and a journeyman in Alex Van Pelt in charge of developing Maye.

The 49ers in the 3 season prior to that 2-14 were 25-23 & had made it to the NFC Championship game. The Patriots over the last 3 seasons were 22-29 and got destroyed in a Wild Card game.

McVay came in and at least had a playmaker in Todd Gurley in the mix. They also had Geoff already in the fold as they had spent a #1OA pick on him the year before.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
The 49ers in the 3 season prior to that 2-14 were 25-23 & had made it to the NFC Championship game. The Patriots over the last 3 seasons were 22-29 and got destroyed in a Wild Card game.

McVay came in and at least had a playmaker in Todd Gurley in the mix. They also had Geoff already in the fold as they had spent a #1OA pick on him the year before.
That 49ers record is carried by the 2013 season with Harbaugh and a different roster. They were 15-33 in the 3 seasons before Shanahan was hired.

I would say having the chance to coach Goff and Maye is pretty comparable.

The point is that the Krafts never even tried to bring in a better option because they stupidly put a $10 million buyout in Mayo’s contract and are too cheap to pay it.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
That 49ers record is carried by the 2013 season with Harbaugh and a different roster. They were 15-33 in the 3 seasons before Shanahan was hired.

I would say having the chance to coach Goff and Maye is pretty comparable.

The point is that the Krafts never even tried to bring in a better option because they stupidly put a $10 million buyout in Mayo’s contract and are too cheap to pay it.

What better option was out there that you wanted? What if Mayo is the right guy for the job? You're talking about a guy who was not only part of the winning culture, but was a leader within that winning culture. He was a defensive captain in 7 of his 8 seasons and the lone year he wasn't.....he was a rookie.

Not for nothing Van Pelt isn't a terrible offensive guy. Cleveland in his 4 year as OC ranked in points 14th, 20th, 18th & 10th. The 4 years prior they were 22nd, 20th, 32nd & 31st. He worked with Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. Josh Freeman had probably his best season as a QB when AVP was the QB coach for the Bucs.

Again I don't think NE would have been a very enticing opportunity for someone trying to get experience as a HC.

Reactions: rfournier103

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

He's a better QB than Joe Milton but uPSiDE

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back on practice squad (I saw legend Matt Corral was released yesterday)

In the end my only justification for keeping Zappe was IF you didn't think Maye was ready to play. Now if Brissett stinks or gets hurt it's clearly Maye time. As I said before I shrug my shoulders at Zappe being waived. It has no impact on anything.

Reactions: bbfan419

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
He's a better QB than Joe Milton but uPSiDE

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back on practice squad (I saw legend Matt Corral was released yesterday)

In the end my only justification for keeping Zappe was IF you didn't think Maye was ready to play. Now if Brissett stinks or gets hurt it's clearly Maye time. As I said before I shrug my shoulders at Zappe being waived. It has no impact on anything.
From what I have seen in the pre season, Milton is a way better athlete vs Zappe, has a better arm, can run much faster.
All he needs is experience ( more practise time).
I would much rather have him as our 3rd string QB vs Zappe and groom him to be the number one backup next year.
It won't hurt us to keep Zappe on the practise roster.

Reactions: HustleB

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
From what I have seen in the pre season, Milton is a way better athlete vs Zappe, has a better arm, can run much faster.
All he needs is experience ( more practise time).
I would much rather have him as our 3rd string QB vs Zappe and groom him to be the number one backup next year.
It won't hurt us to keep Zappe on the practise roster.
All Joe Milton needs to be is more accurate. The problem is that's always been his problem. It's not gonna get much better. But it doesn't really matter because if Zappe/Milton play the season is toast anyway. All about Drake now.

Waived, huh?

No trades? No picks?
Interesting
Why is it interesting? Who said they would get a draft pick for Zappe?

I hope Jacksonville signs Zappe as QB3

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
All Joe Milton needs to be is more accurate. The problem is that's always been his problem. It's not gonna get much better. But it doesn't really matter because if Zappe/Milton play the season is toast anyway. All about Drake now.

Why is it interesting? Who said they would get a draft pick for Zappe?

I hope Jacksonville signs Zappe as QB3
I agree with you.
We will be lucky to win 4 games this year, get some high picks next year, rebuild the O line and get a number one WR via free agency.
May take us 2-3 more years to get back to a 8-9 or 9-8 season.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
He was waived last year and no one picked him up. So you shouldn't be surprised that they wouldn't get anything and waived him again this year.
I'm not surprised.

I was just saying that because I've heard on here and twitter and sports radio about how he's better than Mac and would get a better return

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I'm not surprised.

I was just saying that because I've heard on here and twitter and sports radio about how he's better than Mac and would get a better return
I can't speak for radio but there was only one person in here that said he was better than Mac. Either way it isn't a surprise or really interesting that he only got waived.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I'm not surprised.

Correction. He was better than unplayable puddle Mac Jones. Not better than "normal" Mac Jones. That's all. A first round QB will always get more chances than undersized, no arm 4th rounder like Zappe.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Not really surprised. Zappe was competing again Milton and didn't really outperform him this pre-season. That's not to say Milton was head and shoulders better, but he was as good as Zappe.

1724770611022.png

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Anyone notice any interesting OL cuts yet. I really want at least one starter to be pulled off the heap and I’d like another for increased competition amongst the backups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad