GDT: 2024 Regular Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Phillies were willing to write this one off, this game was not important, especially after winning the first 2 games. Realmuto sat on Sunday, he didn’t need to sit again today, but this was the plan. Sunday was also a bullpen game, so they could’ve skipped Walker today if they wanted to.

Phillies already won this series and will have won 5 of 8 going into the Braves series at home, where they set the rotation Sanchez-Suarez-Wheeler-Nola.

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Gem of a game by Spaghetti. Too bad he couldn't get the no no though.

And boy did we need this. It has been a very underwhelming week and a half .

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Next up is a 4 game set against the Royals. They've owned us recently so I'm a little anxious. This whole 18 straight days without a day off part of the schedule , has /will be tough.. Don't have a day off til September 3rd. For some reason there is a day off right in the middle of our series with the Reds. A rare Tuesday off day.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
GWHLFyzWMAEY30Y.png

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Watching White Sox/Rangers game

Surprisingly 3-3 in bot of 8th

Looking at some of the White Sox tonight

Chuckie Robinson
Gus Varland
Justin Anderson

Really scrapping bottom of barrel of MLB talent. Shows how terrible our farm system is we don't have any young talent to play to finish out year

Reactions: PanniniClaus

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
did i miss something? is burnes not an ace anymore?
He most certainly is not.. I've watched his whole season.. He is fooling no one. Fastball is nothing and unless he's painting it.. he's getting killed. he's getting killed on most of his pitches. Doesn't matter what he throws.

Well apparently he wants 8 years...so clearly his camp still thinks he is.
I would pay Soto whatever he wants for as long as he wants.

I wouldn't touch Burnes with a 10 foot pole.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
From that article...and yes the ERA is going up again tonight in LA.
And while Burnes' strikeout rate is down to 8.2 per nine innings this season -- his fourth consecutive year with a lower K rate -- the quality of his stuff continues to rate elite in pitching models and his velocity actually has ticked up. Burnes turns 30 in October, and while he has had an August to forget -- over four starts, his ERA jumped from 2.47 to 3.28 -- teams are far from souring.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
From that article...and yes the ERA is going up again tonight in LA.
I know he was consistent for the early part of the season but rarely dominant. His last 6 starts he has been hit extremely hard and by all types of teams and hitters. Every pitch smoked and he's lucky the damage hasn't been worse with some unearned runs.

The GM that signs him for 8 years will be out of a job quickly.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I know he was consistent for the early part of the season but rarely dominant. His last 6 starts he has been hit extremely hard and by all types of teams and hitters. Every pitch smoked and he's lucky the damage hasn't been worse with some unearned runs.

The GM that signs him for 8 years will be out of a job quickly.
Yup. Burnes entire breakout was predicated on him dumping a traditional four seam fastball for a cutter. The cutter is his bread and butter pitch because for a time, it legitimately had an argument as best single pitch in the game.

His whiff rate has cratered on that pitch. I don't have the stats from tonight but I do know in his last start he threw 42 cutters for a total of 1 whiff. And then a hilarious 0 whiffs on 40 thrown in the start prior to that.

Compare it to 2021 when he won the Cy Young, his whiff% on the cutter was 32.9% In 2024? The cutter is down to an alarming 16% whiff rate. Batting average and slugging are also up.

If Burnes cutter is that bad now, he's done as an impact starter.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Yup. Burnes entire breakout was predicated on him dumping a traditional four seam fastball for a cutter. The cutter is his bread and butter pitch because for a time, it legitimately had an argument as best single pitch in the game.

His whiff rate has cratered on that pitch. I don't have the stats from tonight but I do know in his last start he threw 42 cutters for a total of 1 whiff. And then a hilarious 0 whiffs on 40 thrown in the start prior to that.

Compare it to 2021 when he won the Cy Young, his whiff% on the cutter was 32.9% In 2024? The cutter is down to an alarming 16% whiff rate. Batting average and slugging are also up.

If Burnes cutter is that bad now, he's done as an impact starter.
He is garbage. Orioles need at least 3 starting pitchers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad