Red Sox/MLB 2024 Regular Season IV - Red Sox swept by the Blue Jays today and are now 29-37 at home.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I remember when Andrew Shaw (Blackhawks) used that same slur against a ref in a playoff game….probably 7-8 years ago. People on this board wanted to tar and feather him for that one….

He got a game suspension, and a small fine because the NHL doesn’t give a shit about this stuff. Hopefully MLB takes a firmer stand. It’s unacceptable and it ain’t due to video games…

At least he apologized for it. I hope that was sincere and he learns from it, but in my opinion, a punishment is justified.

Last edited:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
If you can't take light heckling without throwing out a word that will get you suspended maybe you're too soft for Boston.
Well to be fair, fans were telling him to go kill himself after dropping that fly ball, and then he had suicidal thoughts and was in a bad mental space. He battled those demons and is still here.

I wouldn't call him soft.

He should know better not to drop words like that. And especially when you can hear everything on tv these days. He apologized. We move forward.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I remember when Andrew Shaw (Blackhawks) used that same slur against a ref in a playoff game….probably 7-8 years ago. People on this board wanted to tar and feather him for that one….

He got a game suspension, and a small fine because the NHL doesn’t give a shit about this stuff. Hopefully MLB takes a firmer stand. It’s unacceptable and it ain’t due to video games…

At least he apologized for it. I hope that was sincere and he learns from it, but in my opinion, a punishment is justified.
yeah and when someone DM'd AJ Greer and called him that this place went nuts. No place for that. I mean if thats the first thing out of your mouth you have some issues. I could see go **** yourself or whatever but that?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
yeah and when someone DM'd AJ Greer and called him that this place went nuts. No place for that. I mean if thats the first thing out of your mouth you have some issues. I could see go **** yourself or whatever but that?
You and Ali are better person then me but you both know that

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Fenway security need to be fired for letting away fans heckle in premium seats. Someone is assigned to that area. What a shock that half the park was astros fans trying to escape Houston in the summer.

He’ll be suspended. Unless he’s done other stuff we don’t know about it won’t be long.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
You and Ali are better person then me but you both know that
Not true.

Guy is a professional ball player and 28 years old. When your comeback is ****ing ****ot you have some serious issues and should never be tolerated or condoned. He should get the one game, some training and move on. Doesn't mean he's inherently a bad person, but he knows better.

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I’m sure Duran will learn from this

I went to a concert Saturday for my cousin with funds benefiting NAGLY who are a North Shore Alliance for GLBTQ+ youth

The director is a good guy and these kids start as early as kindergarten feeling this way

It’s heartbreaking to see and hear what they endure so when Duran says this it’s sad

But Jarren Duran will not double down he will likely turn it into a positive ~ we shall see

Anger kills - the person who’s angry

Forgive and hope folks

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
If you can't take light heckling without throwing out a word that will get you suspended maybe you're too soft for Boston.
I would just say heckling in general. If all the fan was saying was Duran needed a tennis racquet that doesn't warrant a reaction at all nevermind off the handle using the f word.

Not true. Guy is a professional ball player and 28 years old. When your comeback is ****ing ****ot you have some serious issues and should never be tolerated or condoned. He should get the one game, some training and move on. Doesn't mean he's inherently a bad person, but he knows better.
I can agree with this

The simple fact he uttered it doesn't really need to mean more than he made a terrible mistake. It doesn't automatically make him a terrible person. I suppose my problem here will be the social media warriors who now feel it's their duty to label Duran no matter what happens the rest of his career/life (or what has happened previously). To my knowledge this is the first time hearing anything like this regarding Duran. Sometimes it is possible to just step in it and make a terrible choice/mistake. It should be something he can overcome if he cares to.

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
To keep it in baseball terms, there's John Rocker and then there's the possibility you just f'ed up and made a mistake. He doesn't need to be turned into John Rocker or an equivalent.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I would just say heckling in general. If all the fan was saying was Duran needed a tennis racquet that doesn't warrant a reaction at all nevermind off the handle using the f word.

I can agree with this

The simple fact he uttered it doesn't really need to mean more than he made a terrible mistake. It doesn't automatically make him a terrible person. I suppose my problem here will be the social media warriors who now feel it's their duty to label Duran no matter what happens the rest of his career/life (or what has happened previously). To my knowledge this is the first time hearing anything like this regarding Duran. Sometimes it is possible to just step in it and make a terrible choice/mistake. It should be something he can overcome if he cares to.
Agreed. As long as people that have that opinion here feel the same about Andrew Shaw and all the other instances this happened, or if Dante Bichette Jr said it.

To me, it just seems like a weird go to to denigrate a population of people who had nothing to do with him or the fan and is a huge red flag to me, but I guess it's his go to.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Gotta have a better go-to if you’re Jarren, there are like a handful of words you can’t say there and that was one of them. Almost anything else works.

He’ll get fined and the proceeds will be donated- he should probably sit a game or two as well. I don’t think he’s truly hateful or soft or anything like that, I just think he’s an intense, immature hothead

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Agreed. As long as people that have that opinion here feel the same about Andrew Shaw and all the other instances this happened, or if Dante Bichette Jr said it.

To me, it just seems like a weird go to to denigrate a population of people who had nothing to do with him or the fan and is a huge red flag to me, but I guess it's his go to.
I never even knew about anything with Andrew Shaw till it was brough up just now ha. I am pretty clear with this stuff. I will never cancel someone for one instance like this of uttering a derogatory term. That doesn't accomplish anything. And I agree that in 2024 it shouldn't be anyone's go to. It was commonly used when I was growing up but I can safely say kids didn't fully understand the impact/meaning. That's not the case anymore. It should be something where young kids don't grow up hearing it thus it never enters their vocabulary. So for that it is surprising to hear for sure. So that part of it is at least concerning.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I never even knew about anything with Andrew Shaw till it was brough up just now ha. I am pretty clear with this stuff. I will never cancel someone for one instance like this of uttering a derogatory term. That doesn't accomplish anything. And I agree that in 2024 it shouldn't be anyone's go to. It was commonly used when I was growing up but I can safely say kids didn't fully understand the impact/meaning. That's not the case anymore. It should be something where young kids don't grow up hearing it thus it never enters their vocabulary. So for that it is surprising to hear for sure. So that part of it is at least concerning.
I used the exact term many a time on the ice in the early 80’s and I’m certainly not proud of it. I was in my late teens and it was something that was said usually as a reply to something that was said or done. I never really thought about what I was saying, as you mention it was a common phrase.

I think this guy just made a mistake. Seems we have too many perfect people who’s role is to judge other people while having said and done things as bad or worse than this.

Having said that, you obviously can’t be saying these things in this day and age and expect to not hear about it and that’s a good thing.

Just some thoughts someone will probably rip me over..

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I used the exact term many a time on the ice in the early 80’s and I’m certainly not proud of it. I was in my late teens and it was something that was said usually as a reply to something that was said or done. I never really thought about what I was saying, as you mention it was a common phrase.

I think this guy just made a mistake. Seems we have too many perfect people who’s role is to judge other people while having said and done things as bad or worse than this.

Having said that, you obviously can’t be saying these things in this day and age and expect to not hear about it and that’s a good thing.

Just some thoughts someone will probably rip me over..
Exactly.

It was not long ago "Ole" was replied to with "You're gay" when the Habs were in town, probably dating back to 2015? 2008-2011 it was always a thing.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Exactly.

It was not long ago "Ole" was replied to with "You're gay" when the Habs were in town, probably dating back to 2015? 2008-2011 it was always a thing.
I forgot about that, but it definitely happened.

I’m not condoning offensive language by the way, I just don’t want to be a hypocrite. You live, you learn and you become a better person.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Same. It's 2024 you can't just willy nilly say things such as that. I remember hearing people/kids use that word a good amount in the 90s growing up, back then though it never seemed to be taken as bad or offensive as it is now and the people that said it usually didn't even usually mean it in a homophobic fashion.. It was just said as a general mean insult.

Anyway hopefully the Sox bounce back against Texas tomorrow night. Is Bello back tomorrow? ESPN has him listed as the starting pitcher.

Exactly.

Dreghorn2

He's a Good Boy!
Feb 8, 2005
The use of the same slur that Duran used cost Thom Brennaman his career (albeit with a recent return to ACC football broadcasting), and that occurred four years ago.

You'd think that people would have gotten the message by now.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
It will be disappointing in MLB doesn't give him at least a one-game suspension. This can't happen. It just can't, so when it does there has to be punishment. It's really bad and really offensive. Doesn't matter if it was malicious or not. Gotta be responsible for your actions.

Now, this doesn't mean he's an evil guy or has hate in his heart. Heat of the moment people sometimes say stupid things they don't actually mean. What he does (or doesn't do) going forward will reveal what he's really all about. (This word still being in his vocabulary is not exactly great, though.)

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
It’s so much more fun to refer to someone as a silly goose or ear wax eater.

Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta