Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Well...not the response you'd want.

Screenshot_20240711_134519_Twitter.jpg

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Evans became my favorite player during the '78 season. His '81 season was going to be special before the strike wiped it out after 108 games. From '81-'89, he put up 9 consecutive seasons with at least 20 homers (back when 20 was a big deal). He collected 8 Gold Gloves. With all that said, I didn't think he was a Hall of Famer. I'm an advocate of a small Hall — only the elite. Evans was an exceptional player, but put him up against Aaron, DiMaggio, Ruth, Mantle, Williams, Yaz ... he just doesn't crack the list. Then they let in Baines and Helton. Several others make you scratch your head. It's not a Hall of elite players anymore.
Baines is absurd and was owner of White Sox putting fix in

Ironically I watched Steve Garvey from day 1 and never thought for one second he wasn’t a HOF

In the 70’s when you had baseball Saturday game of week - and TWIB, you rarely saw players and teams Garvey was a baseball God.

My mind has him in but analytics is telling me ‘no, no….all those feelings, emotions, viewing, he wasn’t good - you were young and duped,’

Don Mattingly to me is HOF - the guy was for a time the best player in the game. We had Boggs (in and should be) and I spent 6 years looking at him jealous we didn’t have him and had Boggs

In my life I’ve seen no first baseman better then Mattingly in his hey day

Pujols clearly first ballot was meh from day left Cardinals to Anaheim

He kinda died to me - he was a Cardinals

But Don Mattingly not in and Baines in kind of makes it all a joke to me anyways

Gil Hodges same - the guy was larger than life my early years and the Brooklyn Dodgers were huge part of history

I can’t go old days gotta rely on baseball stats but 67 on I’m all over lol

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Wow, what in the hell is this response? LOL

Crazy thing is. He was never healthy and wasn't really when we traded for him. I would of rather kept Sale. Especially with Bailey being a savant.

Reactions: SPV

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Sacramento actually is temporary and ironically is the Giants AAA Affiliate; the Aviators, formerly the 51s, are the Athletics AAA Affiliate.... and simply, the team said they'll go by Athletics until Vegas..... remember, Sox have likely played them in KC AND Philadelphia as well;

Sea Dogs lose 8-2 in Hartford; Fitts tonight for Worcester and Wells for Portland in his 3rd start
I did say "last game against Oakland" for a reason :laugh: The road games are obviously where it will be most noticeable. The old Coliseum pre-Mount Davis in center field had such a gorgeous view-

ASxdZpef6acscqj2Crvg4IoloVyLHUBzWJTqmYqILJo.jpg

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So as we get closer to the Draft, for those who are really IN to prospects (baseball prospects are just so f***ing hard to follow/project because it's all so wild!), got a question for you all:

Who do you WANT the Sox to Draft? And who do you THINK will be there/they will draft?

Additionally...what are the odds we see any of The Big 3 with the team this season? Or someone like Yorke or another promising youngster?

Reactions: SPV and sarge88

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I really think that quote is a nothing burger. As a matter of fact he’s objectively right. He’s frustrated by the year he’s had because he’s basically always been sick or injured, he wants to get back to playing his game, he has hit everywhere he has gone and he knows that, if he gets back to playing his game and the Sox don’t like it they have the next man up and he’ll be out of a job. There’s literally nothing wrong with it. It’s called being real.

Also his hamstrings were not destroyed when we traded for him

Reactions: GatorMike

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I really think that quote is a nothing burger. As a matter of fact he’s objectively right. He’s frustrated by the year he’s had because he’s basically always been sick or injured, he wants to get back to playing his game, he has hit everywhere he has gone and he knows that, if he gets back to playing his game and the Sox don’t like it they have the next man up and he’ll be out of a job. There’s literally nothing wrong with it. It’s called being real.

Also his hamstrings were not destroyed when we traded for him
Nobody said his hamstrings were destroyed
His health has been a concern in Atlanta. I don't blame him being frustrated by getting the sick, losing weight, getting strength up and then hurting his hammys.

However, his answer to the question tells me he is immature. And not ready for the spotlight here, which was also a worry. He could and should of answered a bit differently. I don't fault him being frustrated. But he just doesn't seem, to me at this time, ready for the bright lights of Boston.

I'd like nothing more to see the kid succeed.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Nobody said his hamstrings were destroyed
His health has been a concern in Atlanta. I don't blame him being frustrated by getting the sick, losing weight, getting strength up and then hurting his hammys.

However, his answer to the question tells me he is immature. And not ready for the spotlight here, which was also a worry. He could and should of answered a bit differently. I don't fault him being frustrated. But he just doesn't seem, to me at this time, ready for the bright lights of Boston.

I'd like nothing more to see the kid succeed.
I think you’re projecting that onto him. Being honest isn’t being immature. Sox fans love shooting their #takez off, Casas was getting them for the first half of last season. People should just be transparent and say they wanna bash him for hitting .150 instead of trying to shit on his character. He also had over 500 AB each of the last 2 year between the majors and minors, I’d hardly call that an injury problem

Reactions: lopey

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Who do you WANT the Sox to Draft? And who do you THINK will be there/they will draft?

Additionally...what are the odds we see any of The Big 3 with the team this season? Or someone like Yorke or another promising youngster?
My favorite prospect that has something of a chance to be available to the Sox at #12 is Bryce Rainer, a 19-year old SS/3B from California. He probably won't be there.

I think there's a pretty clear Top 10, and if any of them fall to #12, they Sox should probably jump on them. After that, the next tier is filled with most college bats, and most of them don't excite me. I like Tennessee's Christian Moore and Florida State's Cam Smith slightly more than the other options.

As for Mayer, Teel, and Anthony playing in the majors this year? I don't believe in saying "never", so I'll go with 0.1%

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
My favorite prospect that has something of a chance to be available to the Sox at #12 is Bryce Rainer, a 19-year old SS/3B from California. He probably won't be there.

I think there's a pretty clear Top 10, and if any of them fall to #12, they Sox should probably jump on them. After that, the next tier is filled with most college bats, and most of them don't excite me. I like Tennessee's Christian Moore and Florida State's Cam Smith slightly more than the other options.

As for Mayer, Teel, and Anthony playing in the majors this year? I don't believe in saying "never", so I'll go with 0.1%

CALI SS LETS GOOOOOO

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
MLB needs to put in a rule stating that if a starting pitcher has a no hitter past six innings, barring injury or illness, he must stay in. Paul Skenes just finished seven dominant hitless innings this afternoon (including a 6 pitch seventh!!). And they took him out. What a joke. This is the second time they did this to him. He looks like he could give Nolan Ryan a run for his money but it will never happen now. The kid's a freak.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
MLB needs to put in a rule stating that if a starting pitcher has a no hitter past six innings, barring injury or illness, he must stay in.
Well that rule wouldn't work - all a Manager would have to do is go out to the mound and tell the pitcher that he's getting pulled and then have the pitcher tell the umpire that his pitching arm is starting to hurt.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
I think you’re projecting that onto him. Being honest isn’t being immature. Sox fans love shooting their #takez off, Casas was getting them for the first half of last season. People should just be transparent and say they wanna bash him for hitting .150 instead of trying to shit on his character. He also had over 500 AB each of the last 2 year between the majors and minors, I’d hardly call that an injury problem
For the sake of context, here is Cotillo's X thread and article link (I don't have a sub, so I have to stick with his posts).

To be fair to Grissom, we don't know from the X thread what Cotillo asked him. The lead paragraph and Grissom's quote don't seem analogous, which makes the quote even more jarring. I might be mistaken, but it seems intentional. As a journalist, this gives me pause (and, again, I could be wrong) and smacks of clickbait. Another indicator is that the Grissom quote that Cotillo uses after the initial one isn't nearly as aggressive and contains better context (even though there are just 4 words).

With all that out of the way, and taking the quote at face value, it comes across as dismissive and disrespectful of Cora, the coaches and the front office. If that's accurate, of course he's honest, but it's also immature. Telling your employer that you don't care if they "like it" isn't a good look and you'll likely find yourself in the dog house pretty quickly. And, to be frank, soft-tissue injuries like pulled hamstrings and groins are a conditioning issue. They are the most preventable in baseball.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

I'm just going off of what Braves fans have said about him, and what he's done and said while being apart of the Sox organization.

I hope it works out for him here because he's got talent. Just hasn't put it all together.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Sometimes it is.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm just going off of what Braves fans have said about him, and what he's done and said while being apart of the Sox organization.

I hope it works out for him here because he's got talent. Just hasn't put it all together.
There’s been nothing been said about his character, as a matter of fact I think ppl in the Atlanta front office came out and specifically said he’s a great kid. They just had nowhere for him to play because he’s not a SS.

It’s a typical hack Boston headline that means nothing meant to generate clicks (and honestly it’s not even doing a good job, it’s barely being talked about on Sox forums because it’s a nothing story).

Sometimes it is.
Yeah well in fairness you thought the same thing about Casas anytime he opened his mouth when he was struggling so forgive me if idrc

Sorry he didn’t give you guys a cookie cutter response and he was just being real. I don’t find it “dismissive” at all, it’s just the fact of the matter. If he comes up and they don’t like the way he plays he’ll be replaced. Make a mountain out of it if you guys want, I think it’s dumb

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
So as we get closer to the Draft, for those who are really IN to prospects (baseball prospects are just so f***ing hard to follow/project because it's all so wild!), got a question for you all:

I think we’ll probably draft Tibbs, who sounds like he has a decent bat. I’m intrigued by Brody Brecht, who is ranked closer to the bottom of the first round. It sounds like he has great stuff but bad control, we seem to have the right guy on board to fix that, but I doubt we reach at 12 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad