Red Sox/MLB 2024 Regular Season 3 - After 90 games the Sox are 50-40

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Thursday night's game could be the Sox last ever against Oakland, with them moving to Sacramento next year. Sad, end of an era. Great franchise in the 70s-early 90s, many memories of Canseco/McGuire/Henderson back in the day, roids be damned. They were fun to watch.

Reactions: lopey

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Thursday night's game could be the Sox last ever against Oakland, with them moving to Sacramento next year. Sad, end of an era. Great franchise in the 70s-early 90s, many memories of Canseco/McGuire/Henderson back in the day, roids be damned. They were fun to watch.
My strongest memories are the Catfish Hunter, Blue, Fingers, Jackson and Rudi A's.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
My strongest memories are the Catfish Hunter, Blue, Fingers, Jackson and Rudi A's.

IMG_2950.jpeg

What might have been …

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
I was just a baby when this happened, but yeah. Never was really sure where Rudi would have fit with the outfield we had at the time, but just Fingers alone would have been interesting to see over the next few seasons with the lineup they had.
I'm not sure, either. Rudi was a little better hitter than Evans at that time, but one can argue it was negligible. Rudi had a better batting average (.270 vs. .242), but Evans was right there in OBP & SLG. Both won a Gold Glove that season. I wonder if the Sox were going to trade Evans or Rudi for a starter.

Reactions: SPV

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm not sure, either. Rudi was a little better hitter than Evans at that time, but one can argue it was negligible. Rudi had a better batting average (.270 vs. .242), but Evans was right there in OBP & SLG. Both won a Gold Glove that season. I wonder if the Sox were going to trade Evans or Rudi for a starter.

Rudi also had 94 RBI, Evans 62.

They were not really comparable at that time in their careers. Evans was a real late bloomer. His best seasons came well after 1976.

At the time, Rudi was known as a clutch hitter, Dewey just the opposite.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005

They were not really comparable at that time in their careers. Evans was a real late bloomer. His best seasons came well after 1976.

That's a fair point. Dewey was also just 24 to Rudi's 29. When Evans recovered vertigo and Walt Hriniak became hitting coach, he seemed to put it all together.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
That's a fair point. Dewey was also just 24 to Rudi's 29. When Evans recovered vertigo and Walt Hriniak became hitting coach, he seemed to put it all together.

You could say Rudi had the better prime, Evans the better career.

Dewey went from choke to clutch. Usually that goes in the opposite direction as hitters age and bat speed slows.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Sacramento actually is temporary and ironically is the Giants AAA Affiliate; the Aviators, formerly the 51s, are the Athletics AAA Affiliate.... and simply, the team said they'll go by Athletics until Vegas..... remember, Sox have likely played them in KC AND Philadelphia as well;

Sea Dogs lose 8-2 in Hartford; Fitts tonight for Worcester and Wells for Portland in his 3rd start

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Joe Rudi was most underrated player in baseball

My favorite player

Evans was nowhere near him early on

Rudi was a star

Evans was third wheel on an iconic OF and once Lynn left his trajectory started

I never, ever thought once Dwight Evans was going to be a HOF till maybe the last year or so

Lynn absolutely
Nomar absolutely
Rice absolutely
Bobby Bonds absolutely
Dave Parker absolutely
Orlando Cepeda absolutely
Don Mattingly absolutely

But then shit happened

Rice was able to hang on to those first 6+ monster years

Nomar after 5 years was Joe DiMaggio

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Joe Rudi was most underrated player in baseball

My favorite player

Evans was nowhere near him early on

Rudi was a star

Evans was third wheel on an iconic OF and once Lynn left his trajectory started

I never, ever thought once Dwight Evans was going to be a HOF till maybe the last year or so

Lynn absolutely
Nomar absolutely
Rice absolutely
Bobby Bonds absolutely
Dave Parker absolutely
Orlando Cepeda absolutely
Don Mattingly absolutely

But then shit happened

Rice was able to hang on to those first 6+ monster years

Nomar after 5 years was Joe DiMaggio
Evans became my favorite player during the '78 season. His '81 season was going to be special before the strike wiped it out after 108 games. From '81-'89, he put up 9 consecutive seasons with at least 20 homers (back when 20 was a big deal). He collected 8 Gold Gloves. With all that said, I didn't think he was a Hall of Famer. I'm an advocate of a small Hall — only the elite. Evans was an exceptional player, but put him up against Aaron, DiMaggio, Ruth, Mantle, Williams, Yaz ... he just doesn't crack the list. Then they let in Baines and Helton. Several others make you scratch your head. It's not a Hall of elite players anymore.

Reactions: SPV

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Not to speak ill of the dead, but she and her brother were the twits behind the cryogenics bullshit, either tricking him into signing or forging a signature on something that contravened his will's desire for cremation. I'm sure she's on ice with her brother now too.

I felt bad for the eldest daughter from his first marriage who was fighting for her dad's best interest, and basically got financially suffocated by the courts until she had to drop the suit in exchange for her share of the estate.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Evans became my favorite player during the '78 season. His '81 season was going to be special before the strike wiped it out after 108 games. From '81-'89, he put up 9 consecutive seasons with at least 20 homers (back when 20 was a big deal). He collected 8 Gold Gloves. With all that said, I didn't think he was a Hall of Famer. I'm an advocate of a small Hall — only the elite. Evans was an exceptional player, but put him up against Aaron, DiMaggio, Ruth, Mantle, Williams, Yaz ... he just doesn't crack the list. Then they let in Baines and Helton. Several others make you scratch your head. It's not a Hall of elite players anymore.

I wouldn't put Yaz in with that group.

I would probably fight you on that.

Joe Rudi's 7-year peak WAR was 23.6.
Evans' 7-year peak WAR was 37.4.

I'm sure you would win the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad