Newton, MA
Visit site

1718214668274.png

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Hello my fellow Red Sox Fans!

I'm woefully behind on following much of the team this season, just a lot of life stuff going on that has taken me out of a lot of sports watching/keeping up on.

Those of you who are familiar/knowledgeable of Baseball Prospects, can you fill me in on how the Sox prospects are doing this year? I know that it was looked on that Mayer had a down year last year (injury not withstanding), and possibly had "slid" in the eyes of the talent evaluators around the game (not for nothing--I picked up The Show 24 and noticed he's not in the game lol).

But how are our young guns looking? When do we think we might see some of them in the majors? etc.

What's the scoop?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Hello my fellow Red Sox Fans!

I'm woefully behind on following much of the team this season, just a lot of life stuff going on that has taken me out of a lot of sports watching/keeping up on.

Those of you who are familiar/knowledgeable of Baseball Prospects, can you fill me in on how the Sox prospects are doing this year? I know that it was looked on that Mayer had a down year last year (injury not withstanding), and possibly had "slid" in the eyes of the talent evaluators around the game (not for nothing--I picked up The Show 24 and noticed he's not in the game lol).

But how are our young guns looking? When do we think we might see some of them in the majors? etc.

What's the scoop?
Mayer has rebounded, he’s risen back up lists. He’ll probably see Worcester later this summer. Still some concerns with offspeed but nothing too unusual for his age

Roman Anthony is red hot right now. He’s still my #1. Absolute stud.

Teel is raking too

Luis Perales made a huge leap into some ppls top 50’s but he has elbow inflammation right now. Looking like their best starting pitching prospect since Buchholz

Miguel Bleis just got moved up to Greenville. He will be on top 100 lists

Kristian Campbell just got moved up to Portland and continues to rake. He could eventually see top 100 lists, he’s sacrificed some contact to absolutely pummel the ball.

Matthew Lugo has rebounded and is one of the best hitters in MiLB this year.

I really like Zanetello a lot from what I’ve seen- just looks like the best player on the field when he’s out there. He has been a little bit injury prone so far

Dick Fitts seems like more of a back end of the rotation guy than a middle of the rotation guy

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Mayer has rebounded, he’s risen back up lists. He’ll probably see Worcester later this summer. Still some concerns with offspeed but nothing too unusual for his age

Roman Anthony is red hot right now. He’s still my #1. Absolute stud.

Teel is raking too

Luis Perales made a huge leap into some ppls top 50’s but he has elbow inflammation right. Looking like their best starting pitching prospect since Buchholz

Miguel Bleis just got moved up to Greenville. He will be on top 100 lists

Kristian Campbell just got moved up to Portland and continues to rake. He could eventually see top 100 lists, he’s sacrificed some contact to absolutely pummel the ball.

Matthew Lugo has rebounded and is one of the best hitters in MiLB this year.

I really like Zanetello a lot from what I’ve seen- just looks like the best player on the field when he’s out there. He has been a little bit injury prone so far

Dick Fitts seems like more of a back end of the rotation guy than a middle of the rotation guy
Dick Fitts in the back end represents the state of the franchise perfectly.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Houston.......of course it's Houston. :laugh:

from si.com:

The Trevor Bauer to Houston Astros rumors continued to gain serious traction over the weekend after first flaring up last week.

After requesting a private tryout from Bauer last week, the Astros watched him throw a bullpen session on Friday. Based on a social media post from Bauer on Saturday, the interest is apparently mutual.

Bauer posted a story to his Instagram account on Saturday of him reaching into a rack of baseball hats and pulling out an orange Houston cap, suggesting that he could be joining the Astros soon and adding more fuel to intensifying rumors swirling around both sides.

Bauer hasn't appeared in an MLB game in nearly three years, but he was one of the best pitchers in baseball prior to his absence. The talented right-hander was an All-Star in 2018 with the Cleveland Guardians and won the 2020 NL Cy Young award for the Cincinnati Reds, leading the NL in ERA that year.

In 10 MLB seasons, Bauer is 83-69 with a 3.79 ERA, a 1.24 WHIP and a 9.8 K/9 in nearly 1,300 career innings. He's also been outstanding in the playoffs with a 2.94 ERA across 33 2/3 postseason innings.

Despite Bauer's polarizing presence and controversial history, it's easy to see why Houston is interested in signing him. The Astros' rotation has been decimated by injuries this year, resulting in a losing record and a disappointing start to the season. Houston has a lot of ground to make up if it wants to make the playoffs, and adding a proven starter like Bauer could give its pitching staff a significant boost.

Meanwhile, Bauer is looking for a second chance to prove he's still an MLB-caliber pitcher after several years out of the league. Not many teams have shown interest in him due to his personal baggage, but the Astros are apparently willing to overlook that.

Houston is already one of MLB's most disliked teams due to its 2017 cheating scandal and recent success, so the franchise doesn't have much to lose on the PR front. Signing Bauer would make plenty of sense for both sides, so don't be surprised if they strike a deal sooner rather than later.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
With the MLB Draft about a month away CBS Sports put out their first Mock Draft - they have the Sox taking a High School SS at #12.

12. Boston Red Sox
Mock pick: SS Bryce Rainer, Westlake HS (California)
Slot value: $5,484,600

Under the previous front office regime, the Red Sox went for bat-first high schoolers in the first round (Triston Casas in 2018, Nick Yorke in 2020, Marcelo Mayer in 2021, Mikey Romero in 2022) before pivoting to college catcher Kyle Teel last year. That was more a function of how the draft played out -- Teel was not expected to be available at the No. 14 pick and Boston pounced -- than a shift in philosophy. This will be the Red Sox's first draft with lead exec Craig Breslow and second under scouting director Devin Pearson, who was the team's assistant scouting director when they took Casas, Mayer, et al. The bet here is they go back to the high school ranks and take Rainer given who's on the board.

Full Mock Draft: 2024 MLB Mock Draft: Georgia's Charlie Condon just misses No. 1, two-way Florida phenom slips out of top five

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
With the MLB Draft about a month away CBS Sports put out their first Mock Draft - they have the Sox taking a High School SS at #12.

12. Boston Red Sox
Mock pick: SS Bryce Rainer, Westlake HS (California)
Slot value: $5,484,600

Under the previous front office regime, the Red Sox went for bat-first high schoolers in the first round (Triston Casas in 2018, Nick Yorke in 2020, Marcelo Mayer in 2021, Mikey Romero in 2022) before pivoting to college catcher Kyle Teel last year. That was more a function of how the draft played out -- Teel was not expected to be available at the No. 14 pick and Boston pounced -- than a shift in philosophy. This will be the Red Sox's first draft with lead exec Craig Breslow and second under scouting director Devin Pearson, who was the team's assistant scouting director when they took Casas, Mayer, et al. The bet here is they go back to the high school ranks and take Rainer given who's on the board.

Full Mock Draft: 2024 MLB Mock Draft: Georgia's Charlie Condon just misses No. 1, two-way Florida phenom slips out of top five
I mean Casas wasn’t even part of the previous regimes draft. Also why does everyone keep having them draft SS. It is ridiculous.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
But he didn’t get drafted until he started catching.
There are reasons why really good High School players don't get drafted.

But fine...

Mookie Betts played shortstop in high school.

Dustin Pedroia was a shortstop in high school and stayed at shortstop at Arizona State.

In high school, the best athletes typically play shortstop because it's the most demanding defensive position. If a kid is athletic, he can typically move to a less demanding defensive position fairly easily as a pro.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
There are reasons why really good High School players don't get drafted.

But fine...

Mookie Betts played shortstop in high school.

Dustin Pedroia was a shortstop in high school and stayed at shortstop at Arizona State.

In high school, the best athletes typically play shortstop because it's the most demanding defensive position. If a kid is athletic, he can typically move to a less demanding defensive position fairly easily as a pro.
The difference is neither were first round picks. Wasting a first rounder on an athletic player is stupid and part of the reason why this team is so horrible defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad