Prospect Info: 2024 prospect tournament in LA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
According to Sheng, on his site, a source says Cagnoni will turn pro.

I think this is the best move for his development.

EDIT: article btw

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The kid had 18 goals and 70 points last year. Not an offensive spark plug is pretty critical.

That said, there was a narrative about him coming in that his offensive game was ahead of his defensive game which he was prone to occasional lapses and I found the opposite to be the case. He was pretty defensively responsible through all three games and if there was a serious miscue by him in the three games, I must have missed it (thought I still have about 7 more minutes to go in game 3).

On the other hand, he has a lot of development to do if he's going to become a contributor on the power play down the line. There is a massive chasm between how Cagnoni manages the offensive zone vs. Dickinson at this point in time.
You mean a defenseman simplified his game playing against pros compared to when he was playing kids? No kidding. :laugh:

Dickinson is never going to be a #1PPQB (more like a second unit trigger man, which was his role in London), and he's never going to dangle through five guys, obviously. As far as his offense goes, it's mostly fueled by good outlets, his bomb of a shot, and the occasional great pass. You'd be surprised how far that can go when you're playing for an elite OHL team.

But to your point, Dickinson gets himself into trouble when he takes too long to make decisions under pressure and when he tries bad home run passes that get intercepted. He can also occasionally drift out of position when defending the cycle and be a little too aggressive. That said, none of those issues were front and center in this showcase, which I was really happy about.

Reactions: vortexy

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Sturm will almost certainly be the center. Kunin is an option on the 4th line with literally any winger that isn't Eklund, Zetterlund, and Toffoli as an option. I don't see Graf making the team out of camp but if he impresses, he can get opportunities during the season. If Musty is making the team, you're really only looking at waiving someone like Givani Smith.

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Wennberg-Celebrini-Toffoli
Kostin-Smith-???
Musty-Sturm-???

Those two question mark spots can be any of Grundstrom, Goodrow, Kunin, and Dellandrea. All of those guys are guys I'd expect to make the team. They're paid like they should. That means that Couture is on IR and they either play injury games with guys like Givani Smith and/or Justin Bailey or they waive them with the intent of sending them to the Barracuda. I suspect that Musty is sent back to juniors and they accept whatever may happen in the next year while he plays in juniors. If Musty doesn't make the team, that spot is probably going to Givani Smith just as an easy guy to sit in the press box on most nights. Guys like Musty, Graf, Gushchin, Bordeleau, Cardwell, and Bystedt have to find some sort of role that they can play to contribute to the team to make it this year. Musty could use his size on the 4th line to contribute in that sort of role. I'm not sure the other guys have it in their game to fill a vacant 4th line winger role the way an NHL team tends to prefer. Graf seems like a top-nine guy or bust sort of guy like Bordeleau and Gushchin. Cardwell might bring more of the energy element typically seen out of players in that role. It'll be interesting to see but I don't see anyone surprising to make the team this season including
I'm really partial to the idea letting the kids stay in the minors and having a massive firesafe at the deadline and then bring them up. Storm, Kunin, Kostin, Granlund are all free agents at the end of the season and depending on their production could have decent value. All will certainly be given opportunities for points if they're playing in the top 9 with any of the three decent centers we got.

In a perfect world, Logan comes back at the end of the season to replace Granlund, or move Celebrini up to the top line, have Wennberg centering Logan and Zetterlund on the second (just spitballing). put Musty with Smith on the third line (and maybe Bordeleau).

I'd keep Smith around as a 13th forward because of his toughness, but I really want Cardwell to get an opportunity to see some real NHL minutes because he's earned it.

Reactions: Grinner

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I'm really partial to the idea letting the kids stay in the minors and having a massive firesafe at the deadline and then bring them up. Storm, Kunin, Kostin, Granlund are all free agents at the end of the season and depending on their production could have decent value. All will certainly be given opportunities for points if they're playing in the top 9 with any of the three decent centers we got.

In a perfect world, Logan comes back at the end of the season to replace Granlund, or move Celebrini up to the top line, have Wennberg centering Logan and Zetterlund on the second (just spitballing). put Musty with Smith on the third line (and maybe Bordeleau).
Only way Musty can play after the deadline is if they keep him all year....

I can definitely understand the logic of trying to maximize value of the to-be-ufa's to get the best assets in return as possible, rather than necessarily ice the best possible roster.

All that said, when the sharks were coming off an 11-71-2 record in their 2nd season, they were never supposed to be in consideration for the PO's in year 3, yet they shocked the world. They even beat DET in the jamie baker miracle and took toronto to 7.

I bring this up, because I think its wise to ice the best team possible and set a goal to make the POs, not just to tank again. I think you want the kids at all levels playing to win, and if GMMG ices an inferior team and they lose a ton, it's not great for development. I think winning cultures, winning expectations, and actually winning games is better for the development of young players than expecting to suck.

So, I hope the preseason and training camp is a genuine meritocracy. If the kids outplay the vets, then let the vets take the press box. Let the best man win...

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Only way Musty can play after the deadline is if they keep him all year....

I can definitely understand the logic of trying to maximize value of the to-be-ufa's to get the best assets in return as possible, rather than necessarily ice the best possible roster.

All that said, when the sharks were coming off an 11-71-2 record in their 2nd season, they were never supposed to be in consideration for the PO's in year 3, yet they shocked the world. They even beat DET in the jamie baker miracle and took toronto to 7.

I bring this up, because I think its wise to ice the best team possible and set a goal to make the POs, not just to tank again. I think you want the kids at all levels playing to win, and if GMMG ices an inferior team and they lose a ton, it's not great for development. I think winning cultures, winning expectations, and actually winning games is better for the development of young players than expecting to suck.

So, I hope the preseason and training camp is a genuine meritocracy. If the kids outplay the vets, then let the vets take the press box. Let the best man win...
I don't necessarily know if playing Musty and other kids makes the team better than the more experienced guys. It's one thing to have to adjust to the NHL, but playing on a losing squad isn't gonna help their confidence. If the goal is to just get them acclimated then sure, but I wouldn't be shocked if Musty came in next year and found immediate success.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
smith and celebrini perched, staring behind the net like gargoyles

It's very telling that out of all the scratches, we see these two guys are sitting there. Someone else said it before but the best thing for Smith was drafting Celebrini.

1726550357871.png

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Okay, this made me laugh: the Athletic writers all went to various rookie showcases and did an article recapping the standouts for each group. For the LA showcase, which included seven(!) whole NHL teams, and the only "standouts" listed for the whole tournament including seven(!!) NHL teams... was "the entire San Jose Sharks". :laugh:

The San Jose Sharks: There wasn’t one or two players who clearly stood out for me at the L.A. showcase, so I defaulted to the team that collectively was the most impressive. The Sharks were the No. 2-ranked team in the NHL Pipeline Rankings,and were neck and neck for me with Chicago for the No. 1 position. They showed their depth of young talent at this event. Even with No. 1 pick Macklin Celebrini having an average game by his standards in the first match against Utah, the Sharks played well enough to win. In their second game against a talented Anaheim team, they controlled the game even without Celebrini in the lineup. Will Smith clearly outplayed his Boston College teammate Cutter Gauthier, displaying his dynamic skill and playmaking. Their wingers in Quentin Musty, Collin Graf and Kasper Halttunen made a lot of plays, and Ethan Cardwell stood out at times as well with his hustle and speed. On defense, Luca Cagnoni, while small, showed he could help the offense a lot, and they had a lot of big blueliners who didn’t give Anaheim room. —Corey Pronman

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Okay, this made me laugh: the Athletic writers all went to various rookie showcases and did an article recapping the standouts for each group. For the LA showcase, which included seven(!) whole NHL teams, and the only "standouts" listed for the whole tournament including seven(!!) NHL teams... was "the entire San Jose Sharks". :laugh:
We are in bizarro world right now. I dont ever remember any good articles ever coming out of these events in the past 20 years lol.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
We are in bizarro world right now. I dont ever remember any good articles ever coming out of these events in the past 20 years lol.

Thats cause they used to be "Sharks prospect Who? with a solid game showing safe two-way play while receiving some nice passes from fellow prospect Who? While late round picks Who? and Who? displayed a lot of hustle"

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
It's very telling that out of all the scratches, we see these two guys are sitting there. Someone else said it before but the best thing for Smith was drafting Celebrini.

View attachment 907416
I would say it goes the other way around too, the best thing for Celebrini was to have Smith as a teammate to grow together and learn together. Best example with Crosby/Malkin, one year age difference.
They will push each other to be better every chance and will always be locked in that future PP1 destroying this league.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad