2024 Prospect Poll #8

Who is the Sabres' best remaining prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
RESULTS SO FAR:
  1. Devon Levi, G (84/146 votes, 57.5%) (--). Runner up: Jiri Kulich.
  2. Jiri Kulich, F (89/136 votes, 65.4%) (+1). Runner up: Konsta Helenius.
  3. Konsta Helenius, F (76/118, 64.4%) (NR). Runner up: Noah Ostlund.
  4. Noah Ostlund, F (79/120 votes, 69.8%) (+1). Runner up: Anton Wahlberg.
  5. Isak Rosen, F (43/128 votes, 33.6%) (+1). Runner up: Anton Wahlberg.
  6. Anton Wahlberg, F (54/109 votes, 49.5%) (+2). Runner up: Ryan Johnson.
  7. Ryan Johnson, D (81/96 votes, 84.4%) (--). Runner up: Vsedvolod Komarov.

RULES: Each poll will remain open for 2 days. In the case of a tie within the top 10, I'll create a 1-day runoff poll to decide the winner. Ties outside of the top 10 will be let stand as ties. For each additional poll, I will add the most commented next to add prospect.

ELIGIBILITY: All players whose rights are held by the Buffalo Sabres and who are eligible to win the Calder Trophy for the 2024-25 season are eligible inclusion. That means a prospect is eligible if--
  • He is under age 26 (as of September 15, 2024);
  • He has played no more than 25 games in any single preceding season; and
  • He has not played 6 or more games in each of any two or more preceding seasons.

NEXT TO ADD: Comment the player you want to see added to the next poll. The following players are eligible:
  • Forwards: Olivier Nadeau, Alexander Kisakov, Ethan Miedema, Tyler Tulio, Tyson Kozak, Viljami Marjala, Jake Richard, Matteo Costantini, Aaron Huglen, William von Barnekow, Gustav Karlsson, Stiven Sardaryan, Linus Sjodin, Vasili Zelenov, Joel Berndtsson
  • Defensemen: Simon-Pier Brunet, Luke Osburn, Patrick Geary, Shane Keohane, Norwin Panocha
  • Goalies: Topias Leinonen, Ryerson Leenders

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
RESULTS SO FAR:
  1. Devon Levi, G (84/146 votes, 57.5%) (--). Runner up: Jiri Kulich.
  2. Jiri Kulich, F (89/136 votes, 65.4%) (+1). Runner up: Konsta Helenius.
  3. Konsta Helenius, F (76/118, 64.4%) (NR). Runner up: Noah Ostlund.
  4. Noah Ostlund, F (79/120 votes, 69.8%) (+1). Runner up: Anton Wahlberg.
  5. Isak Rosen, F (43/128 votes, 33.6%) (+1). Runner up: Anton Wahlberg.
  6. Anton Wahlberg, F (54/109 votes, 49.5%) (+2). Runner up: Ryan Johnson.
  7. Ryan Johnson, D (81/96 votes, 84.4%) (--). Runner up: Vsedvolod Komarov.
I am going to consider RyJo the cutoff for a prospect tier - there was a lot of close votes 2-6 until we hit a consensus at #7. But the next batch is the group to watch.

Add Leinonin.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Novikov, Kisakov.

To me, Novikov's full KHL season at age 19 is still the most impressive season for any of our prospect D. And he backed it up with a solid AHL season at 20. I can imagine him getting a couple NHL games this year.

Anyone who has watched them closely care to compare Novikov and Komarov's games? Better skater, more physical? Floor and ceiling for each?

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
2 big bodied Russian defensemen. Both good passers and both can be physical at times.

I have to give the skating edge to Novikov because it's a clear point of opportunity for Komarov but certainly fixable and I have no doubt it will be improved by next summer.

Novikov, 6 months older and has been playing against men for a few years now, has the development nod. Also, he is an inch taller and about 20lbs heavier but we really won't know true weights until camp physicals.

Komarov is a rightie and I think his offense could translate a bit better but 3+20 for Novikov in his first AHL season is a great sign as well.

Overall, I love both of these guys and am looking forward to seeing them as a pairing in Buffalo one day. You already know I give the edge to Novikov because he's closer and has a bulkier frame. Hey @Fjordy any thoughts on a good nickname for a Russian tandem?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Novikov, Kisakov.

To me, Novikov's full KHL season at age 19 is still the most impressive season for any of our prospect D. And he backed it up with a solid AHL season at 20. I can imagine him getting a couple NHL games this year.

Anyone who has watched them closely care to compare Novikov and Komarov's games? Better skater, more physical? Floor and ceiling for each?

Novikov should develop into a very safe defensive defenseman. He's rangy, he's mobile enough to close on people and disrupt/kill plays. What has always stuck with me are the last games he played in the MHL after going down in the playoffs 2 years ago was how aggressive he was offensively against his age group. Then he did that in the 2023 dev camp and then in the rookie tournament. There is mobility and awareness there. It's interesting to poke around in under-21 year old rookie AHL defensemen and see he's in the mix with some guys who have made it if we look at A1's or A1's/G. It was always hard to get views with Dynamo because he so often wasn't playing, but that last MHL stint really popped to me.

I'm curious to see how Komarov translates his game up the next level. His offensive game has grown and grown - he can rip the puck, he knows when to pinch, how to make people miss to create lanes, how to look off a check to open space for teammates. And while he's not generally the guy leading a rush, he has improved his footwork a lot and can get up into the rush to fill a lane pretty well without being lost trying to get back. Defensively, he's grown as his strength has increased. He's been a bull against smaller Q forwards and he's not shy about tying people up and pinning people out, sometimes with authority. He does well around his own goal in defending short areas close to the crease IMO too.

To make far too general, far too broad categorizations, Novikov is sort of like Tallinder in some ways - lanky, with reach, and a knack for killing plays but there is also that hint of more that we haven't seen and is up to him to bring forward. Komarov is more like McNabb to me in that his game isn't about transiting the puck with his feet but he's got strengths at either end of the rink that will compliment anyone. Novikov isn't the skater Hank was, Komarov isn't as fierce as McNabb is/was so this is purely in a broad developmental sense.

I think Komarov, Novikov, Neuchev, Kleber, Strbak and maybe Poltapov are all in this cluster, not separated by much.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think Komarov, Novikov, Neuchev, Kleber, Strbak and maybe Poltapov are all in this cluster, not separated by much.

In general I agree with the contents of the tier, but I do personally place Strbak a tick higher.

Novikov strikes me as a poor man's Zadorov.......which means to me that Novikov's ultimate ceiling is likely capped at a mediocre 4 or good 5/6.

I have no clue what Komarov's ceiling is, nor do I have any idea how his skating will translate to the men's game. He's got the willingness, but again I'm not sure that even if he progresses out of the AHL....is he more than a 5/6 guy?

Strbak, to me...right now, seems like the safest bet to become that complementary 2nd pair guy and add something needed on the blueline.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
In general I agree with the contents of the tier, but I do personally place Strbak a tick higher.

Novikov strikes me as a poor man's Zadorov.......which means to me that Novikov's ultimate ceiling is likely capped at a mediocre 4 or good 5/6.

I have no clue what Komarov's ceiling is, nor do I have any idea how his skating will translate to the men's game. He's got the willingness, but again I'm not sure that even if he progresses out of the AHL....is he more than a 5/6 guy?

Strbak, to me...right now, seems like the safest bet to become that complementary 2nd pair guy and add something needed on the blueline.
Eh, he does it occasionally but I don't think Novikov takes himself out of plays nearly as often as young, exuberant Zadorov did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad